Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Swim Platform Bracket Backing Plates?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
boomhauer76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomhauer76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swim Platform Bracket Backing Plates?
    Posted: June-12-2006 at 7:21pm
I have built my own swim platform and stainless mounting brackets but am having second thoughts on how to mount them to the boat. Has anybody done this before? Should I use large backing plates inside the boat to evenly distribute the pressure so they don't crack or rip through the fiberglass. The boat is a 1977 Southwind that did not come with a swim platform from the factory. Is the transom even strong enough to hold a platform plus a couple of people? Any help would be appreciated. Also does anyone have a photo of the inside of the transom which shows the bolts for the brackets?
Thanks fellow CC owners.
Tom Southwind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Southwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 10:58pm
I have a 77 Southwind I am would like to put a swim platform on it also. I was looking a one on ebay need your help too.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 9:58am
I built my own platform and used new brackets from alloy marine. There are posts on here where people have just used washers when mounting the platform brackets. I did that initially but I changed my mind and made some backing plates from 3/16" x 2" aluminium flat bar stock. I think the washers would've been fine but I had a friend who's a big guy out on the boat and he asked me if the platform was rated for him. It held him and myself fine but I had nightmares of the brackets ripping out of the transom. So, I made the backing plates for piece of mind. Make sure you use marine sealant in the holes.

I will take pics of my set-up soon.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Tom Southwind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Southwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 1:27pm
Thanks for the info

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomhauer76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2006 at 3:48pm
Here is the Southwind with a new swim platform. Follow the link and there are some pictures of how I mounted it. Email me for any questions.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1407
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2006 at 4:06pm
boomhauer do you have any relatives in IN? your name sounds familar. Also did you buy or make the brackets? if you made then what grade of stainless did you use and did you have them passivated so they would not rust?

yes stainless can rust for everyont that thinks it doesn't.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomhauer76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2006 at 8:59pm
The stainless is 304 and I made them myself out of 1 inch by 1 inch angle that is 3/16 thick. I did not have them passivated. It is fresh water use only so they should last a while anyway.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2006 at 9:05am
79nautique, do you know any Boomhauers in IN? I am good friends of a Boomhauer family - take them boarding with me sometimes!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 9:36pm
My 75 had a home made platform on it. I left the brakets and put a teak one on it that I got from a CC employee that does work on the side. It fit like it was made for it. It even had extentions on each side that fit into the recesses on each side of the stern. The brackets have aluminum backers on the inside of the hull. I have had two people on the back many times and so far no problems.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic