NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

advice on 1986 nautique 2001

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
prski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: advice on 1986 nautique 2001
    Posted: August-02-2016 at 2:46pm
I could use some expert advice. I currently have a '07 MB Sport to ski, wakeboard and surf but the wake is seriously big even for a decent skier. I'm 58 and have had 5 knee surgeries so I want a smaller wake. I have the opportunity to buy a 1986 nautique 2001. One owner, 684 hours, all original everything. stored out of the water.

Question 1 - is the wake behind the old 2001 boats the smallest and best or are their other years with better wakes?
Question 2 - I'm not mechanical, just like to ski. What should I expect in terms of repairs or maintenance on a 30 year old nautique?
Question 3 - any idea what it would cost to fully restore it to "perfect" condition if you have it done by a good restoration place?
Question 4 - any recommendations on where to have an old nautique restored?

I'd appreciate any advice to any of my questions - many thanks
paul
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 2:48pm
From what I have heard the 2001 hulls are not very good for skiing. Probably better than you have but there are better wakes out there.
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 2:57pm
Welcome to Correctcraftfan Paul!

I'll answer your questions the best I can. The smarter ones will chime in later.

#1- no its not the smallest or best, but for its time it was. The 90's ski nautiques seem to be a very good wake.
#2- if it's been taken care of good by the owner, then it should just need a tank of gas. If not done recently, you'll probably need to change fuel filter and oil.
#3- depends on what needs to be done. It'd be cheaper to do anything yourself, just need to take the time. You'll be proud of yourself, and you learn a lot.
#4- I personally don't know ny places, but others here will know.

Let's see some pics of that boat.
1972 Mustang
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 3:14pm
Have you been in a coma for the last 30 years? By today's standards the 2001 ski wake is no longer even on the good end of the scale.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 3:43pm
It will be better than your MB. If it's cheap just buy it, use it for awhile and dump it if you don't like it. Cheap would be in the $3K - $4k range. If you want a better wake and no wood stringers then look for a '93 or newer SN. Can be found starting at about $6k.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 3:47pm
If he's considering a 2001 I'm guessing wood stringers aren't a deal breaker. 90-92 skis will be cheaper.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 3:51pm
I concur,

What speed do you ski? That info is important to the question.

Below 34mph, the 2001 was never a good slalom boat even when new, it was already outclassed
It was a really solid 3-event boat, and that is what it was sold as.

It always perplexed me why the novice tournaments used 2001 for the Jr divisions, wake up to their shoulders at 22-26 mph, then use the MC's for the adults.

Slalom wise, given your criteria, Consider the 93+ nautique, a Malibu response is great also.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 3:56pm
I wonder how many have had stringer problems with '90 -'92 boats. I think I have only seen one member mention he put stringers in a '92.
prski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 4:13pm
Wow, this is an active and awesome forum and hopefully one day I can contribute to it. I ski about 30 mph as a recreational skier. I'd like to get better and think a softer wake will help me and extend my years of skiing enjoyment. Sounds like most or all of you believe the 86 is not a good ski wake so thanks for the feedback!

You all have been great!
paul
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 4:19pm
There are better 30 mph wakes no doubt
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 4:36pm
Yeah you just dodged a bullet. Stick around and good luck with your search.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 4:13pm
Having owned an '85 2001 14 yrs ago and skied it for 5 yrs it's not the boat you want I skied in the 28-32 mph range and the wake was a beast-the wake is great for today's wake boarders !
Ski behind an early 80's Ski Supreme - you'll buy one in a heartbeat
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
prski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2016 at 2:41pm
Thanks for the advice, just to be clear I ski pretty well today behind an MB B52 wakeboard boat with a wide and rough wake, would you consider the 85 nautique that bad? I'm getting the sense that most of the advice may be relative to something much better than my current boat. The boat I'm considering is in amazing original shape and a very fair price, one owner no mods to it. I love the look and as long as the wake is better than my current boat it may be okay even if better wakes are out there. Thank you!
paul
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2016 at 3:04pm
It will be much better than the MB. Go buy it!
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2016 at 4:46pm
Tell them you need to test ski it first
This is the life
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2016 at 6:56pm
I would keep looking for the next hull model known as the NWZ. The 1993 and up boats are wood-free and the wakes are fairly good. No, not as good as the latest SN, but much better than the 2001 hull. A 1993 to 1995 can be had for well under $15,000.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2016 at 1:13am
Had a 1979 Ski Supreme - excellent wake for slalom . Now own a 1988 - 2001 model . Excellent wake board wake , Slalom wake - not so much .
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 9:35pm
We own a 88 2001 and first skied behind a 84 2001.   It may not be as good as the new boats, but is smooth as glass compared to a Moomba Mobius. Plus the look and sound of those boats with duals is awesome. I agree go ski behind it and see how you like it, If you like it buy one. If not look for a later model.

Frank
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
prski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 11:55pm
Thanks for the reply and advice.
paul
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 11:55am
For a visual, here is the wake of an 82 Supreme at 26 mph. Gets even better with speed, like most boats. Not bad for 34 years old.

River Rat to Mole
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2016 at 12:45am
I have an 89 2001, the wake is not flat but way better than the outboard I skied before buying this boat. When I bought the 89 I was concerned that the wake would be to flat. I like the wake, it has a bump that can be alot of fun. I am a good recreational skiier, I don't ski courses but if I did I would want something flatter. I like the little bit of air you can get off this wake when skiing. I agree with others if you can get a pull behind the boat give it a try. I ski behind a ski supreme often and only find that wake a little better than my 89.
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic