Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Model 2001 Ride Quality

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by audiodude audiodude wrote:

the 2001 is a good wakeboard boat or so I have been told, I'm not a wakeboarder. If you want a boat that will do everything you will have to make some compromises.   The 2001 will pull a tube(I know, I know), ski, wakeboard, trick ski, but if you have a bunch of people for a sunset cruise and cocktails not so great.   For our party needs we will be buying a Pontoon or deck boat and use the 2001 for what it is meant to do.    

This was the original intent as we also have a decent Pontoon boat. But bc we live in the no wake zone and you have to go a distance thru it to get out, the back and forth of two boats is a PIA so it has sat unused for three years. This is another big factor in getting a larger more multi purpose boat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Another option for your boat that needs repairs, would be to sell it and buy another that is solid and does not need any repair or at least nearly no repairs.
From 1993 and newer all Nautiques have fiberglass stringers and these can never rot out.
A very nice upgrade from the old wood stringers. If Wakeboarding is your choice then you might look at the open bow boats.   I will remind you that once you drive a Ski Nautique all other boats don't measure up. A Nautique will turn and drive perfectly while other boats never seem to have the formula correct. Drive a few and you will see this is a fact. I had a Malibu Skier, looked great, actually had a slightly better ski wake than my Nautique but it turned terrible.   Turned pretty well with 1-3 people on board but if you had 5 people it was almost scarry to turn.   In the Nautiques you cant feel the difference 1 person or 6.   They are just better built boats.
BTW:   I am in to old cars also,

I wouldn't bother with someone else's crap. I would keep the one I have and repair it. It is an amazing boat and has NEVER let me down. Runs great, starts every time on frist crank and drives like a Porsche as you mention. New concept! Get rid of the pontoon boat, keep the 2001 for personal fun and get a newer something for family. I do have two slips ๐Ÿ˜‰
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 3:03pm
well if you are interested in selling the pontoon I might be interested.
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by audiodude audiodude wrote:

well if you are interested in selling the pontoon I might be interested.

Our pontoon is the Beverly Hillbillies of pontoon boats. I doubt you would be interested.
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 3:35pm
You're probably right although my wife thinks I'm a beverly hillbillies kind of guy
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 9:31pm
We have had a 2001 since 1984, and in 1988 Dad got his second one and still has it. Wife complains about the ride being rough at times. Guys don't have that problem. We picked up a 2002 Ski Nautique last summer and the wife likes the ride a lot better, It does not bounce as hard going over the wakes. The 2001's are cool boats like them a lot, but I like my 2002.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by fgroce fgroce wrote:

We have had a 2001 since 1984, and in 1988 Dad got his second one and still has it. Wife complains about the ride being rough at times. Guys don't have that problem. We picked up a 2002 Ski Nautique last summer and the wife likes the ride a lot better, It does not bounce as hard going over the wakes. The 2001's are cool boats like them a lot, but I like my 2002.

Is that because wives have these body parts that like to bounce a lot over waves that we don't have?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 11:43pm
My wife hates our boat. Let her pick out the new boat? Yea right. You sound like a marriage counselor or something. Letting her pick out another boat would be a very smart thing to do, get some "buy in". You must be happily married with that sort of thinking. Smart man.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2017 at 4:34am
I find the boat I want then tell the wife we are going to look at a boat and maybe upgrade from our current boat. I already know I want it. Then I play cool and examine everything while she warms up to it.   So far each time she comes up and tells me we need to buy this boat but does it sly so she does not give up our negotiating position.   At this point she has bought in so there is never that discussion that I got the boat I wanted because I can always point out she told me to buy it.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2017 at 10:36am
Then there is always the 'get something of equal value' situation . . .

Then the boat costs 2X!
โ€œBeer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.โ€

Ben Franklin
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2017 at 12:34pm
My 2002 Sport Nautique can take big, sometimes ruff, water a lot better than my 80 Ski Nautique did. It is wider, longer and heavier. I live at a lake with big water and it is a better fit for a busy weekend on the lake than my second generation was. However, my Sport is not a competition three event boat.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2017 at 5:19pm
I've thought long and hard about becoming a 2 boat owner. I'm thinking about buying a 10-12 year old I/O Crownline or similar boat for open water stuff. At Lake Powell, my little SNOB stays tied to the houseboat and only goes out in very flat water. I've had to make an open water "channel run" on occasion and it's no fun. I run between 12 and 15 mph. Sometimes slow enough just to maintain steerage.

IMO, the concept of "cross-over" is great, but no boat manufacturer (yet) has made a 3-event type towboat that can handle the bigger water. Compromise or go with 2 boats.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
cadunkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2017 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by merbesfield merbesfield wrote:

We just got back from the lake we were beat to sh*%#t today. Busy day on lake. I know next to nothing about these boats, just found good deal on my lake and bought it. I see all these fancy bigger newer and of course more expensive MC and SN hauling butt and slicing thru the wakes. We are getting killed. So why would someone own one of these? Seriously, not trying to sound like a jerk, I'm asking. My boat is very nice, but needs some love. Interior and likely stringers etc. When I see the amount of work that is required to rebuild the stringers coupled with the terrible ride, I just have to wonder, what am I missing.

I don't have a SN2001, but I almost bought one years ago. I do have another brand 80s inboard though. Why would someone own one? Firstly, it's a beautiful classic vehicle... Just like a 390 4 speed Ranchero, a 427 Galaxie, a CB750, or a Norton. Not everyone likes cookie cutter new boats that look, sound, and drive like every other brand new boat. Not everyone wants fancy electronic gizmos and the obligatory lack of gauges. Give me a big block, straight piped, square windshield inboard any day of the week.

Beyond that, there's no way I could justify spending $100k+ on a new inboard. I don't borrow money for toys (assuming I wanted one), and I can think of many better uses for that money than a brand new boat. $10k or a bit more and you can have a restored 80s inboard with that classic style, a great wake for your preferred sport, and the modern amenities that actually have value like a tower, perfect pass, heater, and seat furnaces.

I put 75-100 hours a year on my inboard in the northeast, and 95% of that is at 22 MPH pulling a rider... Usually dawn patrol and off the water by noon. If you don't primarily use your boat for watersports then an inboard ski boat is probably not the best choice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic