Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1965 318 cooling problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
THutchins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THutchins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1965 318 cooling problem
    Posted: June-24-2016 at 7:19pm
I have a 1965 Barracuda with a Chrysler 318. Having an issue with half of the cooling system. The back half of the cooling pump draws immediately with good flow, but the front half does not seem to draw at all. Within a couple of minutes the front of the pump is very hot (back side cool) and the driver side manifold is very hot (other side normal). Impellers appear to be fine. Tried priming it and running a hose etc but nothing seems to help. Could the manifold, or the cooling ports in the engine be clogged? If so would running CLR through it clean out any rust etc?

Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated. Already had the drivers side manifold crack once due to heat. Don't want to risk anything else.

Thanks!
Tom
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 7:57pm
I would guess the one pump you speak of as getting hot has something wrong with it. i.e. shaft worn, pump housing worn where shaft rides (I had to have mine machined out and bushed) pump plate itself may have grooves.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 8:30pm
Tom,
Have you looked at the Chrysler manual cooling Schematic?
You have a dual pocket (two impeller) RWP (raw water pump). Put two new impellers in it and see what happens. You haven't by chance been running the engine without water hooked up? The rubber impellers are water lubricated and without water, it doesn't take long to burn them up!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
THutchins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THutchins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 10:03pm
Thanks! I will take a look at the shaft etc for wear, pump is only ~6 years old, but who knows!
And I have not intentionally been running without water :-) But sometimes it does seem to take a minute to prime. So I will replace the impellers. they look good but that's cheaper than replacing the whole pump!

Tom
THutchins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THutchins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 10:04pm
Also, I did look at the schematic and all looks good.
THutchins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THutchins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 10:50pm
Replaced the impellers and the pump is now working, staying nice and cool both sides. Now I notice that the right side manifold stays cool front to back, but the left side gets hot at the front. but stays fairly cool at the back of the engine,
Any ideas?

Thanks!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 12:08am
Originally posted by THutchins THutchins wrote:

the left side gets hot at the front. but stays fairly cool at the back of the engine,

Thanks!

How "hot" and how "fairly cool"? IR temp guns are pretty cheap these days and great for accurate temperatures but the rule of thumb is the human hand can take a constant 140 degrees

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 9:28am
I have not studied the '65 poly routing, but if it's like the '70-72 LA/LM chryslers that I've worked on, I would not expect the pump to run cool on both halves, especially once the engine is warm. One side pulls pre-warmed water from the exhaust. Manifold temp should be relatively uniform... So I would triple check your cooling system plumbing against the manual.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 11:59am
Now I have some checking to do! Mine are both getting fresh water from individual hull intakes.
THutchins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THutchins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 12:11pm
Mine has the hot return from the thermostat joining the infeed just before it splits to feed the 2 pump ports, I think the pump stays fairly cool (can touch) because it mixes the hot return and cold fresh before recirculating.
And while I don't have an IR thermometer the cool parts of the manifold can be touched, so <140F ish while the fairly hot front of the left side you can't touch, so well over 140F ish. Will try to get an IR temp on them both.

Thanks!
Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic