NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft slipping Out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2006 at 8:07am
rotate the prop and look for a heavy drag spot while it's out of the water to verify that everthing is aligned properly.

You should be able to spin the prop and have a consistent drag for 360 degress, if there is a heavy or litle spot where the ressistant changes as you rotate it then you need to fine tune the alignment a little.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2006 at 9:06am
Thanks 79, I checked that out, the prop does 360 in both directions with consistent drag. With this new shaft I can just feel the boat running smooth as butter.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2006 at 11:36am
Binding at one location means the shaft-to-coupler misalignment (or a bent shaft) is additive to the coupler-to-coupler (engine angle) misalignment. 180 degrees away they are subtractive.

Since you have a fresh double taper shaft, you can count of the shaft and it coupler being square, so all that can result is the shaft being hard to turn no matter its location in the revolution due to coupler-to-coupler alignement (engine angular alignment)

79 and I are saying its best to check your engine aligment now with fresh parts so you don't fatigue anything.

The shaft should be as easy to turn with the coupler bolts loose, as they are when they are torqued. Anything else is unacceptable.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2006 at 11:57am
Thanks Gotta,
All that checks out, the shaft turns without binding with the coupler bolted up and with the coupler free. I checked the strut bearing and cannot see any discernable wear.
I really like this Double Taper system. Like I said the old girl really is runnning smooth with it and there is no wobble or vibration at all through the packing nut into the shaft log. Now, now worries about powering off of trailer

Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic