Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Parts for 1963 American Skiier

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Little Lucky Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Lucky Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Parts for 1963 American Skiier
    Posted: November-08-2016 at 2:06pm
I am about to rebuild my heads on this vintage Correct Craft American Skiier with a V6 Buick engine. Are there any sources for information and parts, particularly gaskets and heat exchanger/exhaust manifolds available?
Thank you,
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2016 at 2:42pm
Carl,
Everything you need for an engine rebuild should be available from normal automotive sources. They only came LH (standard rotation) so there aren't any RH specific parts. Do some searching for Buick or Jeep 225 and you should find plenty.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2016 at 2:57pm
Carl,
Was the AS repowered? Double check your engine displacement to make sure it's a 225 and not the earlier 198. Are there HP markings on the engine valve cover?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Lucky Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2016 at 2:59pm
Thank you for this valuable, and encouraging information. Do you know any specifics about the Buick engine that will help at the parts store, it always throughs them when I cant give them a car to look up. Any engine spec's, displacement, HP etc??
Is it safe to assume the exhaust manifold gasket is the standard one even though the manifold is not?
The manifold has a visible crack but does not leak, Any suggestion if it needed to be replaced, or fixed???
Thanks again
LLB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Lucky Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2016 at 3:08pm
Good question. Although the valve covers still have the metal strips the information is all missing, but they are very shinny:-)
The air cleaner says " Universal Sabre V6" beyond this, how might I tell the difference?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2016 at 4:28pm
Carl,
Is there an ID tag on the engine?
You mention you are going to rebuild the heads. A valve grind, seats and guides?
Yes, the exhaust gaskets will be the same as automotive.
You mention there's a crack in the manifold. If you haven't pressure tested them, I recommend doing both manifolds..

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Lucky Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2016 at 1:43pm
Great suggestions and information.
I found the engine tag, on the back of the support bracket for carburetor/valve cover hoses. It says:
Universal Motor Co.
Model SV    Ratio 1:1
Rotation STD
SN 150040

Also cast into the block is: AL GM     1349430

Does any of this clarify what engine I have?

For completeness, the hull Plate has: AM 251

It is also clear that the heads have been off before as they are the only engine parts that are not the original tan paint and gasket material looks fairly new. Should be a good winter project with help like yours.

By the way, very pretty boat, and trailer. Well done.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Lucky Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2016 at 2:02pm
I did a little homework and found this in a Universal Motors History posting:
In 1963 the Sabre V6 (a Buick V6 conversion) was added to the Universal marine engine line, aimed at the inboard/outboard market. It had a displacement of 198 cu in, and was rated at 140 hp. This model was renamed the Super Sabre V6 (Model DX) in 1965 after an engine redesign by Buick. The Super Sabre had a displacement of 225 cu in, and produced 155 hp.

Sounds like I have the 198 cu in, 140 HP model as my boat was purchased in 1963. Does this make sense and imply anything special to be aware of?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Lucky Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2016 at 2:04pm
Like, would the heads, valves etc be the same or different for the 198 (SV) model vs the 225 (DX) model?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2016 at 2:21pm
Carl,
Pictures would be great if you can. Yes, it does look like you have the 198. The CC listing for the AS lists the Universal V6 at 130 HP.

Are you doing the top end rebuild or having it done? An engine rebuilder would be able to fill in some blanks for parts or if you are doing it yourself, a good auto supply may be able to help. I'm not aware of any members who have torn down their V6 but could be wrong.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Lucky Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2016 at 2:25pm
thanks for the feedback. I'm strickly a disassemble/reassemble guy and will give the heads to a professional to rebuild. I feel the disassembly needs to be done very carefully to avoid breaking anything. I've been treating the bolts for weeks to free things up.
Stay tuned
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2016 at 3:05pm
Carl,
I never asked but why the top end job? Due to results from a compression check and leak down test? If you do have the 198, that's the aluminum block so fasteners can be stubborn. What are you using as a penetrating oil on the nuts/bolts?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2016 at 7:08pm
Sounds like we have very similar boats, mine is AM-308, also with the 198 cu. in. V6 Universal Sabre.

I've found that if you talk in automotive stores about it, but mention it's the same 198 that was in Skylarks and a few other models from that year, they are able to help. When you just mention the engine they struggle, but if they have a car to reference they can find the info.

Not sure about manifold gaskets.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Lucky Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2016 at 7:39pm
Hi JP,
I sounds and looks like we have identical boats, I have AM 251, Looks like similar color but mine is probably faded as it looks more baby blue. History is very similar. I worked with the original owner and always told him to give me first dibs if he sold, which he did in about 2011. All still very original and yes, it sounds awesome putting around. He too had a place on a lake in NH, not sure which one but now it resides with me in Lunenburg MA. I'll get some pictures to put on the website soon.
One questions, you have a ski pylon, is it original? I do not have one and don't see any evidence that there ever was one but strange for an American "Skier"!!
I pulled the exhaust manifold off this afternoon and will pull off the intake manifold tomorrow, Now that I see the exhaust gaskets, I am sure they must be the same as the car.
Did you ever look under the valve covers? There seems to be a shield of some sort above the rocker arms on one side only. I know the heads have been worked on so maybe they left out a part??
Thanks for the correct car to reference, I am tired of the parts store guys eyes rolling over when I mention it's a boat.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2016 at 7:47pm
Again on parts stores, you'll have better luck at a full service parts supply house than a national brand one. The guys tend to know a ridiculous amount about engines and cars as compared to a person just looking on a limited computer database at an Autozone or Pepboys.

I've never had the engine apart. The original owner took amazing care of it, and I've done my best to follow suit. I've replace the fuel pump and tune-up parts but not much beyond that.

The pylon is original, it goes through a hole in the front seat back. Yes, you'd think a boat named "American Skier" would have a pylon as a stock feature!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Lucky Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2016 at 1:30pm
Thanks, at least now I know how the pylon would go in if I go that way. As there is no hole in the seat back, it must have been an option that was not exercised.
Rpfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rpfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2017 at 7:28am
Marine Engine Out Board I/O Repair
Spirit Lake Marina & RV Park,West Virginia
Spiritlakemarina@gmail /Mike

source: http://www.craigmarine.info/yacht_boat/services/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic