NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sn2001 gremlins

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 6:31pm
Nautiqueparts still lists those replacement springs.

It actually is normal for them to be two different sizes. Someone else may know the reasoning on that.

http://www.nautiqueparts.com/distributorsprings.aspx
hal2814 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hal2814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Nautiqueparts still lists those replacement springs.

It actually is normal for them to be two different sizes. Someone else may know the reasoning on that.

http://www.nautiqueparts.com/distributorsprings.aspx

Those springs say 1987 or newer. The distributor pictured looks to be a clip-on Prestolite which is 86 or older. I don't know if they'll work but they're not the springs made for that distributor. I don't know where you get the springs for a clip on but when I was looking I couldn't find them. I ended up just getting a new distributor. Springs weren't my only issue though.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 7:00pm
You mention adding a new fuel filter. Is this just before or after this problem started?
By mistake I installed a fuel injection filter in my carbureted 350 GM powered Malibu Skier a few years back. It choked the fuel supply because it was a 10 micron filter and the mechanical fuel pump could not pull the fuel past it fast enough. The carbureted filters are 20-30 micron and flow better for a mechanical fuel pump. Fuel Injectors need a fine filter but carburetors need more flow so a larger filter screen is used.
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

You mention adding a new fuel filter. Is this just before or after this problem started?
By mistake I installed a fuel injection filter in my carbureted 350 GM powered Malibu Skier a few years back. It choked the fuel supply because it was a 10 micron filter and the mechanical fuel pump could not pull the fuel past it fast enough. The carbureted filters are 20-30 micron and flow better for a mechanical fuel pump. Fuel Injectors need a fine filter but carburetors need more flow so a larger filter screen is used.

It was after, that sort of possibility actually crossed my mind but the symptom showed up prior to the new filter. Actually it prompted me to change it
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 8:01pm
Maybe you have a worn timing chain. You can test for this by manually turning crank back & forth while watching dizzy rotor. Any lost motion means worn chain.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

The springs control the rate at which the flyweights are flung outward and work against the 2 slots in the cam.

The little one breaks a lot easier since it's thinner and always has some tension on it when the engine is running, the big one is only along for the ride till about 2500 rpm or so then it has tension on it.

Speaking of the 2 slots in the cam, in your picture they look pretty worn at the far end which would lead to erratic movement of the weights and erratic timing but not really at idle.. Maybe it's only the picture.

Your timing changes could be like a case of what came first the chicken or the egg.

If it's idling at 600 one time and then at say 1200 another time the timing will be more advanced at 1200 because of the flyweights. Now did the carburetor cause the idle to hang up, maybe due to a weak return spring or a binding shaft which then makes the timing more advanced due to the speed.

I've seen the slots worn worse than yours and the boat has run decently still

KenO

It's almost odd that you mention the carb bringing it full circle, I rebuilt the carb and struggled for a while with some vacuum leaks due to poorly fitting gaskets. So the very same day that I got the idle squared away, this symptom showed up and burst my bubble.

While it was idling poorly, it would run seemingly fine at higher rpms, now it's reversed.

Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Maybe you have a worn timing chain. You can test for this by manually turning crank back & forth while watching dizzy rotor. Any lost motion means worn chain.

I did this earlier today, do you mean absolutely any lost movement? I ask because I'm fairly certain there was some.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 8:20pm
If there was some, that means worn chain. Can't say that is causing your problem but it might be an upgrade for off-season.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 6:21pm
Anyone have a wiring diagram for what the ignition system SHOULD look like, I'd like to double check the wiring for any shorts or obvious stuff before spending $$$ on something like a distributor.

Also, any part # to take my boat back to points ignition?

My boat is an 83 and I know a lot can change or be messed with over the years, I think it's worth a try. Also I've read on many threads here that the EI conversion kits are junk.

If really like to get this squared away before the end of the season.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 6:49pm
Get the VOM out!
Tim's infamous wiring diagram:

Tim should get a commission for every time it's posted!! He could probably retire.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 8:15pm
When it comes to EI conversion distributor issues I'm not a fan of Tim's diagram...
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

When it comes to EI conversion distributor issues I'm not a fan of Tim's diagram...
any specific reason?

I'll be doing a compression test on it tomorrow also
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

If there was some, that means worn chain. Can't say that is causing your problem but it might be an upgrade for off-season.

There is always going to be a little play in the chain

The link attached here explains things pretty well and since you're checking your compression tomorrow that can tell you something about the chain and gear condition too.

http://www.misterfixit.com/chanslop.htm

If you check by the link, your harmonic balancer is 6.5 inches in diameter when it comes time to do the math
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Tfreeman Tfreeman wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

any specific reason?

I'll be doing a compression test on it tomorrow also

Could be just cuz he's Hollywood or probably because different electronic conversions/distributors hook up in different ways and some retain the ballast resistor and some don't so that part of the diagram might change depending on your setup
KerrLakeFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KerrLakeFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 4:50pm
The Petronix EI Module has failed.

Go to Amazon and order a new one.

Once installed.
Make sure you have the jumper in place as shown in the diagram above to ensure you're getting 12v to the positive side of the coil and test with a meter.. Run a dedicated ground wire from the plate in the distributor to the negative post of your battery or a good ground on the block. (back right side of engine has a grounding point)

Make sure your rotor is seated properly and that the distributor cap is securely fastened down.

Your problem will be solved.
1982 Ski Nautique
1987 Fish Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by KerrLakeFish KerrLakeFish wrote:

The Petronix EI Module has failed..

Kerr Lake Fish

Help me do a little learnin' here

Wondering what you base your statement on since you give no explanation to go with it.

Didn't know if maybe you're a psychic or you're just keeping secrets about why it's failed.

If I was having this problem, I'd be looking for an explanation before just running out and spending some money on a new module.

KenO
KerrLakeFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KerrLakeFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 7:02pm
Lots and lots of experience with my Fish and Ski Nautiques

I've spent several hours speaking with the technicians and two of their recommendations are in my post above; verifying 12vat the coil and ensuring a good ground. A third would be to get a good low resistance coil (0.6 ohms or so, like the Flamethrower)

I've also encountered the exact symptoms with both of my boats, jumped through all the above hoops and it is always the Pertronix. Always.
1982 Ski Nautique
1987 Fish Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 7:59pm
Now if you'd said that in the first place it would have been a much better post

Does TFreeman have an ignitor or an Ignitor 2 ?It doesn't show up in his pictures, just the wires leading to it.

You might find different coil recommendations for each in the instructions like a 0.6 ohm coil for the Ignitor 2 and a 1.5 ohm coil for the original Ignitor.

Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 8:22pm

Now if you'd said that in the first place it would have been a much better post

Does TFreeman have an ignitor or an Ignitor 2 ?It doesn't show up in his pictures, just the wires leading to it.

You might find different coil recommendations for each in the instructions like a 0.6 ohm coil for the Ignitor 2 and a 1.5 ohm coil for the original Ignitor.

It is apparently an ignitor. Since the previous owner installed it, I'm having a bit of a difficult time locating an instruction sheet to double check things. I have noticed that the resistor (?) was not bypassed by the PO, and who knows what else he did.

I'm almost tempted to order the kit from nautique parts that replaces everything. If I new it would solve it, it would probably already be in the mail.

The compression test found nothing significant so I'm at least partially happy today
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 8:28pm
The original ignitor has a BLACK module mounted to the plate

An Ignitor 2 has a RED module
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 8:35pm
Definitely an ignitor it's got the black module and says ignitor on it (hahaha)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2016 at 1:07am
Originally posted by KerrLakeFish KerrLakeFish wrote:

I've spent several hours speaking with the technicians

It wouldn't have taken several hours to watch a youtube video on how to install points and learn how to set dwell!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2016 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Tfreeman Tfreeman wrote:

After today I'm fairly certain it's not the fueling system, unless the float isn't adjusted quite right and if it's even possible, not giving me enough fuel at higher rpm. Otherwise out of the big 3 ingredients needed sparks about all that's left.

Problem solved... Turns out it was the float level actually causing a fuel starvation. A free fix. I feel kind of silly honestly. When I saw that the timing was not staying correct, I had completely ruled out the fuel system. I went ahead and swapped in a new distributor and the rest of the ignition system also before solving it today.

Needless to say i have now been through this boat pretty thoroughly and it has gotten a serious tune up. I've got at least another month of HOT summer weather here (if not more) so I'm thrilled to have it running right.

I appreciate all the help and knowledge shared in this thread.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2016 at 7:58am
Well, good for you

After all that it looks like your Pertronix wasn't the culprit. I just put that here for all those Pertronix haters It ain't always the problem

Your old distributor did appear to have some wear in the advance mechanism, so a new one was a good idea even if it didn't solve the problem

What did you put in for a distributor?

KenO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2016 at 9:02am

Well, good for you

What did you put in for a distributor?

KenO

Probably another Pertronix!
Trevor,
Glad you found the problem. Now it's time to get some time in on the water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2016 at 10:25am
You forget Pete

Pertronix doesn't make a 351W marine unit with the RR gear so I'm thinking he got something else
Tfreeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2016 at 3:37pm
I put in the kit from skidim. I will be keeping all the old stuff as spares just in case.
http://www.skidim.com/PROTEC-RETRO-KIT-DIST-RH/productinfo/RK107026A/

We are about 20-25 minutes from the nearest ramp so it's easy to make a trip after the wife gets off of work during the week, my full time gig gives me plenty of days off and my side business is slow right now so lake time should kill most of that down time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic