Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Swim deck stern hull attachment and leak

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
86 Nautique 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86 Nautique 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swim deck stern hull attachment and leak
    Posted: June-02-2016 at 7:27pm
The swim deck was reattached by prior owner and several of the bolts are stripped out They are leaking slowly into the engine compartment. I will remove the swim deck and inspect, I believe I can repair the holes with marine expoxy and reattach the swim deck. Does anyone have a recommended repair for these swim deck holes in the stern?
I will send photos. Thanks again for all of the great advice.
TD
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 7:36pm
Troy,
When you say "bolts", I assume you are talking about a "lag" bolt and not a threaded fastener. Platforms were installed using lags into wood that was glassed into the transom. I'd have to say this wood has rotted and a repair from the outside with some epoxy you mention isn't going to work. What needs to be done and many have, is to gain access to the inside of the transom, put metal backing plates inside and the through bolt the platform brackets to them. What's the condition of other wood parts like the stringers? Any indication of problems with them? Have you checked the engine to prop shaft alignment lately?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
86 Nautique 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86 Nautique 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 2:52am
Yes they were lag bolts and they were not holding and they were leaking. They were not original lags, the PO had replaced them then tried to use silicone which obviously didn't work. Luckily not too much water damage, stringers appear to be on good shape. Have not checked prop shaft alignment, only visually.
I removed the gas tank to gain access and installed stainless nuts bolts and large washers on the brackets, then used a marine sealant on all the nuts and bolts. This seems to be working great so far. No leaks and the swim deck is solid. I'm Having trouble posting pictures on this forum with an iPad, but the deck brackets now look great.
While I had the swim deck off, I refinished it with teak oil. The PO had used a varnish on the swim deck. I may post my process that I used to remove the varnish and apply teak oil in that thread. Basically, It looks great, be sure to use a chemical to remove the varnish, then LIGHTLY CAREFULLY clean and sand. Then apply the new teak oil. Feels nice on the feet when wet.
I will search the thread for prop shaft alignment, thank you for the advice.
TD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic