Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plumbing Question - Copper to CPVC

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plumbing Question - Copper to CPVC
    Posted: March-26-2017 at 11:26am
Remodeling my bathroom shower and the brass shower diverter I bought requires a soldered joint so I was going to go with copper into the diverter then switch to cpvc (which is in the rest of my house). It has been a long time since I have soldered a pipe and was considering using the sharkbites for the connection from copper to cpvc. Reading up on sharkbites some people do not recommend them for long term use. Was wondering if anyone has any positive or negative thoughts on properly installed sharkbites for long term use.

Thanks
Tom
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2017 at 12:14pm
TOM,
Toss the Sharkbites in the trash unless you want to joint the rest of the back yard hacks! Seriously, they rely on a rubber O ring for sealing the joint. You do not want to bury it in a wall where if and when it fails you can't get to it easily. Use a copper threaded adaptor to a threaded CPVC adaptor.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2017 at 1:18pm
I've used some sharkbites over the past couple of years, but they are in exposed basement areas so very easy to see if they begin to leak, very easy to replace if so. I have some of the same doubts as Pete has, though a plumber friend of mine says they have a very long life. I can't imagine an o-ring lasting indefinitely, and a soldered joint lasts indefinitely. I didn't even trust PEX connectors for a long time, though have come around.

Grab a few copper couplings or elbows, grab a spare stub of pipe, and practice soldering, it's only a couple of bucks in parts. It will come back to you and you'll have a permanent fix.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2017 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

. I didn't even trust PEX connectors for a long time, though have come around..

David,
I thought the exact same way!! My plumber used the expander on his pex and when I roughed in my Infloor, I used the barb fittings and crimp clamps on the pex. Both sure work but I feel more confident with the crimp clamps. I had my HVAC guy finish off the boiler, valving, primary loop and indirect DHW and he pretty much used Pro Press fittings. Still an O ring but accessible. I'm impressed with them!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2017 at 8:02pm
there are only two shark bites in my kit.They are both temp caps. throw all others in the trash. I use my Propress for everything now sometimes a little bit of pex and wirsbo other than that i just solder and propress. CPVC is a rarity here. The copper male to female ips cpvc fittings are sometimes an issue with the expansion rates differing. if you want to do a shower valve most require either female adapters or the top 3 as in symmonds tub shower valves the top 3 are copper female fittings and the tub is 1/2" ips. if you want to try it clean everything well . flux lightly both surfaces. use silver brite or another 95/5 solder. use only l rated copper. heat slowly the opposite side of where you hold the solder when it reaches the melting point push it a little bit remove the heat and it will flow right around the joint.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic