NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1972 SN Promo Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 111213
Author
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2019 at 5:03pm
Soooooooo joe............want to grab that for me..........?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2019 at 5:48pm
Depends on whether you can come pick it up before I have to move
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2019 at 9:20pm

2. Can someone measure the distance from the floor to the bottom of the dash? mine seems very tight right now. Especially since i don't have cushion on the seat yet.

[/QUOTE]

I'm heading to the boat tomorrow to hopefully start putting the finishing touches on the stringers. Can someone with a 70's vintage SN help me out?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 1:48pm
Got the stringers bedded yesterday. It took 2 attempts, and let me tell you, the first one was not pretty.

As you guys know, I am figuring all this stuff out as I go. Two days ago I mixed a small batch of epoxy and milled fiber to see how it would act. I used 90 grams of resin and 30 grams hardener to make peanut butter. It worked great and was easy to adapt to my test piece. I calculated the amount i used on my 20" test and extrapolated it out to how much I would need for 2 - 16ft stringers. That is where the train came off the tracks.

For anyone trying this for the first time......DO NOT mix large amounts of 3:1 US Composite Epoxy. I started with 1200 grams and started adding milled fiber. The mixture stayed very liquid for 10-15min and then started to thicken. Right as it started to get creamy, it immediately set up and turned rock hard. I did not know how much heat this stuff gives off when it mixes. The more epoxy......the more heat......the quicker it "kicks" or turns solid.

The second attempt I cut the recipe in half and this ended up being worse. I got the peanut butter into baggies and into the boat to start applying. About 3 minutes into the application, the bag started heating up in my hands to the point I could not hold it. I had 2/3 of a stringer covered in epoxy that was quickly curing and turning unusable. Luckily, Steve and I were able to scrape all the epoxy off into a bucket before it hardened all the way. I threw my gloves, yelled a few choice words, and crawled into a bottle for the night.

Next morning after chatting with Tim, Steve and I gave it another crack. THIS time I only used 200 total grams of epoxy, added filler, and poured it into a ziplock sandwich baggie. I was in the boat applying the butter while Steve continuously made a series of 5 small batches of peanut butter. He kept handing them to me and I kept applying and scraping excess squeezeout. Here is my mixture for anyone looking for a starting point:

150g - resin
50g - hardener
25 - tbsp milled fiber (approx)
3 - tbsp cabosil (aprox)

It was a humid Wisconsin summer day around 84 degrees.

I am pretty happy so far with the results. The peanut butter was still tacky and movable when I left the boat an hour after the bedding. I will check on it tomorrow sometime to make sure everything stayed where it was supposed to be.

Question........What is the best method for sanding excess filler? There were a few spots that did not transition smoothly to form that nice 90 degree curve. I will have to go back and shape some of those areas and probably add a little more material in a few spots that "oil canned" when I was walking in the boat.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 1:56pm
Break out the grinder for those rough filler spots... a sander will be very slow with milled fiber. Stuff is strong and hard.

Next time, consider hitting the finished fillet with a thin coat of resin (brushed) to smooth out the finish. Will prevent any high or rough spots. Or, skip right to glassing before the thickened fillet cures. Just gotta be careful moving around in the boat until the stringers are glued down.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 2:11pm
Yea......I figured it would not be easy to work with once set.

The hull really moved a lot when I was in it. As soon as I got an area smoothed in I would walk away and the shape of the filler would change. I have 7 support points and a set of boat dollies under the hull and it still moved a bit. I guess I will sand and smooth the areas I couldn't control.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 111213
  Share Topic