NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Commander 351 tstat housing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Commander 351 tstat housing
    Posted: June-19-2006 at 9:05pm
I posted in general, but I'll be more specific here...

When doing some hose replacement, I noticed a fair amount of corrosion around and inside of the thermostat housing. I removed the housing from the case and also removed the top of the housing to expose the tstat. The tstat was frozen in the housing and when I removed it, some of the seat came with it, which was no surprise. The housing is likely usable however I would rather replace the housing.

Is there a source for servicable Commander parts? Are there any other options such as using an Indmar or PCM Tstat housing?

This is a Ford Commander 351.

thanks
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2006 at 10:11pm
Does your housing split?
Tim D
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2006 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Does your housing split?

Yes it does Tim, in order to facilitate changing the tstat.

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2006 at 11:00pm
Not what I meant, does it split to a T?
Tim D
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2006 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Not what I meant, does it split to a T?

Yes, the upper portion of the housing splits..each side going to it's respective cooling jacket.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 12:51pm
It may be hard to find one.
Tim D
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 4:30pm
I know...I could take this to a sharp welder and have it redone, but if I could find a good unit, that would be preferable.

Any ideas on a source of Commander parts?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 4:32pm
Call PartMan - no nevermind - they got crusader
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 4:42pm
just buy the lower housing and upper housing from skidim and be done with it. The odds of finding a commander are slim and none.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

just buy the lower housing and upper housing from skidim and be done with it. The odds of finding a commander are slim and none.

Which brand? Skidim was talking adapters, compatibility...maybe having to use different size hoses, etc....

Maybe I had the wrong guy on the horn. What do I need to get from them, and I'll get it coming.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 4:53pm
what size hose connects to the exhaust manifolds? if it is 1" or 3/4" hose (can't remember exactly) then the PCM should work. I'm going on the assumption that it is the housing that mounts to the intake and has a 1-1/4" hose going to the bottom housing that holds the t-stat and a upper housing that has three 1" lines one from the RWP and one each to the exhaust mainfolds.

Can you take a picture and post it here so we can have a better understanding of what your running into.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2006 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

what size hose connects to the exhaust manifolds? if it is 1" or 3/4" hose (can't remember exactly) then the PCM should work. I'm going on the assumption that it is the housing that mounts to the intake and has a 1-1/4" hose going to the bottom housing that holds the t-stat and a upper housing that has three 1" lines one from the RWP and one each to the exhaust mainfolds.

Can you take a picture and post it here so we can have a better understanding of what your running into.

I have a wicked crappy connection here at the hotel in ACY. I'll try to post a picture this evening. I have a good one showing the entire housing as it sits on the engine.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 9:35am
Here is the picture folks.

thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=166833229&size=l
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 10:30am
osco makes the housing you need to work check out there website
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 10:40am
and the url? cause OSCO.com is not it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 10:42am
oscomotors.com
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2006 at 10:44am
ah ha...thanks

BINGO. They essentially have the exact housing. It's on the way.

Thanks so much '79
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic