Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

oil light at idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tjlake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjlake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil light at idle
    Posted: June-23-2006 at 10:50pm
I have a 1986 Ski Nautique with a 351 PCM. Very low hours on this boat and the engine runs like a top. It has gauges as well as "idiot lights" on the dash. Problem: After warming up, when the engine is at idle, the oil gauge reads 10 psi @ 600rpms, but the idiot light for oil comes on. Under load and as rpm's increase the gauge reflects the correct psi and the light goes off. Have changed the sending unit with marine grade replacement and I have no leaks. The engine does not use oil. Am using 10w30. Have been told there is no problem, but it is driving me crazy. Anybody ever seen this or have a solution?
Bradley950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2006 at 9:41am
If I put 10w-30in my boat this would happen to me. I don't use variable viscosity oil in my boat. I use a straight 40w. If you like the 30w just try a straight 30w. 10psi @ idol seems kinda low.
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
rmcdonald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2006 at 10:52am
Hi Tlake

10 psi seems very low at idle.

I just rebuild my motor and I get between about 40 to 60 psi at idle

I will check tommorrow, I am taking the boat out.

Regards.
Rob McDonald
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2006 at 2:33pm
My '84 doesn't have a light, just a guage. Mine runs around 10 psi at idle. While cruising, I'm around 40-50 psi. The only way I get 60 psi is close to full throttle. I used to be concerned but I read in a Ford rebuild manual that 10 psi increase for every 1000 rpm is to be expected.
My friend's father was an automobile mechanic in the 70s and early 80s. He said Fords don't have good oil pressure. I'm not sure if it's because of the oil pump or if the holes the oil flows through are bigger than most so the pressure isn't as high (volume vs pressure). I'll ask him next time I see him.
Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity on the light? Try using 20w50 oil.
tjlake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjlake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 10:27am
Jimbo, Thanks, My psi at idle is actually at 20. I also get about 40 - 50 psi at about 30 mph, so your ratio seems correct. I'm actually running 30 weight, not 10w30. Am thinking about changing to 40w because before the engine gets warm, and the vicosity increases, the pressure is higher (which makes since). Have you ever run 40w? I am also in Alabama, where the air temp. has been in the 95 - 100 ranges for it seems like the last month..
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2006 at 2:14pm
I live in Central Texas and use the boat year-round. I've never used a straight 30 or 40 weight; I've always used blended oil. I've started using Rotella 15w40 Diesel Engine oil. Before that, I used Castrol 20w50. I think the sticker on my valve cover recommends 20w50. I think straight 30 is too light. I'd go with 20w50.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2006 at 12:31am
I run 20w50 in my big block truck with lots of miles(250,000 plus) It did help idle pressure..

Also on my old 64 CC american Skier.. It has an electric O.P. gauge.. I installed a mechancical one in a "T" fitting right on the block,with the sending unit. That way, if needed I can just open the cover and double check it..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
tjlake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjlake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2006 at 11:27am
Thanks guys. Think I've got the problem solved. Went to 10w40 and also replaced the teflon thread seal on the sending unit with a conductive, anti-sieze. I believe the teflon was effecting the ground, thus giving false readings. been out 2x's now and the idle psi remains above 20 and the loaded pressure remains steady above 50. One of the two seems to have corrected this issue. Have fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic