Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Won't Plane? .. Starts fine..

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
doc995 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Won't Plane? .. Starts fine..
    Posted: July-30-2016 at 6:52pm
Hi All;

New Member. Owner of 1995 Ski Nautique with GT40 with vertually no problems until just recently. Starts and revs quickly (normally) and fine at slow speeds but once I 'hit it' it will only get up to about 25-28 MPH .. acts like its starved for fuel. Looked thru fuel pump issues on here but didn't see anyone with this problem.

Tried injector cleaner and gas treatment .. no change. Been going on for about a month now with no improvement, always the same.

Have noticed a high pitched whine that I'd not noticed before around the left (port) back corner of the engine .. suspect this is my fuel pump going bad. Can anyone here confirm that for me before I go the 500-1,000 to find a replacement/retro-fit and replace?

Matt
DMC '95 Nautique [D8]
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 2:19am
You might want to measure fuel pressure at the rail before buying a pump.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 4:53am
When I first bought mine it did similar acts. I installed a new Water Temp sender and a new Oil Pressure sender. The ones that send an OK to the engine computer. These boats have sensors that send info to your gauges and separate sensors that send info to your engine. Mine has run good since. The bad sensor was triggering the limp home mode in the computer.
As mentioned already the high pitch whine could certainly be a failing fuel pump.
A 95 has a low pressure and high pressure pump.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 2:01pm
I agree to try the sensors first. Inexpensive and easy, and will rule that out if not the problem. Did 95 still have the Pro-Tec ignition? I think that was a symptom I had when my Pro-Tec finally died a few years ago.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 2:18pm
You can just disconnect the oil pressure and water temp sensors/switches. They are electrically open (similar to being disconnected) until a fault is detected and then short to ground. If that fixes your problem then just connect one at a time until the problem returns.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 10:06pm
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
doc995 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 10:10pm
Thank you to all for the quick responses!! Will go to work on unplugging the oil and water temp switches at the engine - then go for a spin. if that doesn't change things will figure out how to measure fuel pressure off the pump.

Really appreciate all the help! You guys are great!
DMC '95 Nautique [D8]
doc995 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 10:24pm
Don't know if its a ProTec .. .will look around on here and find out how to tell. Thanks!
DMC '95 Nautique [D8]
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2016 at 7:02pm
Did you figure out the problem???
doc995 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2016 at 5:52pm
Hi ..
Still (slowly) working on it. Work and summer activities/travel getting in the way.

Wondering if its in the 'limp mode' as the problem seems to happen most around 2200-2500 RPM when in gear .. then just seems to choke out, pop, occ. backfire. When you go full throttle .. there's just no power (drops off markedly). Revs above 2500 no problem in neutral. (Don't know if that tells me it's not the water or oil pressure unit failure causing the issue?) (not stuck in limp mode).

I did disconnect both water and oil monitoring and sending units (I think - Oil unit and water each with two different wires - monitoring and sending units?) .. anyway disconnected all 4 at the motor with no change in function. Also Oil and Temp lights stayed off.

Can anyone tell me does the High Pressure pump fuel pump make a high pitched whine noise all the time? Seems like I heard it before but more in the background and never really 'noticed' it until I started having this problem.

Also - how can I tell if mine is a 'ProTec' .. I don't see anything on or around the engine that says Pro-Tec..

Currently leaving town for a couple weeks for work and then vacation .. but when I get back I'll have a fuel pressure measuring kit waiting for me here from Amazon and figure out how to use it and see if my fuel pressure is a constant 39#.

I friend went to work trying to find a replacement high pressure pump for my 95 Ski Nautique (closed bow) since manufacturer quit making them. He was told that someone is manufacturing a replacement for it presently and should be ready in a couple more weeks .. I'll post who, where and how much if that turns out to be true.

Again .. thanks to all for the thoughts, insight. I did read through the process for replacing high speed pump with alternative pump .. man, that seems like a lot of work and $ .. so hope 're-manufactured' pump becomes available soon.

Matt
DMC '95 Nautique [D8]
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2016 at 6:41pm
You have a gt40 so no pro-tec
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
doc995 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 2:14am
Update - I got a fuel pressure gauge (Amazon - $17.95 - works like a charm and easy to hook up) and connected to Schrader Valve with numbers as follows:

(1995 Ski Nautique - GT40 (No FCC, No Pro-Tec)

Turn Key -> fuel pump primes right up to --> 34 # .. then falls off to about 30
Idle -> 28#'s pressure - pretty constant (Starts right up)
Rev engine in neural to 2800-3000+ RPM -- drops down to 24#

I've read on here that my fuel pressure should be constant at 39 +/- 3#
Is that correct? (Some places say 29#)

Is there a good resource to know exactly what my fuel pressure should be?
Also - my high pressure fuel pump is pretty noisy .. is that normal? (high pitched whine)
Sounds like my problem is the high pressure fuel pump?

Appreciate any thoughts, recommendations. Still trying to locate fuel pump...
Thanks ..
Matt
DMC '95 Nautique [D8]
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 9:31am
The GT 40 Service Manual in the reference section has all the information you require.

There has been a real run on the HP pump on the pre FCC GT40's of late. Gundriver has been working on a solution.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 11:24am
Seems like the pump is working but weak possibly starving for fuel. Before I sh;t canned it I would change the inline filter and check the screen in the bottom of the HPP and check that the low pressure pump is feeding it enough fuel.
If all is good then I would have to say it's time for a new pump.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic