Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bargain Super Sport: A quest to join team red.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 1:27pm
Donald,

Thanks for the input. I am aware of the cause of the issue. I just don't have an exact solution yet.

I do want to upgrade my AMP wiring as I use the 10 Gage wires that were there but I want to upgrade to 4 Gage. for the amp. When I do this I'll run the power and ground wires for the stereo off these and I'll probably use a relay on the acc wire so I can still wire this through the dash.

Any suggestions on how to split the 4 Gage amp wire from the battery to the head unit?
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

Any suggestions on how to split the 4 Gage amp wire from the battery to the head unit?

I used a different brand but this works well.

splitter
92 Sport nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2017 at 10:18pm
Chris is right. I have three amps (Sub, Tower, in boat) and I used a four position distribution block by Wet Sounds that had one 1./0 inlet and four 4 gage outlets. Three of the four gage outlets went to each amp. I then used a very short piece of 4 gage wire for the fourth hole with an electrical connector on the end. I then attached my red power wire via another connector (Connector to Connector). I did the same for the grounds. So I purchased two Wet Sound Four position distribution blocks that have fuses in each position . I sized the fuses to match the amp or the head unit and zone controller. I am sure there are other creative ways to skin the cat.

You may want to go with more positions than you need now for future expansion. If you want to add more amps in the future you will be able to easily expand. There are a lot of different makers of these.

A great web-site for supplies is KnuKonceptz .com. I used their wire for speakers and power and ground.

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2017 at 10:22am
Thanks guys.

I use KnuKonceptz for all my stereo stuff.

I have used the distro boxes before for down gaging but what I am looking for is something that would be better to run the stereo power wire from. Meaning I'll have an input of 4 Gage and an output of 4 Gage and 16 Gage. The 16 Gage would run to the Head Unit to power it.

How are you wiring the power for the HU?

Can I just run a wire from the amp power connecter to the head unit. Basically tap into the amp wire?

96 Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2017 at 1:18pm
I used Buss Bars under the dash. I ended up with three of them. One of them is for all of the ground / negative leads and the second was the Red / Positive leads and the third was for the signal wires (Amp on and off together). If you look at the photo below, you will see a black Wet Sound signal wire that hangs down.

This black cable has the positive, negative and the blue signal wire all in one. That wire goes over to the two distribution block and the blue wire to the amps.

This is an early photo and one of the jumpers at the blue and red fuse has not yet been removed. You can see that on the negative or ground distribution block you can see that all of the jumpers are installed for ground.

I installed all three amps on the wall of the boat to keep my storage space.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Thanks,

Donald
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2017 at 2:42pm
Donald,

This is very helpful, Nice setup.

How did you attach the amps to the side wall?
96 Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2017 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

Donald,

How did you attach the amps to the side wall?

I driller 12 holes through the side of the boat. I then covered the outside of the holes with male snaps. The holes are covered but it just looks like a screwed up cover job.

Donald
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2017 at 3:59pm
Their is a company out west titled The Flight Shop and they make standoffs and such for aircraft. I ordered several sizes of Standoff's for this project. I used card board templates to determine where to put the standoffs so I would have somewhere to mount to. You remove small patches of carpet and sand the inside of the boat. Then you glue the standoff with crazy strong aircraft epoxy. The plastic squares you see are temporary. They have double stick tape on the feet to hold them in place while the epoxy dries. Then you pull of the square triangle like support and you are left with a threaded screw sticking out to mount the amp and distribution blocks too. No holes were drilled in the boat side.

I next cut some black ABS plastic slightly larger than the amp to cover the four carpet squares under the amp. I then placed the Amp on top of the standoffs.
The only thing I would do different if I was to do this again is use wooden patterns instead of cardboard. The holes became disfigured. Wood would be heavy, but the holes would stand up better on my pattern.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2017 at 4:02pm
Everything is hidden behind the Observer Seat and the side Combing Pads. I still maintained my storage under the seat. There is room to tune each amp.

Works like a champ.
smithra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2017 at 2:03pm
I just joined the forum. Congrat's on the purchase...Great price! I purchased the same boat last year at Deep Creel Marina in Maryland. I am a newbie to the boat world but our family loves the boat and my 14 year old son is just starting to try wake boarding.

I hope to keep in touch and hopefully we can share any relevant experiences. I have included a few lame pictures of the boat. All the best.

1996 Super Sport Deep Creek MD
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2017 at 2:53pm
Boat looks great. I like the clean black and grey.

I'd advise getting a tower. They are great additions to these boats. New Dimensions.
96 Super Sport
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2017 at 9:05pm
Definitely go for the tower. One of the few 90's boats that looks better with a tower in my opinion. If you can find a Sante 220 tower circa 2005 you may like the style as I do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic