Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Port side floor trouble!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mesc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mesc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Port side floor trouble!
    Posted: January-20-2017 at 1:32am
Well I need some help/advise/direction. I was cleaning up the inside of my 84 SN 2001, and found that the floor on the port side was rather squeaky, and well, loose. I pulled the carpet back and revealed that the floor had pulled away from the hull. What is the best way to go about fixing this? I'm able to do most any repairs myself, just have never done any fiberglass work. Pictures and video, work well with me as I learn most things by watching others first, All that to say help!
mesc
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2017 at 7:46am
Originally posted by mesc mesc wrote:

found that the floor on the port side was rather squeaky, and well, loose. I pulled the carpet back and revealed that the floor had pulled away from the hull. What is the best way to go about fixing this?

David,
My first recommendation is for you to take a look at some of the threads on floor/stringer R&R's. It will give you a better idea of what may be lurking below the sole (floor). Typically when the sole pulls away from the hull sides there are problems with rotten stringers. Good threads with pictures can be found in the FAQ thread in the maintenance section. Also, there are several current threads running in the maintenance section. Pictures of your problem would also help. I also would ask you to take a look at the outside of your hull sides. Are there any horizontal cracks roughly at the level of the sole?

You may also want to start a new thread in the maintenance section as you may get better viewing in that section. The new section of the forums is for "What's new at CorrectCraftFan.com".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mesc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mesc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2017 at 5:56pm
Thank you for the response and the place to look for some advise. I have read till I am blue in the face and hope I have enough info now to at least start this project. Time will tell. I will post some pick as I progress for anyone to give advise on.
David
mesc
greggboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greggboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2017 at 3:47am
Useful post.
mesc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mesc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2017 at 11:38am
Just to finalize this post; After belly aching over how or if I should proceed, I decided to rip out the entire floor which revealed what I had expected. The stringers were rotted so bad that a hand full looked like cooked roast beef. I pulled 20 gallons of water from the hull and even more if were to add up the amount that was in the foam and stringers.
New stringers were cut out of 2x10 pine and oak. All boards were coated with resin, then laminated together to for the exact size, shape and length of the original. Stringer's were set on 1/8" small pcs of foam, then set in place with construction adhesive. Resin peanut butter was mixed and used to fillet all seams, that would help with fiberglassing that would come next. All the stringers were tabbed in place with 3 separate layers of chopped strand fiberglass. At this point non waxed gellcoat was painted on and is 100% water tight. 1/2" marine plywood was cut to fit for the floor, which was the coated with resin (both sides and edges). Floor was set in place with construction adhesive, peanut butter used to fillet all seams. Holes were drilled in spots premeasured for new foam to be poured into. 1 hole to pour in and one hole for air to escape out as foam expands. Holes were plugged and peanut buttered. Fiberglass (3 layer) was was used to tab the floor to the hull. Sheets of fiberglass were resined in place, gellcoat was painted on. No water should ever get to the stringers again. I also install new air vent pipe from the hood vents to the bilage area. This pipe is solid flex 3" air line that will last forever unlike the cheap air hose the factory installed.
New carpet installed and interior put back in, which had been redone several years ago.
If you are not willing to put in the time, money and effort to do this job at some point, to keep your old boat on the water then you should buy a new boat. But that is just my opinion. This project cost me 2.5 months and $2000 to do. I now have an 84 SN 2001,
With $7500 invested that will be enjoyed by generations to come.
Happy boating y'all🚤
mesc
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 5:39pm
I hope your new floor holds up. not a really good idea to use marine ply, do to delamination with treated ply.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

I hope your new floor holds up. not a really good idea to use marine ply, do to delamination with treated ply.

Jeff,
Marine ply has NO treatment!!! What are you thinking about?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic