Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

94 vs 97 closed bow

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skier83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 94 vs 97 closed bow
    Posted: June-23-2006 at 10:52am
I am looking at purchasing a 94 with 300HP Fuel injected vs 97 260HP carb both excellant ahspe about same price. Any thoughts on which would be the better choice
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 10:53am
What do yo do behind the boat primarily?

barefoot,wakeboard=94
slalom=97
skier83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 10:58am
Thanks. mostly ski but wakeboarding is coming on fast
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 11:03am
depending on your level the 94 will ski well too, the 97 much better.

It is only minor but have you considered the Injected vs. Carb in your decision?
skier83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 11:10am
I have thought about the FI vs carb. Everything else being equal it is what has me leaning towards the '94
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 11:16am
everything else is not equal, the 97 is a better (some say best) ski hull, TSC.

I am also not a fan of the sloped transom
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 11:52am
Does the '94 have the goofy looking "Ski Nautique" font or the regular?

I'd probably take the '94 even if I did primarily slalom. FI and 40hp are a lot to give up for a better slalom wake if you're not into heavy course skiing.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 1:21pm
I've heard the 94 TBI FI system can be a real problem if it goes bad. Also, if the ignition pack goes (ProTec ignition) you have to convert the whole system to a distributor based setup since you can't buy the coil packs anymore. I'd lean towards the 97 because of the reliablity of the engine and the looks. The wake is a bit softer but to be completely honest I can hardly tell the difference from my 90 to my 2000 wake at 15 off.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2006 at 6:41pm
The ski wakes are going to be very close, will take a very shortline skier to be able to tell the difference. The wakeboarding wake on the 94 will be much better shaped than a tsc hull, even if sacked. 94 is the 1st year of throttle body inj. some ran great many were just a source of frustration.
Have you driven both so you can feel the difference in HP and handling? If your starting to wakeboard/skate more, the boats are in simaler condition and hours...i would lean towards the 94. Just a better crossover boat, will do more things better. I love the sloped transoms..90-93 the best, sorry in advance to Powers Lake Yacht Club.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2006 at 9:19am
I agree with most of what was said above. The '97 will have a better slalom wake, but the '94 is still pretty good. I prefer the barefoot wake on the '97 hull- the 90-96 has a nasty rutt in the center of the wakes that can be tough to get out of. The '94 has a faster hull, 40 hp more would make the difference even bigger. The TBI injection and Protec ignition can be troublesome, but can also run very strong when tuned right.

If youre gonna wakeboard much at all, the '94 is the way to go. The '97 wont produce much wake even when weighted.
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Darrel Darrel wrote:

The ski wakes are going to be very close, will take a very shortline skier to be able to tell the difference. The wakeboarding wake on the 94 will be much better shaped than a tsc hull, even if sacked. 94 is the 1st year of throttle body inj. some ran great many were just a source of frustration.
Have you driven both so you can feel the difference in HP and handling? If your starting to wakeboard/skate more, the boats are in simaler condition and hours...i would lean towards the 94. Just a better crossover boat, will do more things better. I love the sloped transoms..90-93 the best, sorry in advance to Powers Lake Yacht Club.

Powers Lake Boat Club

the yacht club is our worse half, they don't like us, you can apologize to them if you want. personally doesn't matter to me, they aren't bad boats I just wouldn't opt for the slope if i had a choice and they were close.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2006 at 2:48pm
PLBC, no worries, just trying to have a little personality. I had read about your group on PN, OnTheWater gave a nice little background so i had heard about the Yacht club. As far as Yacht clubs....last month i was on a sailing vacation down in the BVI with 2 other couples. We moored for the night and dinghyed in for some food and drink, there we met a large group from a Yacht club also on a sailing vacation down there. Sitting in the bar talk is cheap...they were telling us of all there sailing experiences and how the could handle wind, weather, tough sailing waters blah blah blah. Next morning we watched as their group motored out in 5 monohulls, 4 of the 5 had hired local captains to sail for them. The BVI is a very easy sail, these guys were a joke. Anyway i think we have simaler opinions on Yacht clubs. Where is my PLBC t-shirt?
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2006 at 2:49pm
Sorry for the thread-jack skier83

PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2006 at 3:30pm
I got ya darrel, I sort of figured that is what you meant but the whole internet thing confuses me sometimes.

FYI, this is onthewater from PN.

As for your shirt, you can pick it up at Green Lake.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I've heard the 94 TBI FI system can be a real problem if it goes bad. Also, if the ignition pack goes (ProTec ignition) you have to convert the whole system to a distributor based setup since you can't buy the coil packs anymore. I'd lean towards the 97 because of the reliablity of the engine and the looks. The wake is a bit softer but to be completely honest I can hardly tell the difference from my 90 to my 2000 wake at 15 off.

Not really true. When I was having trouble with my TBI system (due to a bad ground), I called PCM and inquired about a new ECM. I also asked about the availability of the ProTec parts. The PCM guy said all TBI and ProTec parts are available, but reserved for owners with TBI engines. If ProTec only, then PCM requires the conversion to conventional ignition systems. I believe the rational behind this policy is to keep the TBI engines running as both systems rely heavily on one another.

Darrel: I also have done the bareboat sailing in the BVI. The best vacation and sailing experience I have every done. The toughest part was finding water to fill the fresh water tanks on the boat. Paid more for the water than for gasoline/diesel and had to carry 5-gallons at a time. We quickly learned to conserve our fresh water supply, but the women just HAD to take fresh water showers each day...oh well. And you are right, the easy sailing ever...all the islands are basically in sight of one another. I remember the only problem being the shallow spots to watch out for. I think we almost grounded out boat once or twice. Need to get there again on day.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 2:05pm
Exactly David, The guys in our group cleaned up in the ocean and got a quick fresh rinse. The girls needed showers everyday (girls must be dirty). Done the sail in BVI 5 times so we have those islands dialed. For some better sailing, better scuba/snorkling and more remote, St Vincent and the Grenadine Islands are Great.
OntheWater, Plane ticket to Green Lake, $500.
Car rental, $150.
PLBC T-shirt?, PRICELESS.
David, if I ever need the Pro-tec replacement parts for my boat I plan on lying outright and telling PCM that your engine is still in my boat. J/K.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2006 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Not really true. When I was having trouble with my TBI system (due to a bad ground), I called PCM and inquired about a new ECM. I also asked about the availability of the ProTec parts. The PCM guy said all TBI and ProTec parts are available, but reserved for owners with TBI engines. If ProTec only, then PCM requires the conversion to conventional ignition systems. I believe the rational behind this policy is to keep the TBI engines running as both systems rely heavily on one another.

Darrel: I also have done the bareboat sailing in the BVI. The best vacation and sailing experience I have every done. The toughest part was finding water to fill the fresh water tanks on the boat. Paid more for the water than for gasoline/diesel and had to carry 5-gallons at a time. We quickly learned to conserve our fresh water supply, but the women just HAD to take fresh water showers each day...oh well. And you are right, the easy sailing ever...all the islands are basically in sight of one another. I remember the only problem being the shallow spots to watch out for. I think we almost grounded out boat once or twice. Need to get there again on day.

Interesting- learn something new every day!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic