NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'97 SN Oil Pan Drain Plug Welded

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '97 SN Oil Pan Drain Plug Welded
    Posted: December-03-2016 at 2:29am
I bought a remote oil drain kit for my '97 Ski Nautique with a GT-40 engine and the description of the kit lead me to believe that there were clearance issues with the '97 SN. When I got ready to install it, I realized that the drain plug (port side of pan) was welded up.

Was this a common feature on '97 Ski Nautiques from the factory? There is no way that this could have been done with the engine installed in the boat, and I have no knowledge that the engine has ever been removed since it left the factory.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2016 at 3:24am
I thought remote oil drain kits were standard on Pcm/cc since ~1980.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2016 at 8:52am
Are you saying that the only way to get oil out of the engine is to suck it up the dipstick? That definitely doesn't sound factory.
'92 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2016 at 10:06am
Pat,
Reading Skidim's description for the kit I get the impression that the engine needs to be raised to swivel the fitting onto the pan and then the engine is lowered back down? There is no way that the engine could be raised and stay in that position without goofing up the alignment.

If the drain plug has been welded on, then a PO did some back yard hack work on the engine!!! Can you get a good picture of the drain?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2016 at 12:45pm
MechGatT, yes, currently the only way to drain the oil is through the dipstick.

8122pbrainard, I understand that the engine is raised for the installation and then lowered back down. Skidim's kit has a large swivel, whereas Nautiqueparts has a much smaller swivel, which is why I went with their kit. It looked as though Nautiqueparts kit could be installed without raising the engine.

I'll try to get a picture of the drain the next time I'm working on it.
harriss28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harriss28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2016 at 1:39pm
i used a banjo bolt on my 97
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2016 at 8:53pm
I owned a 97 SN. It came from the factory with NO oil drain hose. I was told by CC that there wasn't enough room in the bilge for the 90 degree adaptor with the limited room under the oil pan.

I had a marine mechanic (PCM certified) install a drain hose. This required lifting the engine and realignment check. I was then able to completely drain the oil using the hose. Not a fan of the suck up method as I feel that it doesn't allow the most contaminated oil from the pan. Gravity.
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2016 at 7:04pm
It turns out that the drain plug wasn't welded on. Someone must have been removing/installing it with vice grips, so it was so chewed up that it appeared as though it had been welded on. There wasn't enough of it left to get vice grips on it, so I tacked the head of a bolt to it to get it out. What a waste of a day!

Even the drain kit from Nautiqueparts won't install without lifting the engine. Looks like I need another 1/2" of clearance at the drain plug to install it. That'll be the next project.

Appreciate all the help guys.

P.S. Great idea on the banjo bolt.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2016 at 8:12pm
Unbolt the transmission mounts and roll the whole thing forward. Should have clearance.
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 8:34am
That's the plan.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 8:45am
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

. Not a fan of the suck up method as I feel that it doesn't allow the most contaminated oil from the pan. Gravity.

David,
My opinion is the opposite I have experienced where sludge will not drain out due to it plugging up the hole blocking the flow. Gravity IS the problem whereas with the suck up, you have a negative pressure assist. I suck out so much sludge using the vac method that I need to periodically scrape it out of the bottom of the reservoir. This opinion is from the hundreds of oil changes I've done through all the years.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 11:07am
Suck up from the dipstick first and then the drain hose (once installed), This opinion is from the Billions of oil changes I have done through the years, lol
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 1:35pm
I think you guys are misunderstanding him. I'll venture to guess when he says suck up method,he is referring to putting a hose down the dipstick and removing the oil. I myself connect the mity vac to the oil pan drain hose and vacuum out all the oil. Just how long are you guys leaving the oil in to have sludge problems anyway
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 1:41pm
For what it is worth, my '97 does not have a drain hose either.....I use the dipstick method, oil was changed every 25 hours by po and I will continue at 25 hour intervals.....my theory is oil is very cheap insurance.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 2:01pm
If it's so cheap you could do every 15 hours.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 2:21pm
I put in 10 quarts instead of 5 so it lasts twice as long
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 3:31pm
Wisenheimers..,,
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

. Not a fan of the suck up method as I feel that it doesn't allow the most contaminated oil from the pan. Gravity.

David,
My opinion is the opposite I have experienced where sludge will not drain out due to it plugging up the hole blocking the flow. Gravity IS the problem whereas with the suck up, you have a negative pressure assist. I suck out so much sludge using the vac method that I need to periodically scrape it out of the bottom of the reservoir. This opinion is from the hundreds of oil changes I've done through all the years.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2016 at 10:41pm
We can agree to disagree. I've always been of the opinion that sucking oil through the dip stick is a "backyard hack" as you are fond of saying. I can drain the oil through the drain hose painlessly by positioning my oil reservoir under the boat (resting on the pontoons of my HydroHoist boat lift). First I make sure that the engine is warm, then drain overnight.

No worries, everyone has different ways of achieving the same thing. BTW, I started changing oil in 1961. Never had an issue. I do use the pump out method for transmission fluid.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2016 at 12:28am
I drained Johnny's 454 last week. Warmed it up to 155 in the yard. Weather was 30s-40s and I was pleasantly surprised with how much came out the drain hose overnight outside.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2016 at 5:19am
If draining, warming it up is the key. Cold oil just won't flow.
With my boat I let it drain for days when I can. Usually drain it after bringing it home from the lake while it is still hot. Hot oil flows really well.
My 1987 Malibu with the Chevy 350 Engine was mounted so you could never pull the drain plug. Not welded but no room to remove it. Very poor design in my opinion. Good reason to come back to Nautique!   I still own a pump if needed so that is good I guess but I like to drain my oil. If I want a flush I will pour a quart of ATF down the top with the drain open. It will wash out the pan quickly. Let it drain another day and you know the pan is clean. If a minor amount remains inside it wont break down 5 quarts of good new oil..   I would bet all comes out but a spoonful. It does remove a lot of dirty oil sludge from the pan. Microwave a quart of Oil till it is hot and pour it down if you are concerned about the tranny fluid method.   Hot oil will flow and wash out the pan.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2016 at 8:47am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Microwave a quart of Oil till it is hot and pour

Learn something new everyday.
I have heated up a cup of water in the microwave and put a hose end in it to
get the hose over a fitting.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2016 at 3:23pm
& get wifey a new microwave soon after!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2016 at 6:20am
Don't tell the wife!!!!   That would be suicide for sure.
It does work though.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2016 at 2:14pm
I have these on both my '85, '95 Nautique and my wife's Jeep. I prefer the one with the adjustable elbo.
They work great just stick a hose on and open the valve, when done close the valve and remove hose.
http://www.fumotousa.com/results.php?make=19&year=1995&model=13775&makeid=FORD&modelid=F-250+5.8L+V8
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2017 at 10:21am
I have the skidim hose for a 97' brand new for $40 shipped if someone wants it. came with my 97' sport (cracked blocked replaced with a 2000)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic