Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

90 SN 351 idle problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 4:29pm
its a yellow one. boat is close to toronto. Its on a new custom galvanized trailer. new trans, elec ignition, starter and now carb rebuild. Its in good condition, floor and stringers are excellent, so is the carpet. few rips in some of the vinyl, and the yellow and decals are a bit faded. Gelcoat is excellent. Overall its a good boat, I just want to ski. what would you offer me?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 4:35pm
Shoot me an email: TRBenj@gmail.com
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 5:03pm
It's in a gray can and it is called "Engine Restore"

Yeah, it might be a band-aid, but I have seen it work for quite a long time, at least on my wranglers.   
http://www.restoreusa.com/

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 5:11pm
I don't think you need to be worring about a rebuild at this point. Replace the oil with what's recommended (probably 20W50) and you should be fine (and keep gasoline out of the crankcase).
I'd suggest learning to work on it yourself. It's not all that hard and it saves a lot of time and money, most of the time. Plus it gives me a good feeling to fix things myself.
As far as troubleshooting:
--Work on one commponent at a time
--Have a reason for fixing that component
--Take a systematic approach
--Eliminate the simple/obivious things first (most problems are the simple/obivous or they started out that way and messed up other things)
The fourm is a great resource.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by jimbo jimbo wrote:

I don't think you need to be worring about a rebuild at this point. Replace the oil with what's recommended (probably 20W50) and you should be fine (and keep gasoline out of the crankcase).
I'd suggest learning to work on it yourself. It's not all that hard and it saves a lot of time and money, most of the time. Plus it gives me a good feeling to fix things myself.
As far as troubleshooting:
--Work on one commponent at a time
--Have a reason for fixing that component
--Take a systematic approach
--Eliminate the simple/obivious things first (most problems are the simple/obivous or they started out that way and messed up other things)
The fourm is a great resource.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I've thought for a long time that this motor may need to be overhauled (wouldn't that be a great show for us boat freaks!!!!) & it eventually will. it has 830 original hours on it and until I bought it nothing has been replaced. So I am now the bearer of the rebuilding process.

I will see how the carb rebuild goes and the oil swap and then work my way from there.

will update once that work has been done.

you're right this site is an excellent resource, but during the summer I have no time to work on this boat. the off season I can, but I am a skier first boat owner second. I just want to be on the water, not screwing around with my boat. I have learned a lot about these motors over the years from my old ski supreme, but as I mentioned there is little time in my schedule to work on this boat.

thx all for the help, I'll keep you posted.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2006 at 1:15am
an idle issue will not effect an oil pressure issue, if you don't have a good oil pressure at 2000 and a bad idle, your not going to have good oil pressure at 4,000 rpm or 1000 rpm. Keep telling your self it's going to fix it's self. All of the suggestions are band aid's mine included, to get you a little more time but the bottom line is the motor is junk and needs rebuilt, keep telling your self it's ok and when the rod shoots out the side of the block, while your being towed in, call me and I'll remind do you remember.....
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2006 at 9:13am
Hey dude, chill out. I'm not telling myself anything. I know that these motors run low on the psi side of things and I will see what happens when I change the oil to the 20w50. I realize a rebuild is in its future it has 830 hrs on it and I don't think its had a lot of attention over the years.

How about I call you to do the rebuild? what would you charge to either do all the bearings or swap out the short block?
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 3:39am
Kylecraft,
Just stick with it a while longer and you'll be skiing in no time. You've stated you have a solid hull and new tranny to say the least so your almost there.

A Carb re-build is great when you do it yourself. If you pay a mechanic then the labor plus the kit is probably more than a new Edelbrock Marine carb.

If you really like your hull and the boats performance then rebuild that engine. If you need help talking to the machine shop, drop me an email and I'll call them with you.

Regarding the engine, very few Dealers dig into the internals and repair them and the result is they can offer little or no help with the oil pressure issue. I always check around and find a machine shop that is fully equipped to pull the engine, tear down and bore and re-assemble. Find one that does performance engines. Most Dealers/Mechanics will send the engines or maybe just the block and heads to the same place and reassemble themselves, but pay the machine shop to reassemble is only about $200 and now you have only the machine shop to deal with. If you just teardown, replace all bearings and gaskets the total price should be around $1200. Takes about a week. Boring adds no time, but the last one I did cost me $150 to bore and I bought forged pistons for about $240 bringing my total to around $1800. The shop pulled the engine on Monday and had me skiing on Friday.

You can buy cheaper pistons but make sure the piston to cylinder wall clearance is 0.40" or you'll be right back on this forum. I went with forged since several of us slalom at 36 MPH and 3600 RPM for long periods of time. Cruising and Wakeboarding don't require this attention but if you've got the $'s it's money well spent.

By Performance I'm refering to guy's that machine during the day and possibly race on weekends. These guy's can rebuild a Holley and check all circuits in their sleep and the finished engine will have equal compression (as close as can be measured) in every cylinder. These style shops are all over and the guy's who work them are well experienced for rebuilding a performance marine engine. If you bore, you have a great chance to increase compression which IMHO is a great way to begin performance modifications. Just stay under 180 psi and you can still run pump gas.

Good Luck

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 3:57am
Sorry...0.040" clearance. Auto's and Crate engines are typically 0.025 so if you go the Crate route make sure you cover this point.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2006 at 7:49pm
newsflash.

so got the carb rebuilt. it now runs worse than ever (virtaully no oil pressure) and it cost me 600 bucks. I don't have very much money and my one passion is skiing.

writing this is tough, I don't know what to say...

all I want is someone who knows what the hell they are doing to tell me how to fix this boat.

I appreciate what everyone has done on this site, unfortunately none of you are close to me.

The biggest problem I have now is the boat is in the water; I didn't have time or a truck to pull it out and take it somewhere else, wherever that even is... I don't know who to trust with this thing. So I have to wait until next weekend to pull it out. At least that gives me some time to think about how I'm going to handle it.

My incling is to phone all the marinas close to me and talk to them about it. There is 1 mastercraft dealer but they obviously don't use pcm motors. I won't take it to the CC dealer as I mentioned in earlier posts because it was the worst experience of my life dealing with them last year. I don't know how they are in business other than the fact that they service a rich area and rich clientelle.

what should I look for in a mechanic, to work on this boat? anyone that you guys would recommend in central ontario?

any other causes other than rung out bearings for the low oil pressure.

it doesn't happen until you run it for 20minutes and it has to be a cold motor for you even to get decent psi.

It didn't do this earlier in the year. I've only put a few hrs on it this season.

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2006 at 11:45pm
1. What exactly do you mean by it is running worse than ever? Idle? Just the oil pressure?
2. Did the mechanic adjust the carb on YOUR boat or a test engine? You will probably need to adjust the idle and fuel/air mixture.
3. Have you changed the oil to some Dino 20W50? Are you sure you have the correct filter installed?
If you don't want to wait until next weekend, any mechanic should be able to change the oil,check the pressure with a manual gaugeand dial in the carb.
If you can wait til next weekend, pull the boat out and change the oil. Put it back in, check the base timming, set the idle then the fuel/air mixture. If you're still having pressure problems, check the pressure with a manual gauge.
An oil change is cheap and dialing in the carb is pretty easy. Don't give up yet.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 9:44am
Thanks Jimbo.

1. it still stalls at idle. Carb kit was installed, but the mechanic mentioned something about a front end kit???? I thought a carb rebuild was a carb rebuild? I could've put a new carb on for the price I paid him.

EDIT: The oil pressure is lower than it was before the kit was put in. When hot it idled below 10psi on the guage and at 30mph will be up around 15. so it is worse than before.

2. he took the boat out himself and adjusted it in the water. He said it ran great until about 20minutes, which is approximately the time it takes to warm up completely. He said he adjusted it but how well I don't know.

3. he changed the oil without me asking for the same reasons you all mentioned. I don't know what he put in; probably 10w30, but I will confirm. I will also confirm the proper filter. I bought a jug of 20w50 so I can swap it out easy.

How do you check the pressure with a manual guage? and who can I take it to to dial in the carb. I don't have a manual and I'm not taking it back to the guy that just did it. For $600 and $500 in labor you should be able to get to the bottom of virtually any and every problem IMO.

I have to find a good mechanic!!!! would any good ford mechanic be able to work on this boat. what should an auto mechanic know about this setup that would be different (rotation, etc.)?

thx
Kyle
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 12:40pm
Odds are it's not 20w50 oil and odds are the mechanic's a dumb ass, and for $1100 you better sue the guy or make him fix it because it's not right and you got screwed, did you know he was going to charge you that much up front? If you did that was pretty stupid to allow him to do it, all you did is get ripped off. If a mechanic doesn't want to work on something them they will give you an extremely high quote in the hopes that you go some where else, but if you bit then your not too smart concidering a carb kit cost $40.00 or less and even if you bought everything to replace on the carb you still have less than 100 bucks in parts.

Bottom line your motor is smoked and has to be re-built to fix your problems. I've done this a long time and I told you not too dick with the carb, but did you listen, doesn't sound like it, and it doesn't sound like you believe the only way to fix your problem of low oil pressure is to re-build or re-place the motor. So waiste some more money and by the time yopu figure out I was right and you add up the money you have spent you could have had the motor re-built and been skiing. It sounds like you have spent 1100.00 already and thats have of the price of a short block. So hope you get it figured out because you obviously don't want to listen to us.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Odds are it's not 20w50 oil and odds are the mechanic's a dumb ass, and for $1100 you better sue the guy or make him fix it because it's not right and you got screwed, did you know he was going to charge you that much up front? If you did that was pretty stupid to allow him to do it, all you did is get ripped off. If a mechanic doesn't want to work on something them they will give you an extremely high quote in the hopes that you go some where else, but if you bit then your not too smart concidering a carb kit cost $40.00 or less and even if you bought everything to replace on the carb you still have less than 100 bucks in parts.

Bottom line your motor is smoked and has to be re-built to fix your problems. I've done this a long time and I told you not too dick with the carb, but did you listen, doesn't sound like it, and it doesn't sound like you believe the only way to fix your problem of low oil pressure is to re-build or re-place the motor. So waiste some more money and by the time yopu figure out I was right and you add up the money you have spent you could have had the motor re-built and been skiing. It sounds like you have spent 1100.00 already and thats have of the price of a short block. So hope you get it figured out because you obviously don't want to listen to us.

easy tiger. re-read my post. I don't know where you came up with 1100. but anyways I still spent too much.

I gave this mechanic 1 shot and it didn't work. Now I need someone who can fix it.

he did rebuild the carb and also installed a new tach for $600 CAD - we have 14% tax, either way its too much and the problems are still there.

I don't need you ramming my stupidity down my throat. but for someone on the internet to tell me i need to rebuild my motor without even looking at it is pre-mature IMO. Not saying you're wrong, but the problems are bigger than just low oil pressure. Not to mention the oil pressure was fine until a few engine hours ago.

I would love to just pull the motor, sell it for scraps and throw a new one in. but I don't have 8 grand to put into a boat worth 15. Even if I threw a new block in it would still have idle problems.

back to my last question: anyone know a good mechanic in ontario or what to look for in one?
thx

EDIT it was $600 total $200 in parts $400 in labor I just relooked at my reciept. $75/ shop hr. 14% tax. not a rip off but not a deal. The mechanic has worked on all kinds of my stuff, but he mainly does outboards and snowmobiles. I've never had a problem with him, but he obviously doesn't know how to work on this boat. i need someone who can!!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 1:39pm
all your doing is avoiding the root cause of all of your problems. And I can tell what's wrong from your description and I've told you several times dicking with the idle is not going to fix an oil pressure problem.

HERE IS A LIST OF THINGS THAT CAN CAUSE LOW OIL PRESSURE.

1. THE ENGINE BEARINGS ARE SHOT

2. THE OIL PUMP IS SHOT OR BROKE

3.   YOU HAVE A BAD SENDING UNIT AND/OR GUAGE.

Two of the three require the engine to be pulled. One requires the sending unit to be removed and mechanical gauge installed in it's place to check actual pressure.

SSSSOOOO do what the hell you want and keep pissing on your self, I've told you for over a week that dicking with the idle is a waiste of time and that if you change the oil and use heavier weight oil that will limp you through to the end of the season, but BOTTOM LINE YOUR MOTOR IS JUNK AND NEEDS REPLACED END OF STORY PLAN AND SIMPLE NO WAY AROUND IT IT'S SMOKED AND NEEDS REPLACED.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Kylecraft Kylecraft wrote:

<snip>

2. he took the boat out himself and adjusted it in the water. He said it ran great until about 20minutes, which is approximately the time it takes to warm up completely. He said he adjusted it but how well I don't know. <snip>

Kyle

Ok, something in the qoute above got me thinking outside the box. Could the problems be electrical related? Mech said boat ran great for 20 minutes, then everything went to hell. Maybe something or a connection in the electrical system is getting hot due to a poor connection and screwing with the ignition system and oil pressure gauge. So, check all the electrical connections at the gauges and the engine. Especially pay attention to the engine/boat wire harness connector (black rubber).

Now, I tend to agree with 79Nautique that bad bearings are the mostly likely cause of actual low oil pressure. However, such a result is usually slow and does not just happen over several engine hours of operation. I guess what I am saying is that something less obvious might be happening...like electrical.

Definately make certain that you have 20w50 in the engine then do not worry about the oil pressure any more...nothing more you can do. Then you must get it running correctly all the time. If it continues to run poor after 20 minutes from cold, something else is going on other than the condition of the engine. Find that problem, then maybe the oil pressure gauge will read correctly and your problems will be gone. I do like the idea of using a manual oil pressure gauge for peace of mind.

Good luck and do not give up. The Ford/PCM 351 engine is about as simple as you can get. Electrical and fuel are usually what gives people headaches due to the harsh marine environment. So look toward electrical.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 10:21am
the first thing that needs done is pulling the sending unit and replacing it with a mechanical gauge and find out what the actual pressure is to determind if the pressure is sufficent for normal operation. If the pressure is low then it doesn't matter what you do to anything else because it's still not going to run right. Doing anything other than verifing oil pressure is a waiste of time and money, and there is already a bunch of money that has been waisted.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 10:46am
thanks for the responses guys.

I'm not a mechanic, but not an idiot either. I've had crank bearings go in my 2strokes before and you notice it over time; slowly. My oil pressure issue is new (2-4 engine hrs) which is why I'm hesitant to throw in the towel just yet, but I know a rebuild is in this motor's future. Its just hard for me to believe that it happened this fast.

I will throw a mechanical guage on the oil sender, or would a new sender do the same thing?

Could heat be getting to the sender and causing it to loose its strenght? I don't notice any rattling or grinding which is why I'm hesitant to pull the motor just yet, but as stated I need someone who knows WTF they're doing to look at it, and more importantly with the right tools. I don't have a pressure guage or other auto tools so its tough for me to find the problems.

The mech that did the carb suggested that maybe the idle issue was being caused by the fuel line leaking air; he suggested a new float bowl on the carb. I have had gas drip from where the line comes in and I just give the bolts a 1/8 turn and it stops.

thanks guys
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 11:18am
do you have an auto parts store close to you? they sell mechanical gauges pretty cheap and the only ones I see that don't know WTF they are doing is your mechnanic and the dumb ass paying rediculus prices for him to do it and still not fix it.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 11:39am
Don't just change the sending unit. The only way to find the real pressure is to use a mechanical gauge. I'm not sure what they cost (maybe around $30). You may be able to borrow or rent one from an auto parts store or shop. Go out in the boat; let it warm up. Unscrew the sending unit and screw in the gauge. Turn off the engine to do this of course. It's pretty easy.
I really think you have two separate problems here. I recommend working on one then the other.
RE: the idle. Any chance you have an exhaust leak? Does the idle improve with the cover open?
By the way, isn't there some 60-something year old guy in your neigborhood or your parent's neiborhood or somewhere that used to work on is own car? Strike up a conversation with him and if it seems like he knows his stuff, tell him what you got going on and ask him if he'd be able to go out on the boat with you and take a look. It would make his day and you'd learn a lot. Just check with us before you start installing a bunch of automotive parts.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2006 at 12:52am
I'll get a gauge then and bypass all the electrical.

The boat isn't in a very populated area. I live in Canada and you'd be impressed with how "wilderness" this is but still in civilization. If you walk north from the edge of the lake you will not come accross a handful of people until you hit james bay. So there aren't a lot of people around to help out or a lot of qualified inboard marine mechanics. I'll post a map later to show you where I am...

I'm not going to install auto parts, I usually get my stuff from DIM and they've always been very helpful. Problem with working with a marina is they want to sell you parts... so I have to find a private garage or mobile mechanic (which I have a line on). I've contacted a bunch on local marinas and told them my situation and they haven't gotten back to me; which I appreciate because I don't want them to dick around like the other 2 have and it cost me a small fortune.

btw I don't think its an exhaust leak the idle doesn't change with the hood down, but I haven't run it for long with it up so I'll pull it right off when I take it out and throw the gauge on.

the mech that did the carb rebuild mentioned it could be a leak from the intake to the front end of the carb and a new front bowl may fix it ?

thanks again guys. I will keep my fingers crossed about the pressure and go from there once I check it manually.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 7:05pm
Any updates?
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 9:39pm
not at this point, but I did find a good marina(I truly believe) he bought it in 1968 when he was 18 and his whole family runs it. Their primary expertise is in the shop not new boats sales...

I should know more in the next few days. They had 700 work orders when I took it in but they were going to rush it as it was a referal from a freind and a good customer of theirs.

they have a full machine shop so anything can be done on site which is good also.

btw his last name is holley so I hope they can tuen this carb!!!!
I will update when I hear from them
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2006 at 2:13pm
So... turns out the oil pressure is fine (whew!) just bad electrical like many mentioned. compression is good with no bad holes. carb was not set up right ever so they've adjusted the throttle, mixture screws and idle speed correctly. They are waiting on a new distributor as they believe the old one was the root of the problem. Nothing wrong with the timing, but due to moisture and heat it would throw off the timing after running for a while. so a whole new distributor is going in and I should have it this weekend to test.

If all goes well and it runs properly I am selling it. I haven't had it out more than 10hrs and I'm just sick of this boat and if anything ever goes wrong with it again I may start at it with an axe. Its worth more to someone else than me right now. If you don't mind coming to the Toronto, ON area let me know this boat is for sale pending a water test (even if the test is not good I will fix it to sell it).
thanks for all your help,
Kyle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic