Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need more help diagnosing trans problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hollywoodswole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollywoodswole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need more help diagnosing trans problems
    Posted: June-13-2006 at 8:31pm
Recently, I rebuilt the velvet drive in my 81 Southwind. Not many problems. I installed the pump the right way according to the manual for a right-hand rotation engine. My engine is clearly marked right-hand rotation. So now I'm confused.

Nothing is binding. I can spin the shaft by hand real easily. But shift into gear, and nothing happens. I fixed my problem with the lever pretty easily, so now it shifts, but the shaft won't spin. Is my pump on backwards? Or what else could be wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 6:53am
Hi Hollywoodswole

If your pump is lined up for RH then it's backwards.

Silly as it may sound, for your RH engine the pump needs to be indexed for LH because Borg Warner looks at rotation from the front of the trans looking toward the back which is opposite from how you determine engine rotation (looking from the back toward the front).

For it to work you need to index the pump for LH. If this sounds too hard to believe, do a search of the forums and you'll find a lot of transmission posts, some about this same problem.

keno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollywoodswole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 8:08am
No, it doesn't sound too hard to believe. After everything I had read, it became very confusing how it was being determined. The real kicker is I had it on correctly the first time, but second-guessed myself and changed it to the other way. Thanks so much for the help. I'll pull it and change it today.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollywoodswole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 3:31pm
Just an update. I pulled the trans, rotated to pump, and re-installed it in about 90 minutes. Works like a champ so far. I need to get it to the lake for a real world test while it's under load. Thanks for all y'all's help. I'll leave these threads hangin around in case someone else tries this and experiences similar results.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 3:49pm
Thats great news you must be relieved.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollywoodswole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Thats great news you must be relieved.

You have no idea.

It seems to be vibrating more than I remember, but it doesn't seem like enough to worry about. The real test will come on the water.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 7:44pm
Glad it worked for you.

It's one of those been there, done that type things that I learned the hard way a long time before the internet was around to be able to get help from.

keno
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2006 at 8:55am
Originally posted by hollywoodswole hollywoodswole wrote:

It seems to be vibrating more than I remember,

you need to check the shaft alignment, most likely, since you've pulled it twice, it needs adjusted a little.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollywoodswole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2006 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Originally posted by hollywoodswole hollywoodswole wrote:

It seems to be vibrating more than I remember,

you need to check the shaft alignment, most likely, since you've pulled it twice, it needs adjusted a little.

How do I do that?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic