NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Skimming and Footing through Weirs Channel

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 10:10pm
I believe that they turned themselves in. Was only a matter of time anyway. They interviewed the colonel from NH Fish and Game on the news this morning. He was not happy lol
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 10:41pm
Would love to see the colonels interview. Seems they caused no damage nor hurt anyone, Seems like they had it under control- no harm no foul. Anyone got a link to the go fund me page?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

. Anyone got a link to the go fund me page?

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Here's a link to their go fund me page

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 11:30pm
Sounds like they won't have such a tough deal because they are being cooperative.

article and interview
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 8:32am
Big balls footing out in the ice water. Too cold for me. I think I will wait until it warms up. Great stunt though. I like it.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 9:36am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Sounds like they won't have such a tough deal because they are being cooperative.

article and interview

Arrested? Charged with disorderly conduct? Wow. Fun police!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 9:53am
Ken, thanks for posting the fund link, I threw a few bucks in the pot for those guys, saw Waterkier Seth Stisher and a senator amongst the donors, great stuff!!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 10:20am
Here's an interview with the skier interview
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 3:39pm
The money they are raising is certainly sending a message and it's a message I fully agree with.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 4:11pm
That was great, Thanks for sharing. Did not hear about this in the West.
Anyone that has ever hit a piece of wood while barefooting had to cringe looking at the ice chunks floating nearby.   I am amazed the Snowmobile has the power to pull a barefooter 40 mph on water. That is really cool.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Did not hear about this in the West.
I am amazed the Snowmobile has the power to pull a barefooter 40 mph on water. That is really cool.

Two problems living in the west! Yes, the snowmobiles do have plenty of power. Right out of the box many can reach speeds of 170 on land!! We actually have skimming competition here in the Midwest. With a deep lug track, it's pretty amazing how far they can go. Also, I don't remember the record for time skimming but I believe it was hours when the fuel ran out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 4:42pm
Deep lug helps, but pretty much any snowmobile can skim. Most you can launch less then 10 feet from the water and then will reach speeds (on the water) in excessive of 100mph. There is a lot of surface area on a snowmobile track so they move on the water pretty well, The pulling a skier part is a little tricky, you would never be able to do a water start, but starting on ice and then moving out on to the water as they did would be a piece of cake. Somewhere there is a video of Levi Lavalle (Snow cross guy) pulling I think KSO (Barefoot guy), KSO does a deep off the grass, pretty impressive.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 5:58pm
It's more fun when you take the whole family along

170 huh Pete, must have some pretty fast boxes in the midwest

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 6:55pm
I've water skipped my Skidoo on Medicine Lake behind the volcano Mt Shasta. Out here it's all high elevation so they are not as fast mine only did 90mph at 10,000' ...The hillclimbs in California are insane.

This skimming or skipping or whatever stunt was well thought-out and executed. awesome job.
This is the life
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Here's an interview with the skier interview

Okay, now this bandito crossed the line into stupid. I could list the winter fatalities over the years in and around the Weirs Channel, including some guy who died skimming with his son watching (which prompted the law) and a rescue diver practicing to be able to save skimmers. F&G has a job to do, They get stuck dragging bodies out of the Lake and off frozen mountains. No need to thumb them in the eye by taking a victory lap with the Boston new media. The skier needs to move on to the next item on his bucket list.
Jim
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 7:36pm
The judge probably found out about the gofundme and decided to raise a little more cash. It's a vicious circle when you publicize your beer holding feats. No harm no foul let it go is hard for those DNR folks. I think the whole thing is absolutely awesome, and when people want to take risks on their own, and nobody else gets hurt, and there's folks like us that get entertained, it's all good.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 8:30pm
I can pretty much guarantee it isn't the first time these guys have done something like this. Maybe the first time in the winter, but they've done it somewhere before at least in the summer. That's not something you try on a whim and my guess is that the sled was set up for water. If you take the time to set the sled up correctly its not hard to skim, but there's no way a rookie is towing a skier, never mind a barefooter. It has probably been done by these guys at the grass drags or some other watercross event before.

The Fish and Game guys have had a rough few weeks. They hauled 3 bodies out if Winni, one of them being a 15 year old boy, they had 3 medivac accidents up north last week involving inexperienced operators riding over their head (2 were women with children on the back) and last weekend they rescued 17 snowmobilers in 2 separate incidents off of Stub Hill in Pittsburg who got stuck backcountry riding and had to call 911.. Both groups had 12-13 year old kids with them. And that's just NH. Its been a rough year in New England with 5 or so fatalities in Vermont, several in NH and 7 in Maine. Pretty sure those guys have had it with snowmobilers doing stupid ***************.

I personally don't have a problem with it, but I can see where they're coming from. At some point, some inexperienced idiot will try to one up them and it will end badly. As cool as it was, it's still against the law.

FWIW, all of the adults in the parties of snowmobilers who were rescued out at Stub Hill Pond were also charged and fined, because riding off of the unmarked trail in NH is illegal if you don't have written permission from the landowner. The law is the law, sometimes stupid, but still the law. Snowmobile skimming is illegal in Maine as well, even in the summer. Ask me how I know

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 9:40pm
That was a great post Mikey, only because I read it hearing your crazy accent, lmao!!

I only skim naked!!
joshjanae View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjanae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 11:55pm
Here is a great video from a 10 year old Warren Miller film demonstrating the power of a skimming snowmobile while pulling a barefooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNgVvw2oTFk

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 12:22am
Wow Heeney made it on a Warren Miller film ... That's all private property Brian's private lake in Montana.
This is the life
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2017 at 11:42am
Hah, got a thank you email from the guys via the gofundme site, said:

"Thank you!! We've had a Correct Craft our whole lives, ski and barefoot behind Nautiques - doesn't get any better"

Not sure how serious the charges actually are but perhaps they should use the funds towards an attorney to get any charges dropped altogether or something along those lines. Heck, if I was an attorney I would take their case pro bono!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic