Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is this latch (by shifter)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
planejob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planejob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this latch (by shifter)
    Posted: September-18-2016 at 3:10pm
I have a 1999 Sport Nautique. Bought it as a project and it has not let me down...

I've read the owner's manual, and I saw no mention of this latch. What is it? I opened it, and pulled, but nothing moves - it doesn't seem to open anything.

Also, a gratuitous picture of my 'fancy' shift knob.

MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 3:24pm
Ha! You better be careful, somebody's going to come after that ice.
'92 Sport Nautique
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 7:08pm
That latch is for locking the storage trunk.

And if it is closed and your trunk still opens something is not working properly.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by planejob planejob wrote:

I have a 1999 Sport Nautique. I've read the owner's manual, and I saw no mention of this latch.

Page 1.6 in the owners manual explains the latch operation for the ski locker!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
planejob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planejob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I have a 1999 Sport Nautique. I've read the owner's manual, and I saw no mention of this latch.

Ok, you win. I read the manual front to back and then after your post I went to page 1.6, page 1.5, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9 and still don't see where it describes the latch by the shifter. Sure, it tells me about the ski locker, and yeah, it says there is a trunk...   It actually tells me how to operate the various and ski locker(in the floor) latches ("push down on the raised portion") but it sure doesn't say that the trunk lock is located by the shifter, does it? What am I missing?

Big thanks to PLBC for the answer, and yes, my trunk opens regardless of the position of this latch. so... more 'project' for the project boat.

MurphyCO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MurphyCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 11:51pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ok, you win. I read the manual front to back and then after your post I went to page 1.6, page 1.5, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9 and still don't see where it describes the latch by the shifter. Sure, it tells me about the ski locker, and yeah, it says there is a trunk...   It actually tells me how to operate the various and ski locker(in the floor) latches ("push down on the raised portion") but it sure doesn't say that the trunk lock is located by the shifter, does it? What am I missing?

Big thanks to PLBC for the answer, and yes, my trunk opens regardless of the position of this latch. so... more 'project' for the project boat.

MurphyCO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MurphyCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2016 at 11:54pm
I have a 99 Air and my trunk latch doesn't keep it from opening either. After a year of ownership, restoration and boating it just isn't high on my required list. Love the boat though!
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 2:13am
Open the trunk and look where it would land when closed. In the center is a pin that should protrude when the latch is closed. There should also be a metal catch plate on the trunk lid itself.   

I never latch or lock mine.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2016 at 10:28am
That latch opens a secret compartment so that you can safely hide your shift knob bling.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
planejob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planejob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2016 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

That latch opens a secret compartment so that you can safely hide your shift knob bling.

JQ

Unfortunately, I had to put it back on the pantry door. It was convenient that that the threads matched, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic