Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2006 Sv211 limited surf help needed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MadWop75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadWop75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2006 Sv211 limited surf help needed
    Posted: January-26-2017 at 1:42am
Hello Everyone,

Newbie here. Purchased a clean 06 sv211 limited this summer (152 hours). My questions is about the factory installed ballast tanks (3) I really want to try and learn to surf on this boat as being 45 your body gets beat up easily lol. I picked up a 2017 Quick shift wake shaper to also help with the wake. For all you surfers should I keep the stock hard ballast tanks in the boat or should I pull them out and install something else? And if I should pull them what are some good options to go with? HELP!

Thanks,
Dave
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2017 at 8:11am
Welcome to CCFan Dave! Not too many 211 owners here on CCFan and Mojo is the only regular member that I know who has a 211 that can probably answer this question. Hopefully he'll see this and pipe up. Have you tried asking the same question over on Planet Nautique? Those guys are more into surfing and newer Nauti's over there.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2017 at 10:28am
Dave,
Congrats on picking up a fine model !!! The 211 is a great boat. The one thing it doesn't do well on its own is surf.. Sorry about that..

That said, we've tried numerous times to get the boat set up with the stock ballast ( and some rotund friends) ha and while you can get some wake to form, its not optimal. While researching the same thing, guys are seeing great success with distributing the weight evenly from front to back adding fat sacks in the rear and bow of the boat. Add on wake shapers are gaining popularity and I heard they do work, but I have no experience with them to date. Guys on planet Nautique have been some help. I invite you to post the same there..
In the end you can surf the 211, but it needs help. With tweaking and the right added ballast, you should achieve success. Oh and hopefully all of your riders are conventional (left side) as the left side walkway sets up perfect for the extra ballast. Goofy, not so much..
Good luck with the boat. Dont get frustrated, it takes some time to get right..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 12:59am
Dave,

A buddy of mine on Lake Norman has a 05 211 and he is a big surfer. We made a homemade wake shaper and it greatly improved his wake. He use to fill his factory hard tanks and then add fat sacks to get the boat to surf well. The boat would be leaning to one side due to the fat sacks. With the home made Wake Shaper / Suck Gate / Ghetto Gate, we can now surf with only the factory ballast and the boat is no long leaning to one side. We do play with moving one person from the bow Play Pen to the observer seat. The Suck Gate allows him to surf future back and not so close to the platform. I would not remove the factory hard tanks.

Like Tim said www.plantnautique.com can also help you with this. These guys all ski, foot and a few are closet tubers. You can also check out Wakeworld.com.

Good luck,

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
charlesml3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote charlesml3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 2:42pm
My brother owns an 07 SV-211 and with a wake-shaper or "suck gate' it surfs just fine. Factory ballast. He sometimes makes the wake bigger with fat-sacs.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 3:17pm
where does the average Joe go and get one? I'm not making a "home made" anything...
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 3:23pm
wakemakers.com, but when you see how much they want for them you may want to make your own. I have seen home made ones pop up on our local craigslist.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 3:43pm
Nautiquehunter has made a couple for his and a fellow 210 owner. HUGE difference in wake. Give him a shout Moj'
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2017 at 3:51pm
Yeah, I just watched a tutorial about making one for $40 bucks haha.. These damn things are expensive..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

NautiqSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NautiqSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2017 at 11:24am
Mad,
We've had a 211 for 12 years and we've tried just about everything imaginable to get the best surf wake. I removed the factory hard tanks (this makes servicing the engine so much easier as well as gives me more room) installed 750# bags in their place, then scattered bags along the side and in the bow. The most important thing you can do to this boat is make sure the bow is weighted, it won't surf well at all with an extreme nose high attitude. I put at least 150# in the bow.
This past year I made what was the best improvement to the surf wake though, I made a suckgate/surfgate/plastic thingy sticking to the side of the boat. With that I fill both rear bags, add about 200# to the bow and it makes a long wave with good push. The key is to balance the boat front to rear, too much weight in the stern and you'll just make a big, ugly, short wave.
The surfgate is super easy to build for about $40 or so, this will be the single biggest improvement you can make to your surf wave.
2005 SV211 (upgrading soon - like March 10)
1995 Ski Nautique

Water will cause many men to be rich of the soul but poor of the wallet.
joshjanae View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjanae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2017 at 12:40pm
If you don't want to make a wake gate, you can get one off ebay for about $100. Granted those are all just homemade jobs. There is the endless wake one on ebay for 160. Still, its only about $40 to make your own and there are plenty of tutorials.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2017 at 12:46pm
The "suck gate" as they call it, can be made cheaply and from what I can see, they work pretty well. I've seen some guys on the jetboat forums have great success with them.

For $40, it can't hurt to try and make your own.

Here's one of many videos:

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2017 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

where does the average Joe go and get one? I'm not making a "home made" anything...

Tons on e-bay. All homemade.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
IanDB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IanDB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 1:50pm
https://youtu.be/x49MnDUlcE4Surfing a 211SV
I recently got a 2005 211SV and am having good luck with the surf wake.
See the video for an example.
Last weekend got it dialled in a little better with:
All 3 factory ballast tanks full
400 lb fatsacs in each rear locker (half full)
Mission Delta wake shaper on opposite side of surf wave (the wake shaper is the most important part!!)

I got mine from Buywake.com - tell them I sent you!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic