NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

60's red and white flag size?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 60's red and white flag size?
    Posted: December-12-2016 at 10:39pm
Anyone know the size of the flag used in the mid 60's. I found these...
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2016 at 10:41pm
Moody Blue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 12:43am
I saw this also a couple of months ago. Used the contact link to ask about the flags and never heard back. Was glad I hadn't ordered/ paid for one. I may try to contact again. Curious to know if you have luck with it.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 6:15am
Not the same but would this work? I ordered one with no problem

flag
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 7:01am
Colin,
Your 66 would need the white burgee.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 8:55am
I tried to order one from that person and they refunded me and said there machines were broke.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 9:16am
Too bad as the white one in the photo looks like an excellent reproduction.
63 Atom Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Atom Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2016 at 3:23pm
Hi guys...I bought that same flag (the one originally posted) a few years back, and while it was a very nice flag, it was made out of cotton and was very heavy compared to the original nylon flags. When I tried to use it on the front of my boat, it started to rip itself to pieces due to it's own weight while it whipped in the wind from the speed of the boat (and top speed of my boat is only about 40mph). Having said that...it would be a great flag to hang on the wall!
Jason
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2016 at 11:45am
As long as we are talking flags, I thought I'd mention ensign sizing. The horizontal width of an ensign should in inches roughly match the boat length in feet. IE: if you have an 18' boat, the ensign should be 18" in width.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2016 at 12:43pm
This is good to know. I'm probably going to have on made from nylon. So my 66 mustang 16' should have one about 16". Any idea on the height? Also if anyone has dimensions on the flagstaff that would help has I may have a machinist make one for me.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2016 at 2:00pm
Colin,
You should be good to go with an 18" ensign. It's close enough but if you do have a shorter one made, the flag company with know the height since there is a standard ratio between the height and width. Years ago I did have an ensign made for my 14'6" Atom and all I gave them was a 15" width dimension.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2016 at 1:38pm
I have an OEM one. It's white but not bright white; more of a cream color which I think it original color. I've never seen a pure-white one;. I'll get the measurements off it later and also post a photo if I can figure out how to post one. Anyone out there with instructions?
"Art"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2016 at 5:03pm
You can get a nice 12x18 sewn, nylon ensign from west marine. I got one years ago. Has held up well.
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2016 at 7:05pm
The one from west marine says Correct Craft? I have not seen these. Maybe a phone call. The closest store to me is a couple hours!!
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2016 at 7:10pm
Art,
That would be great. If I had a picture and dimensions I could get it reproduced to the closest to original. I'm not sure how to help you post pics here. I only use my phone or iPad. If you want send them to my email if that works better.
Crtaggart@gmail.com

Thanks,
Colin
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2016 at 8:47pm
Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about ensigns not CC flags. Pete brought up ensigns and I thought that's where the conversation went.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2016 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Colint Colint wrote:

Using the photo from your 12/16/12 post, here are the dimensions from mine.

The cloth is a canvas-type fabric. It is very heavy fabric and the lettering is done with what feels like paint. The cloth is thick enough that the lettering doesn't show through from the opposite side, but if you hold it up to the light, you can then see the lettering on the opposite side. In daylight you can't see through it.

Along the top edge from the edge at the staff to the tip of the "V" is 16-1/2"
The top edge is at 115 degrees to the staff edge.
The tip-to-tip on the "tail" is 4-1/2"
The angle between the tails is 90 degrees.
From the center of the staff edge to the notch on the V-tails is 16"
The bottom edge is 20-3/4"
The angle between the bottom edge and the staff edge is 60 degrees.
The height along the staff is 8-3/4"

There is reinforcement tape sewn to the staff edge and two 3/8" grommets to hang.
The top and bottom edges are folded over about 1/4" and bound with zigzag stitching.
The "V" notch is folded over about 7/8" and sewn and stitched along both edges.

The OEM flags were made by Taylor Made in Gloversville NY. You might want to research and see whether you might be able to find a blank one and have Alan Arrighi silkscreen the lettering for you. He has a T-shirt printing business, and I'm sure he would be capable of this. Maybe he would even make you a flag. He is a member of this site, although I don't recall his handle at the moment.

Maybe someone will come forward and tell us how to post photos on this site. I will try to get a photo and email it to you this weekend.
"Art"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2016 at 11:34pm
Here you go Art the 7th post down. Larry has explained it well,sounds more intimidating than it really is.   Link to photo posting
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2017 at 12:21pm
Colin,
The later 60's Correct Craft script file is in the misc. section of the reference section. It may help if you plan on having a burgee made.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic