Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition issue, I think

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
firefighterwes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefighterwes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition issue, I think
    Posted: July-02-2006 at 9:16pm
Hey guys,

I have posted several times here and you guys always, always give some great mechanical advice. Im gonna start from the beginning and try and see if you guys can't solve my problem. It will be a long post, so I want to apologize in advance. My mechanic friends and I just cannot figure this out. I have an 80' Nautique and last year I had the carb rebuilt. I did not know however that the black circle(choke, didnt know it was the choke at the time) needed to go with the carb so it could be adjusted. Got the carb back and I ran it for a day and lost all power while I was on the water. Realized the starter was bad and I replaced it. Also found out that something had disconnected underneath the dashboard. After replacing the starter and also connecting these 2 pieces again the boat would finally turn over, but would not start. I had a friend at the fire station tell me to bring it in one day and he seemed to think we could get it running again. Turned the key over and gas came spewing out of the carb(gas set in boat for about a year). Pulled the carb apart and everything works as it should. Pulled valve covers off thinking it could be a stuck valve. All were working properly. Finally got the carb issue resolved and now it seems as if im not getting enough fire to the plugs to make it fire up. I replaced my points style igntion(long time coming for that) with a pertronix 1581 and Im still not able to get it to fire. My battery seems weak but we've definitely got fire to the plugs although the spark is orange and blue and not solid blue like it should. My negative battery cable is corroted but I just changed the positive. This is my first boat and I have neglected it, but my goal is to get her running again and rebuild the trailer and replace graphics and restore her to the way she was in 80'. My wife is gonna kill me if I have to take it to CC here in town and spend another 75/hr. to have it fixed. If you guys can help in anyway it would be much appreciated. Sorry this was so long, I just thought it would be best if everyone knew everything rather than just half the story.

Thanks,
Wes
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2006 at 9:43pm
Wes,

I'm a total newbie, but I learned a VERY important lesson recently....

START WITH THE EASY STUFF FIRST!

When was the last time the boat had a tune-up?

If it's been awhile or you don't know... give it a COMPLETE tune up before you start guessing at potential problems.

New cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and filters, to start. Then you can go on to troubleshooting if those don't solve your problem.

Just my 2cents. Good luck.

Joe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefighterwes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2006 at 10:05pm
Just replaced old ignition system(plugs, rotor, etc.,) with an electronic conversion kit.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2006 at 10:45pm
You said that you replaced the starter . Are you sure you replaced it with the rihgt rotation of a starter . It kind of sounds like youre engine might be turning backwords . Thats my .02 . Maybe 79 Nautique will chime in with a more nowledgable answer.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2006 at 11:10pm
if the ground is corroided then you are not going to have any good results until that's fixed and don't by a cheap ass 2 ga automotive cable. Did you get a starter for a reverse rotation engine and is it a marine unit? Have you set the timing? did you read the instructions for the conversion kit and have the proper coil/ballast resistor set up for your kit?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2006 at 8:13am
Maybe you need better mechanic-friends.

Ditto on the backwards starter and bad battery cables.

Stop fussn about graphics. Be more concerned with 27 year old control cables first.

Given that history, there is a good chance you have the wrong battery by now, too.

If you're spinning it backwards the impeller's condition is now suspect.

Fix those things and report back.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2006 at 11:04am
I agree with all above. It sounds like you are spinning your engine backwards. Make sure you have the correct starter. An automotive starter will not work - it will turn in the wrong direction. You will still get fire to your plugs even if you are spinning your engine in the wrong direction.

Try to recover your old starter, from where ever it may be, and have it rebuilt.

Don't waste time looking under your valve covers for a stuck valve - that ain't happenin.

BTW, put your valve covers back on before you start your engine or you will learn a whole lot about how Ford lubes their rockers.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefighterwes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2006 at 1:04pm
Appreciate the input. I just took the old starter out and bought a new one at an auto parts store. Sounds like I screwed the pooch on that one. I did buy a set of marine battery connections for the cables. I will call cc dealer here in Jax and see if I can buy a starter. I was so happy when I took the old one off and the auto parts store had one like it. This is my first boat and I had no idea that the boat had a reverse rotation engine. I am learning alot about these boats. I did take my time with the ignition system. I looked at the instructions and then at my distributor and was not able to see a ballast resistor like the kit talked about. It showed application with/without one. I did replace the coil as well. Purchased with the conversion kit from pertronix. Valve covers have been back on.

Thanks,
Wes
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2006 at 1:12pm
Compare their price with skidim.com before you commit.

Too bad you don't still have the old one, local rebuilders can often turn them around fast.

I bet someone is going to get your core someday and their f250 is going to try turning backwards...oops
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2006 at 1:38pm
The auto parts store may still have your old core laying in their back room. I would at least call them and ask. Rebuilding your starter will save you money. New marine starters are pricy.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2006 at 3:10pm
Lots of 351/302 marine starters on ebay.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefighterwes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2006 at 9:59pm
So Im guessing im needing a clockwise rotation starter? Ive found a couple rebuilts on ebay. Thanks alot guys.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2006 at 10:14pm
"Clockwise and counter-clockwise" confuse me because it depends on which way you're facing. Get a "reverse rotation" starter.

Be warned, there is such a thing as a standard rotation marine engine. Just becuase it is a marine starter does not garuantee it is a reverse-rotation starter.

The older CCs just happened to use RR engines.

Automobile engines are considered "standard rotation" engines.

Boats with two engines usually have one reverse and one standard so the prop thrust would cancel each other.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefighterwes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2006 at 11:06am
I found a couple on a web-site that says " Ford 351, used on older 70's and 80's model boats". Please forgive me but I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I do really appreciate all the help. Im having a hard time finding "reverse rotation" starters.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic