Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Would I be crazy?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jtownes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtownes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would I be crazy?
    Posted: March-04-2017 at 7:39pm
Hi. I am new to this site and the whole idea of owning a classic inboard. I have been doing some reading and looking at boats and saw this listing:

https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/boa/6015457251.html

I saw on some other thread the statement a boat like this would always have some amount of rot. Would I be fooling myself getting into something like this? If I went and poked around and it appeard the stringers and floor were solid, is there a chance that could be true? Some of the restoration threads are very intimidating so I am really, looking for some reality check.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 8:20pm
If it is close to you, it would be worth checking out. Some owners were careful with keeping the bilge dry.

There is a hammer tap test you can do to evaluate stringer health.

Eventually the stringers will need replacement, but you might get many years with them as is.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 8:27pm
Well that boat has some issues that would have to be corrected before you even use it ,replace the automotive fuel pump,find out why it has an electric low pressure pump on it also,check to see if it's a marine carburetor and some fuel line work,where is the carburetor flame arrestor? . Front seats have been replaced with your standard bass boat seats,why? It is better to buy the best boat you can because fixing something up can be a bottomless pit. How are your mechanical skills? Not many shops who will work on them. What are your plans to do with the boat,16 footers are small.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jtownes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtownes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 8:45pm
Engine and electrical are no problem for me. No way I would have it in me to replace stringers. Size may be an issue. It would be used at lake near our families' retreat just to ski and tool around. We're close to the coast here. Corrosion is an issue.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 8:56pm
After seeing the pictures and noting that plenty of back yard work has been done, I sure would be concerned what else is lurking and hidden! As Gary mentioned, whoever worked on the fuel system has absolutely no idea of what it takes for a marine engine. Yes, why the bass boat seats?? Personally, I'd keep looking.

Here's a direct link to the Tique

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jtownes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtownes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 9:00pm
I hear you on the most boat you can afford. It's just that an $8k cream puff will have rot too - if your a newbie like me reading some of these threads
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 9:14pm
Yes, "you would be crazy" IMO. As Pete said, a lot of backyard hack work has been done on that boat. I'd keep looking...
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
jtownes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtownes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 9:18pm
Not sure how to insert direct link. But here's another in my region but in central Texas.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/boa/6019945479.html

It looks risky too
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 9:54pm
Here's another direct link to the SN you found.
You haven't mentioned what you plan on using the boat for. Fill us in.

For direct links, use the "post reply" and not the "quick" that's at the bottom of each thread. Click on the world icon, type in your title, OK, paste the url. and then OK.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 10:07pm
Townes,
Chris mentioned the tap test on stringers. Here's Tim's video on the method to listen for disbonding indicating problems like rotted wood.

BTW, it may be a good idea to start another thread say in the general discussion section. This New section is for "What's new at CorrectCraftFan.com" and some like myself don't visit it much. The General section may get more views and consequently more input.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 10:08pm
"tandem inner tubes" ....a deal clincher right there

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

"tandem inner tubes" ....a deal clincher right there

john

If Townes gets back to us with his intended use of the boat he's looking for, I sure hope the "T" word doesn't come up!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jtownes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtownes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2017 at 2:28am
Well, I posted in "new" because I figured that's where I should put my first post. I wanted to make sure I didn't overstep anything because if I do buy into one of these things I know I will really need you guys

As for what I would do with it. We have a family house in central Texas where the family comes together and we use the boat to pass time and have fun skiing tubing wakeboard and just hanging out. My kids are grown and spread all over and I like how the boat is a good reason for use to come back and be together. Plus I think the old inboards are cool and just kind of want one
jtownes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtownes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2017 at 2:43am
I live on the Texas gulf coast with the salt and the wind and the beach. That's all great. But it don't beat the calm lake at sunset.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2017 at 7:08am
Originally posted by jtownes jtownes wrote:

Well, We have a family house in central Texas where the family comes together and we use the boat to pass time and have fun tubing

Get the kids

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic