NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1993 S.N..what to look for?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

^^ Not a tow point.

What? The spool tow point just below the transom step plate? Of course it is. It consists simply of a bolt-through design with a fender washer on the back so I wouldn't overload it, but that's what it's for. What other use could it possibly have?

Here is the decal near mine. The problem that comes up using it,which has been posted here years back, is that the rope will eventually loosen it. Mine was loose when I got it,some have cut a piece of pvc pipe split it and snapped it over the spool. The rope then turns on it and it slides on the spool. Says right on there NO tubes ;)

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Here is my old 93' proboss after the protech was trashed, notice the different shroud :)

Larger shroud is for the Protec (it extended rearward and covered the coil packs), not HO/non-HO dependent (notice that both top decals say HO). HO=ProBoss :)
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 6:04pm
They are designed to spin. Sounds like some have been over tightening the bolt to try and stop it.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 6:30pm
Come on Timmy and Learn me sumpin

What were the motor offerings in 93' and of those which had the Protech

Standard 351 - 240hp - ign?
ProBoss 351 - 285hp - Protech Ign
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 6:57pm
So my engine says 5.8 HO on the shroud. Does that mean it's a Pro Boss? and is it then 285hp??

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 7:02pm
Both the base 351w (240/255hp) and the ProBoss (i.e. 351w HO) were offered (no HO before '92). You most commonly see them both in lefty rotation with Protec ignition 91-94. All carb through '93, TBI offered starting in 94.

Protec was not standard but very widespread. Believe both non-HO and HO versions offered without it. Most of the ones I've seen sans-Protec were RH engines mated to 1:1 transmissions. Most of those being base but some HO's exist (like Randy's). So most permutations of HO/non-Ho, RH/LH and Protec/dist were apparently offered.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

So my engine says 5.8 HO on the shroud. Does that mean it's a Pro Boss? and is it then 285hp??

Carb' ProBoss was rated 285hp... But the shroud is not strong evidence. Take a picture of the end of a head, GT40 heads have 2 bars.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 7:40pm

and the teak wood deck needs to be sanded a bit and oiled/sealed.

looks like with all the engine chatter you guys missed something. don't seal the teak.

sanded? good
oiled? good
sealed? bad

there are several great threads about care/maintenance/cleaning/oiling teak on here, do a Google search for something like "site:correctcraftfan.com teak" or check the FAQ thread that Dreaming put up, I think a few of them are linked in there.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

They are designed to spin. Sounds like some have been over tightening the bolt to try and stop it.

If it was designed to spin why did they not use a shouldered bolt so it could not be over tightened ? If it were left loose would that not create a pressure point and damage the gel ?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 8:13pm
Next time I take my boat out I will have to look at it closer. Mine has always spun and has not become any looser than it was when I got it in '93. From memory I think my gel is slightly discolored under the spool but I would think cranking it down would damage the gel more than allowing it to spin. And of course I don't know if it was designed that way or not I was just starting a controversy.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 8:30pm
Mine spun too,so I tightened it I do know it has a nylon lock nut on it,so once it's loose it won't get any looser
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 8:49pm
Sounds like you altered it's originality. They probably used a feeler gauge to set it to the correct spin height rather than a shoulder bolt since the gel thickness probably varies a little bit between boats. Pretty sure mine had never been used when I bought it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 9:06pm
Can you measure yours so I can get mine back to OE specs before someone finds out   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 9:57pm
Just keep using the split PVC pipe and it will work fine. Almost as well as it did from the factory.
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 10:21pm
IAughtNaught......Sorry, I didn't mean "seal" it....I have had teak wood on boats in the past, and am familiar with the sanding and oiling process. I won't seal the wood. :)

Thanks for all of your guys help on my new boat. I am sure I'll have more questions before I even get it in the water.

Oh...I know one of my questions.....how to you start this boat OUT of the water? I am use to putting "muffs" on my outdrive for my outboards and I/O's....how do you do it with a Nautique??

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 11:36pm

how to you start this boat OUT of the water? I am use to putting "muffs" on my outdrive for my outboards and I/O's....how do you do it with a Nautique??

Dan,
Have you run across the FAQ thread in the forums maintenance section yet? It has links to threads on almost anything. If you can't find something, we are always around. In that tread, look for "Timmy T" . It's simply a tee on the suction side of the RWP (raw water pump) where you hook up the garden hose.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 7:07pm
Yep, been reading up all the FAQ's I can take in, until my brain starts to hurt! :)

I'll keep reading. I just want to be well prepared for ownership of this boat, especially with fall/winter in the not so distant future. I want to know how to change the fluids, filters, belts, plugs, winterize it properly, etc etc.

Thanks again for all the advice.

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2016 at 7:35pm
Would you guys say my SN color combo is the: Charcoal, Silver Cloud, Cranberry?

I am going to be removing the old faded side lettering, and then wetsand, and buff the entire thing, and then put on new lettering on the sides and the back as well, since the back is missing ALL lettering.

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 7:45pm
Hey guys, well finally took possession of my new to me 1993 NWZ nautique. Had my local shop do a thorough inspection and she passed no problem. Compression on all 8 cyl were perfect. I took a bunch of pics to post up here. They are in my files here, just not sure how to get them into this post. Anyway they hull needs a definite wet sand, buff, polish and new decals. Plus a couple areas need some crocket repair. As you'll see in one of the pics where they ran the boat onto the trailer fender and took a gouge out of the gel coat. Also gotta figure out horn, as it doesn't work, otherwise all else does.

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 9:17pm
Oh also, they took the radio and speakers out of the boat, so I just have the factory speaker holes on either side wall of the boat. What size speakers fit the holes??

Thanks
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 11:34am
So, is my engine a GT-40? I am just trying to find out as much info as I can, before I have to winterize it this fall. as I want to do it correctly. Get the "Timmy T" added, etc etc.

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 12:07pm
And here she is..in all her glory. Like I said. I picked it up for $3900, the hull needs some serious wet sanding, buffing and polishing, new decals, etc...but I am going to do that this fall, before I winterize. Otherwise she's in great mechanical condition. Here's some photos:

flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 12:39pm
more photos:   As you can see I need to do some wet sanding, buffing, polishing, and one spot that needs some gel coat repair where the hull MET the wheel well of the trailer.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 3:10pm
Not a GT40. Those came out in 1995 and had multiport EFI.

Yours is a carbureted ProBoss, it appears. ProBoss = HO 351w. Not a particularly common sight to see a RH one mated up to a 1:1 but that appears to be what you've got.
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 3:16pm
Thanks...dumb question but how do you know it's a right hand and mates to a 1:1? I assume that's direct drive?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 3:19pm
PRP and the firing order.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 11:19am
Wow, great deal for a solid '93, very nice find.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2016 at 4:34pm
Joel,

Noticed a sweet white red white for sale! Slimming the fleet?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic