NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bent Strut

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 1:41pm
Well, I have to update you all with my current anger level.
So I call Admiral last Thursday, and they say to drop the strut at my local boat place, Marine Supply, in Winter Haven. Admiral was going to pick up Friday, and deliver today-Tuesday. Of course I go to pick it up today, and was told that somehow they missed it for drop off Friday. and that it was sent this morning.
So I really need the strut for my work timeing purposes. I call Admiral, and they say they can't talk to me because Marine Supply is their customer.
So now we get into the deal where Marine Supply gets to upcharge me for their goof up. We get into the middle man territory that is pretty frustrating. So I call Marine Supply, and no one can take my call with any authority to make a decision. So now I am waiting for a call back. I am at a George Costanza rageaholics level.
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 2:46pm
So the update is that apparently Marine Supply in Winter Haven Florida simply wants to say "we goofed" and not make any adjustments for being the "drop box" for parts machining. Admiral has agreed to work with me directly, so that is fine by me.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 4:56pm
Basically lesson learned then? You were paying Marine supply their cut for them to handle your shipping,they dropped the ball. Next time shipping it direct would be cheaper than their cut but not any faster.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Basically lesson learned then? You were paying Marine supply their cut for them to handle your shipping,they dropped the ball. Next time shipping it direct would be cheaper than their cut but not any faster.

Yeah, absolutely. I called Admiral, and they recommended the drop off, so I just did it. Man, I don't even want to get into what transpired after my last post. Lets just say I am not doing business with the local marine supply store.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2017 at 6:26am
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

Yeah, absolutely. I called Admiral, and they recommended the drop off, so I just did it. Man, I don't even want to get into what transpired after my last post. Lets just say I am not doing business with the local marine supply store.

Tom, Tom, Tom......
I was gonna be a nice guy and not throw you under the bus but I just can't resist now.
In all fairness, I stumbled into this post a little late and I texted you about taking it to Admiral after you'd already taken it to Marine Supply. My bad on that one.

I've been to Admiral several times for myself and JBear. They've done prop work and straightened out struts. By far, probably the highest quality work from any prop place I've personally ever used. Can't say enough good things about them. But I digress.

Now, I applaud you for being the considerate fellow you are and you always want to help stimulate the local economy. This is so inspiring to each and every one of us.

But.........

Yes, here comes the but.........

BUTT (as in BUTTHEAD)....I drive right past your place twice a day to and from work....to Tampa....where Admiral just happens to be.
Pickup and delivery right to your doorstep. And it would've been a lot faster. Most every time I've taken anything to them, it's been a couple days at most.
I figure it's easily the least I can do for you letting us use your dock all the time.
No worries....no headaches.....no problems.
A phone call is all it would've taken.

I also have a dial indicator you're welcome to use too......with a magnetic base.
That'll keep Pete off your ass anyway.....LOL

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2017 at 10:58am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Tom, Tom, Tom......
I was gonna be a nice guy and not throw you under the bus but I just can't resist now.
In all fairness, I stumbled into this post a little late and I texted you about taking it to Admiral after you'd already taken it to Marine Supply. My bad on that one.

I've been to Admiral several times for myself and JBear. They've done prop work and straightened out struts. By far, probably the highest quality work from any prop place I've personally ever used. Can't say enough good things about them. But I digress.

Now, I applaud you for being the considerate fellow you are and you always want to help stimulate the local economy. This is so inspiring to each and every one of us.

But.........

Yes, here comes the but.........

BUTT (as in BUTTHEAD)....I drive right past your place twice a day to and from work....to Tampa....where Admiral just happens to be.
Pickup and delivery right to your doorstep. And it would've been a lot faster. Most every time I've taken anything to them, it's been a couple days at most.
I figure it's easily the least I can do for you letting us use your dock all the time.
No worries....no headaches.....no problems.
A phone call is all it would've taken.

I also have a dial indicator you're welcome to use too......with a magnetic base.
That'll keep Pete off your ass anyway.....LOL

Thanks Eddie
Hey, do you want to check with me today? They should have it done and they have my cc number. Admiral as really great to work with one on one. I don't blame them at all on this. I guess MS has too much business here in Winter Haven--even for repeat customers like me. MS acted like they were doing me a favor, and that I was an ass for not liking that they failed at simply being a drop box. The attitude was the problem. I suggested that they drop their profit since they failed in their primary duty of simply handing the strut to the delivery guy, and then I was really treated like an ass. I brought them lots of team business, and maybe they were having a bad day, but yikes. I could go on, but all is well now.
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2017 at 10:51pm
Well, the strut came back and looks pretty good. It is installed and the shaft is throwing .019 at the taper and .010 at the middle of the shaft between the strut and the boat log. It is turning very nicely with soapy water lube, but I guess I need to break down and get an ARE shaft from Skidim. Anyone know of a better deal?
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2017 at 2:51pm
Sigh. The comedy of errors continue. In my exuberance to get the measurements for the new shaft, I went back to old habits of simply cutting the old shaft out. I jumpsed in, cut the shaft, slid it out the back, unbolted the coupler to find............it was a double tapered ARE shaft! If I was not an idiot, I could have removed it and had the shaft straightened!! Anyhoo, the new shaft is on order and should be in next Friday.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2017 at 4:18pm
Can't you just gorilla glue it??
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2017 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Can't you just gorilla glue it??

Well, I tried JB Weld and duct tape, but then I could only get it back to .018 before it snapped.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2017 at 6:22pm
I use zip ties and popsicle sticks...works great for easy aligning! LOL   
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2017 at 3:48pm
The ARE shaft is in and the engine mounts are lubed up ready for alignment. I forget what I used last time to shove the engine around. Any suggestions?
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2017 at 5:22pm
Tom,
A crow bar and a block of wood has always worked for me.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2017 at 8:08pm
OK, I reread this thread and got the shaft at .003.
Alignment

I used a block of wood and a crow bar like Pete said. I blasted the engine mounts with PB Blaster and a wire brush, and they all moved pretty well. I re did the packing in the shaft bushing and I had to shim the strut just slightly to get the shaft centered in the log. Since I am in there, I am going to repack the rudder bushing, lap the prop on and give it a twirl.

1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2017 at 9:45pm
Good job on your efforts.. I'll tell you, it's a whole lot easier reading a thread than being the one doing the work. Seems like you've been busy. Hope it all works out.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 12:21am
Originally posted by sport1999 sport1999 wrote:

Good job on your efforts.. I'll tell you, it's a whole lot easier reading a thread than being the one doing the work. Seems like you've been busy. Hope it all works out.

Yep, the rudder is back in (Did you know Mastercraft does not use packing in the rudder box? O rings and grease keep the water out.) and I am ready to put it in the water tomorrow to check it before I put the upholstery back in. and the prop spins with one finger. Does anyone use locktight on the coupler bolts?
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 12:31am

Sooooo. I hit some stumps and the strut is bent. I have the prop off and at Rob's shop,

on lake Carlin?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 4:29am
I've never used loc tite on the coupler bolts, 3 direct drive boats and about 2,000 hours and none have come loose so far.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Sooooo. I hit some stumps and the strut is bent. I have the prop off and at Rob's shop,

on lake Carlin?

john

No, Over on Lake Silver. If I had just stayed on Lake Carlin, all would have been well. BUT, I do need help moving my boat lift on Lake Carlin. The water is dropping so fast I am beginning to think someone might have pulled the cork out of the bottom of the lake.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I've never used loc tite on the coupler bolts, 3 direct drive boats and about 2,000 hours and none have come loose so far.

Sounds good! I test ran it today and it ran great. Not that I am glad it happened, but when I bought the boat I did feel some vibration and knew I needed to go through the system, but it is so easy to just turn the key and ski and ignore the indicators that you need to pull apart an unfamiliar boat. Now that it is done, the vibration is gone and I am glad I am not putting a strain on the transmission with a misaligned shaft/log/strut combo. I have it back in the garage to finish up a few gizmos and to put the flooring back in.
Thanks CCFAN for having such great advisers all in one place.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 7:06pm
Tom,
Glad you got the boat back in shape. Happy boating and do watch out for those stumps!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic