NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What this? (GT40)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What this? (GT40)
    Posted: October-20-2016 at 1:57pm
I noticed this while winterizing the engine. It's near the back of my GT40 and has two fuel lines going into it. I have no idea what it is. Any thoughts?

Edit: It's at the back of the engine compartment on the port side.

96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 2:05pm
it's a spin on filter/water separator

the housing has 4 ports for different configurations so you can do a U turn with the fuel line or a in one end out the other.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 2:06pm
Is there a spin on fuel filter below that head? Looks like the one I've seen on 94-95 carb'd SN's. Is your Gt40 pre-FCC?
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 2:07pm
Paul that's the fuel filte/ water separator

Edit: dang third in line too slow
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Is there a spin on fuel filter below that head? Looks like the one I've seen on 94-95 carb'd SN's. Is your Gt40 pre-FCC?

Looks like there maybe a filter below that. I have a '95 GT40 but I do have an FCC. My guess is the FCC was added later and isn't original.

So I guess this is something I should change the filter on. Would it be worth trying to eliminate this since I have the FCC?
96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

it's a spin on filter/water separator

the housing has 4 ports for different configurations so you can do a U turn with the fuel line or a in one end out the other.

Any idea what the make or model is on this. I'd like to find out more on how it works and how I should change the filter.
96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2016 at 2:58pm

Looks like it's one of these.

There is definitely a big cylindrical thing underneath but I looked like it was one whole part now as opposed to a filter like this but I didn't look that closley

Boat is getting shrink wrapped today so I guess it's something I can wonder about for the next 5 months.
96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2016 at 4:24pm
I wanted to ask my questions again as i didn't get a response on them.

1. What's the correct filter for this year boat? It is the one in the pic above?
2. Since I have an FCC, can I remove this filter?
96 Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2016 at 4:40pm
yes the fcc will supercede and can replace the original filter which you have found
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2017 at 8:20pm
Now that spring is here, I have decide to tackle this filter and need to decide between the two options. Keep the filter or eliminate it.

1. Keep the filter
Originally I was just going to keep the filter, figured it couldn't hurt and the filters are fairly cheap but I cant actually access the filter. The location is very awkward, and jammed under the exhaust. I think to replace it I am going to need to unscrew the header to change the filter and I guess I am likely to spill the fuel in the process.

2. Eliminate the filter.
Due to the extra effort of replacing the filter, I figured the easier option in the long run would be to eliminate it.. for this I'll need to run a new fuel line from the tank to the LPP., My main questions on this is is the line easy to cut? Can I order it a little long and then cut it to the correct size? What size is this line?

I believe that eliminating the filter is the best options but wanted to confirm this. I also wanted to ask for any advice on reducing spilling fuel when I do other of the options. If there a way to clear the lines, or should I just expect some amount of fuel to spill.

What size hose should I buy?

Anybody else have this filter in this location. I know there are a couple people with the non-fcc GT40's.

96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 11:14am
Can anyone could help with two of my questions.

For the hose from the tank to the LPP, what size Fuel hose should I buy? Is the hose easy to cut, so I can buy it longer and then cut it to the correct length?
96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 11:21am

And issues with me just using one of these fittings to connect the hose that current connects to the filter?

What size would I need?
96 Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 12:12pm
Take a look at the line thats on there now it might be marked as to size. Might be worth your time to change out the whole line anyway,after all it could be 22 years old.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Take a look at the line thats on there now it might be marked as to size. Might be worth your time to change out the whole line anyway,after all it could be 22 years old.

Good Idea, I think I'll just buy a new line.

I'll measure the line next time I am at my boat.
96 Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 4:12pm
Make sure the new fuel line is Marime approved so it has the necessary fire protection.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 4:38pm
Hi Blamey

The couple of links below tell you everything you need to know about fuel lines.

Since you're between the tank and the LPP you can use the B1-15 fuel line or A1-15 can always be substituted for B1-15. Not a big price difference between the A1 and B1 stuff.. You can't go wrong with A1-15 hose.

The first link is easier reading and talks about fuel lines and connections It's the ABYC putting the USCG regs into plain english.

info

more info
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2017 at 6:55pm
Thanks,

I'll get the fuel line from Nautique Parts,
96 Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 10:30pm
Are the fuel lines long enough that you could unbolt the housing from the mount and lift it up where you can service the filter?
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Are the fuel lines long enough that you could unbolt the housing from the mount and lift it up where you can service the filter?

I think so but wouldn't it be better to just eliminate it at this point since the boat had an FCC added.
96 Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

[IMG]uploads/16078/2653k15p1-c01fl.png[/IMG
What size would I need?

3/8
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2017 at 5:58pm
Thought I'd come back and close out the thread.

I completed this little project over the weekend and removed the old fuel filter and replaced the fuel line. It was difficult getting the lines off and had to cut them. I was happy with the suggestion to replace the line as some of it was looking old.

I split alot of fuel removing the filter. didn't realize to would leak like that. Not sure if there was a way to avoid that other than have a bucket ready to place to catch the fuel. Filter had a date of 2013 on it, so it looks like they were changing it regularly.

Still need to get the boat on the water and make sure there are no leaks.

96 Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic