Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

high oil pressure. Please HELP :(

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rbjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: high oil pressure. Please HELP :(
    Posted: June-23-2006 at 4:55am
I have a 80'nautique. Engine was rebuilt about a year and a half ago. Engine is a Ford 351 Windsor Reverse Rotation(Right Rotation). I have had a leak in the rear main seal since the rebuild, but can't take it back cause I now live in a different state. I've replaced the seal twice since the rebuild trying to eliminate the problem. Both times with a reverse rotation seal. Still leaks. Just noticed on some of the other forums that oil pressure is supposed to be about 10 pounds for every 1000 Rpm's. My oil gauge pegs at 80+ at idle and while driving. I think this may be why my seal is leaking. Too much pressure. Can anyone give me some input on what to check, or why my pressure might be so high? Right know I'm running HD40 oil. I know it raises oil pressure to run that thick but that high? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, RB
RBJr
80' Nautiques Rock!!
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 7:33am
I've heard of that numerous times, you'll see those kind of pressures with an automotive oil pressure sending unit installed. Although it looks exactly the same as the marine and costs less it operates on a different voltage and gives a much higher pressure reading.

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 8:46am
There is no oil pressure at the rear seal, just oil in the pan sitting against the rear seal. Does your engine have a 1 piece or 2 piece rear seal? If it is a 2 piece the crank probably has wick lines in the wrong direction. If it is a 1 piece you need a marine seal with the lines for RH rotation.
Tim D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 9:15am
Did you have a marine shop or a automotive machine shop do the motor. Odds are they used the wrong crank with wick lines in the opposite direction so you'll never be able to keep it from leaking.
TerraNovaSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerraNovaSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2006 at 5:31pm
rbjr,

I have a '91 Nautique and the pressure gauge is reading 80 kp as well. Motor was just overhauled and I wonder why the pressure is so high. New oil is 10W30.

I'm curious if my latest problem, that is, the engine running for a few minutes and then completely cutting out is related. It runs very smoothly when it is actually running. I could be at full throttle or idle and it just cuts out as if I turned the key off. Temp is stable at 140.

Any ideas?
1991 Nautique owner
rebenj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 1:37pm
rbjr:

I have a 1978 Tique with a Commander, Ford reverse rotation 302 ci in it with the same problems. My 80 pound oil pressure gage pegs out when engine is cold started and also stays very high when driving. I installed a 100lb mechanical gage and my cold start oil pressure is 100lbs. The motor was recently overhauled also and a Melling high volume pump was installed. I discussed this issue via "E" Mail with Melling and there response back to me was this was normal for there pump in a 302???
I am also told the spring in the oil pump can be changed to lower the pressure but I have not verified this as fact.

My rear main seal like yours also leaks and has been changed twice. The wicks on the crank are right (crank original one) and also are all tolerences and no seal grove on it.The seal used both times is two piece Felpro P/N 17746 which is correct for the 302.
After the fact I found out that Felpro recommends offsetting the the seal 3/8" in the bearing cap which I think may be my next step??

I offer this to you and I would appreciate any comments from anyone that would also help me/you with our issues.   Regards, Dick
ri78tique
rbjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by TerraNovaSkier TerraNovaSkier wrote:

rbjr,

I have a '91 Nautique and the pressure gauge is reading 80 kp as well. Motor was just overhauled and I wonder why the pressure is so high. New oil is 10W30.

I'm curious if my latest problem, that is, the engine running for a few minutes and then completely cutting out is related. It runs very smoothly when it is actually running. I could be at full throttle or idle and it just cuts out as if I turned the key off. Temp is stable at 140.

Any ideas?

Hi Terra Nova Skier, I would check to see if the oil pressure sensor used was an automotive or marine. I've been told now on numerous occassions that the automotive sensors are of a different impedence or voltage and that's why they read so high. As to your problem with engine shutting off, I would say to check the ignition switch. Has it been replaced recently? This is were you put your key in to start it. How long will it run before shutting off? Is it running rich?
RBJr
80' Nautiques Rock!!
rbjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 3:28pm
rebenj,
Do you mean off setting the seal to were 3/8" of the seal are in the block and the other 3/8" protrude into the bearing cap? If so that is what I did. But still leaking. My understanding is that my crank is original but I need to open her up and check again.
RBJr
80' Nautiques Rock!!
rebenj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2006 at 7:23am
RBjr,

What you did as stated in your reply is what Felpro recommends doing. WOW still leaking?? If you get the oil leak corrected I would appreciate it if you let me know how. Going to pull my engine late September.

rebenj
ri78tique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic