Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NOS 289 210 HP INTERCEPTOR

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
f4173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f4173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NOS 289 210 HP INTERCEPTOR
    Posted: November-19-2016 at 7:33pm
I have one NOS 289 210HP Interceptor engine. Complete factory original engine from the brass flame arrestor to the cast aluminum oil pan from the marine brass water pump to the aluminum bell housing. Engine is still factory banded on the original wooden Interceptor shipping crate. All aluminum Interceptor parts are present, including the special aluminum timing cover with mechanical tach drive, the aluminum exhaust manifolds, and exhaust hose connections, the engine has never been installed in a boat.
This is a standard rotation engine with a 5 bolt bell housing. Complete original accessories including marine starter and alternator. Special marine Carter 4 barrel AFB and low rise Interceptor aluminum intake manifold. Factory Mallory marine ignition, including original Ford coil and Interceptor porcelain resistor.
Time warp collector piece. Always stored indoors, Perfect condition. Open to offers.
Engine is located in the SF Bay area.
Here is a Youtube link of the Interceptor engine running in the crate: https://youtu.be/SMWMxFL6p7Q
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2016 at 11:42pm
What year would this engine be ?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
f4173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f4173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2016 at 12:05am
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2016 at 4:11pm
How much were you thinking
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
f4173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f4173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2016 at 5:52pm
Where this is NOS, the price is $3250. I think that is quite reasonable as it would cost that to rebuild a used 289. All the Interceptor aluminum parts are brand new, compared to the 50 year old parts that are pretty much done at this point.
Thank you for your interest.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2016 at 3:40pm
I'm restoring a 67 mustang, My current engine is a reverse rotation. You stated this is a standard rotation? just wanted to make sure you didn't mean reverse?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2016 at 4:15pm
From the Video it appears to be turning Clockwise looking from the rear of the engine which would be a Reverse Rotation I believe.
f4173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f4173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2016 at 5:29pm
The Interceptor is a Left hand rotation engine
Serial number PW32L524xxx
The L is the marking for left hand rotation
You can convert your Mustang to left hand rotation, by changing the pump position in the Velvet Drive, and using a Left hand propeller
The benefits are you can use standard automotive cams, starters, and distributors
f4173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f4173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2016 at 5:34pm
What you see in the video is the actual operation of the engine! If thats what you want thats what I have. The engine is clearly marked L for Left hand rotation.
Thank you,
Frank
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2016 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by f4173 f4173 wrote:

You can convert your Mustang to left hand rotation, by changing the pump position in the Velvet Drive, and using a Left hand propeller
The benefits are you can use standard automotive cams, starters, and distributors

Frank,
Yes, we know the conversion can be done but the disadvantages far outweigh the advantage. We have had members do it even after being warned and then are very disappointed. On our early CC's with the narrow hulls prop torque causing the hull to list is compensated by driver weight and hook built into the hulls. A LH engine in a hull designed for a RH will ride excessively low on the starboard side. This can even cause undesirable handling problems when turning. I'm sure there are members sorry to hear that your engine is a LH. It sure looks great and sure is a great value.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2016 at 5:42pm
Automotive vs marine, and possibly current vs legacy marine nomenclature may have different reference points for RH and LH rotation.

Standard rotation and reverse rotation are better terms to avoid confusion, especially if you're not quite sure what you're talking about.
f4173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f4173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2016 at 6:14pm
The engine for sale is a marked L in the serial number, a Left hand rotation engine.

You are welcome to play the video and see the engine run in the shipping crate.

The rotation is always determined from the flywheel end which is visible in the video.

Standing behind the engine, looking at the flywheel:
The shaft rotation arrow decal shows the shaft rotation from right to left   "<<<<<<<<<<<"

The original engine decal is also marked "use left hand propeller"

I hope this helps!

All of the interceptor aluminum parts are present and brand new. They to find a set of NOS aluminum Interceptor exhaust manifolds or the front timing cover.....
These parts are interchangeable and fit both L Left and R Right hand rotation engines.

Thank you,
Frank

Thank you,
Frank
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2016 at 6:25pm
Frank,
Thanks for confirming the rotation again. Even thought you state the engine tag has the "L" in it (for "standard" rotation so Timmy doesn't have a stroke ) It's always good to confirm the flywheel rotation by a visual. Looking at your video I couldn't really tell especially since there was some stroboscopic effect.

BTW, you wouldn't happen to have a NOS 312 Interceptor still in the box??? RH (reverse) of course!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2016 at 7:01pm
Sampling rate on the upload and/or download must be confusing the issue as it sure looks like the pulleys are spinning counterclockwise to me. That would be RH per the current marine convention (which was not always the case).

You're saying the video is misleading me? And the flywheel is actually the one rotating counterclockwise?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2016 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You're saying the video is misleading me? And the flywheel is actually the one rotating counterclockwise?

You most likely are mislead!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
f4173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f4173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2016 at 8:14pm
Well I am no video expert! The point of the video was to show the engine running.

The engine is labeled L,. on the stamped serial number on the timing cover. The Interceptor manual says that a L, is a Left Hand rotation engine, which is also listed as a standard rotation engine. The rotation decal on the bell housing points this way <<<<<< and indicates that a Left Hand propeller is to be used when installing the engine in a boat.

Sorry if the video confused anyone......

Thank you, and I hope the engine finds a good home!

I am happy just to sell all the NOS Interceptor aluminum parts if someone wants to pay me the full asking price, plus my time to disassemble the engine.

BTW: The standard rotation 289 engine, with a 5 bolt bell housing fits early 64.5 Mustangs, Sunbeam Tigers, and Shelby Cobras. There certainly is a market for the long block!

Frank.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2016 at 10:20am
The video fooled me too Pete although it is tough to tell
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2017 at 1:03am
[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] [QUOTE=f4173] . On our early CC's with the narrow hulls prop torque causing the hull to list is compensated by driver weight and hook built into the hulls.

Wait, what? All this time and I didn't know this.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

DasBoot67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DasBoot67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2017 at 9:12pm
What ever happened to that engine
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2017 at 1:36pm
I pm'd him a question last year.... He returned the pm today and said it was sold.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic