Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1986 Nautique 2001 Battery Drain / Alternator

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
86 Nautique 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86 Nautique 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1986 Nautique 2001 Battery Drain / Alternator
    Posted: April-18-2016 at 2:06pm
I have a brand-new battery in my 1986 2001 with a Ford 351 commander.   I Take the battery out and keep it charged when the boat is in storage.   I put the battery in the boat and start the motor, battery runs at about 12 V on the dash gauge.   I can start the motor several times, let it run, the charge goes back up to 12, after a couple of starts the battery drops to around 10 but charges back up to about 12V when started. Shouldn't it run closer to 13 or 14 while at idle in my driveway? I think I should take the alternator out and have it bench tested.   When I connect the trickle charger to the battery with the battery still connected in the boat the battery will not take a full charge. When I remove the battery from the boat in charge it it charges completely. I am thinking that I may have a wiring problem that's draining the battery. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start testing the wiring? I would like to find the battery draining problem I'm not sure where to start with electrical testing. Thank you all for your suggestions.
TD
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 2:25pm
Troy,
First, welcome to CCfan.

Yes, with the engine running, you should see a nominal 14 volts indicating the alternator is charging the battery. I suggest using a VOM (volt Ohm meter) to get some better readings. Do have the alternator tested. Make sure you aren't buying deep cycle batteries . The high amp draw of a starter will kill them. They are designed for low amp draws for extended periods of time like a trolling motor. A automotive starting battery is fine. You do not need a battery labeled "marine".Make sure your battery lugs and cable terminals are clean and tight. I suggest using a wire type battery post cleaner designed for the job. You can run a parasitic load test to see if there's something that's draining the battery. If the problem comes down to that, there are tutorials on line that are great visuals. There is no need to remove the battery during storage as long as it has a charge. For extended storage, I disconnect my batteries and leave them in the boat for the long cold winter up here in northern Wisconsin. Never a problem! If you do want to put a charger on the battery, make sure it's a maintenance type that will shut down completely. Many "trickle" chargers will burn up a battery if left on for long times.

One more thing is we always ask for pictures!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86 Nautique 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 4:24pm

Thank you for the welcome, quick reply, and the recommendation. I will research parasitic battery testing. I attached a photo of the old girl from the day I bought her. I have owned the boat for one year, this is my second summer. Since the photo I added pads on the trailer guides and have done typical maintenance on the motor, impeller, oil change, gas filter, spark plugs, rotor cap and rotor. She is in nice shape and runs great. I will add some photos of the battery and alternator Etc. if I get a chance to take some while removing the alternator for bench testing.
I will update the post with questions or results after some testing. Thanks again!
TD
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 11:06pm
A quick test is to just tap-connect the terminal (with the other one connected). It should not have any spark. If it does, something is drawing current.

I always do this when connecting a battery, just in case there is a short.

My guess is that your alternator has bad diodes.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 10:17pm
Odds are the alternator is working but corrosion and crappy factory dash wiring mixed in with old components and hack job wiring fixed over the years are causing the dash power to read lower than the alternator is actually putting out.

Test alternator output with the vom as Pete has suggested. If you need to jump deeper into the dash wiring there are many people here who can help.

Clean looking rig!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86 Nautique 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 5:57pm
Alternator output test about 14.5 (corrected from my notes) volts while running with volt meter. Battery stays about 13v after running for a few minutes. I learned that there is no alternator problem. I believe now that the starter needs to be replaced. It struggles to turn the fly wheel. I think this was draining the battery, trying to start the boat with the the starter struggling. I am not sure about the parasitic condition in the electrical system. I am doing some voltage tests now to determine if there is a problem.
The reason I remove the battery is because I keep the boat in storage and with the extreme temps here in AZ will ruin a battery if not maintained and kept from the heat.
I have looked into solar battery maintenance but not worth the cost.
I will replace the starter, us seems to be what needs to be done. I will have another post on the swim deck platform and attaching it to the stern.
Thanks everyone for your advice, your experience is appreciated.
TD
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 6:10pm
Before you replace the starter you need to run a voltage drop test on the positive and negative battery cables. If you don't know how to do that ask us.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86 Nautique 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 7:11pm
Please advise on your method for voltage drop test, it would be much appreciated.
TD
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 7:45pm
If you buy a new starter hold on to the old one until this project is back up and running I always say just get yours rebuilt because you know it's the correct one but others find they can buy new sometimes for the same price.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86 Nautique 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 2:09am
Thanks for the advice, sorry for the delay, the forum prior posts have helped in researching and learning more about this boat. Since this posting thread, And having to ride my jet ski all last summer, I have run into other issues with the motor and the improper maintenance of prior owners.
I will update this electrical thread when I get her back running...
The motor started to bog down and wouldn't rev up when throttled. The Holley Carb was just professionally rebuilt, tested then reinstalled. Still bogging, not revving up. So this lead us to believe it was a timing issue. I Started reading the thread on distributor and Vacuum advance port, it appears an automotive distributor has been installed. I will finish this post on that thread.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17591
TD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic