NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vinegar Flush Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 12:28pm
Dave,

Here is the list you really need to follow:
Read the thread and follow the recommendations BEFORE YOU ORDER ANYTHING!!!

LiquidObsession View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 10:43am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Dave,

Here is the list you really need to follow:
Read the thread and follow the recommendations BEFORE YOU ORDER ANYTHING!!!

I'm not seeing a link
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2017 at 12:24am
missing link?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 11:50am
Quick update: my mechanic and I decided to start at the exhaust and work forward. Pulled every part and inspected parts & hoses. Not ONE indication of any blockage anywhere. Baffling! One of the riser bolts snapped flush with the manifold due to high corrosion so we're waiting until Monday to fix that little hiccup. Replaced circ pump just in case since we were already doing a deep dive into the cooling system. We'll finish our hunt when the manifold issue is fixed and we can start her up.. More to come.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 2:04pm
Good to hear back

Do you think you could take a picture of the internals of the original circulating pump if you still have it?

Only a handful of little bolts to take the plate off the back of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 4:48pm
Mechanic took a photo for me. I emailed it to you as this site isn't allowing me to upload from my phone.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 5:57pm

Here it is, looking OK from this view, you'd probably destroy it trying to get the impeller off the shaft.

Looks a lot better than the 2 piece one in an earlier photo

I seem to be able to see the end of every impeller blade in the photo

Looks like a good spare if nothing else.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 8:48pm
Thanks for posting the photo Keno!
So no magic bullet huh? Bummer. Kinda hoping I'd hear "well THERES yer problem!".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 12:06pm
UPDATE and TEMP GUAGE HELP

Result: NO SMOKING GUN!

On the up side my cooling system looks great... down side, we couldn't find any obstructions or bad parts at all that would cause overheating. Since we were already doing a deep dive I replaced the circ pump, thermostat and impeller just in case.

WHAT WE DID FIND:
While testing the temperature sending unit he told me it was working normal but that my gauge was giving bad readings.

His test notes:
----------------
"Ran boat @ idle for 10min"
Actual        Gauge   
119               150
151               180
154               200       Stabilized, sending unit is 128.6 ohms
140 deg should be 121-147 ohms, this looks like a bad dash gauge.
----------------

Ohms and such are out of my wheelhouse so any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated as always.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2017 at 11:10am
Anyone?... Bueller?... Bueller?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2017 at 12:05pm
It's his day off today

Maybe you unknowingly fixed the problem somewhere along the way or at least I hope you did since normal temps don't melt exhaust hoses etc. like what happened to you in the beginning..

I'd use an infra red gun and check temps or get a capillary tube type temp gauge and temporarily put it in place of your electrical sending unit and see what you have for readings.

Sounds like right now all you can do is run it and check temperature.

I think Bueller is getting ready to take the Ferrari for a ride right about now.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2017 at 12:17pm
If you've proven out that your gauge is wrong and are going to replace it, and you've proven out and replaced potential problem parts, here's what I'd do next. Run it on the trailer with a "timmy T" feeding it water. Don't use other methods, the beauty of the T is that the engine takes the water it needs, and can pull, without anything pressurizing the water feed. That way you are as close to being in the lake as you can get. Run it to verify good water flow out the exhaust, more as you move the rpm up to maybe 1,500 or so. Run it for a good long time at 1,000 rpm and see if any spots on the engine or manifolds get too hot. If you have proper water flow coming out the exhaust and no hot spots on the manifolds then I don't have a clue what problem remains.

There of course is no way to put a load on the engine so there's only so much heat it can generate. But if you had a melting hose problem I'd think you'd find a hot spot like that even running on the trailer. Good luck Ferris.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 12:07pm
Ok guys test results are in... drum roll...

Purring like a kitten on catnip!

She ran better and cooler than she has since I bought her. Took her out to Bullards Bar yesterday and checked temps using my IR gun. Temp was extremely stable at 150deg all day.

Did I fix the problem end of last season not knowing it because my faulty gauge told me otherwise? Or did replacing the circ pump, manifold and exhaust hose clear things up?

Unfortunately looks like I'm never going to know for sure what exactly caused her to overheat.

Now to have my gauge repaired.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 12:22pm
Obviously the fix was as a result of something your wife suggested

Just tell her that and keep her happy.

If you're not melting hoses, you fixed something somewhere along the way.

Good job

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2017 at 12:35pm
Best advice received thus far!!! 👍🏻
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic