Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

11a rudder and rudder port

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
clint351mx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clint351mx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 11a rudder and rudder port
    Posted: April-11-2017 at 1:22pm
Im in need of a 11a rudder and port box. I purchased a 1980 18ft sn and the rudder is super hard to turn by hand, disassembled and is majorly bent. If you ha e one please pm me.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 1:25pm
Clint,
Chances are high that it's just the rudder shaft that's bent so you may not need the rudder port. BTW, rudder shafts have been straightened. The fit between the port and rudder shaft is not that precise.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clint351mx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 3:20pm
The actual rudder part itself is bent a good bit as well, the shaft is bent backwards so when not inserted fully its fine, but as soon as i push it all the way in it has to be man handled to move at all. And there is visible wear on the shaft where it has been rubbing the interior of the rudder port. I havent even gotten to take the boat out yet, this was all done by previous owner. Im just trying to get it safe before i take it out. Just had the stringers and floors redone. Boat only has 85 hrs, but sat uncovered under a leaking barn. Im guessing it was put there after the rudder incident happend. The motor was replaced at 75 hours by previous owner who didnt winterize and cracked the block due to freezing. So the motor only has a handful of hours....only reason i couldnt pass up the deal. If anybody could help me put id appreciate it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 3:27pm
Clint,
What does the visible wear measure compared the unworn ID.? As mentioned, the fit can be pretty sloppy.

How about some picture of the boat? We'd love to see what you're working on.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clint351mx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 3:52pm
I will have to post pics later, but the wear is visible gouges, like deep scratches, not like it had been worn over time, but like they hit something and had to muscle it back to the dock causing some big gouges. I couldnt even turn the rudder using the steering wheel, i thought because of it sitting so long that the steering cable had gone bad, but after disconnecting the rudder, the steering wheel turns fine. I the went to remove the rudder and after removing all hardware and couplers, i figured it would just fall off.... that wasnt the case, i had to work it back and forth with a ton of lube to get it out of the rudder port. Thats when i noticed the shaft was bent.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clint351mx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 6:35pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clint351mx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 6:37pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clint351mx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 6:39pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clint351mx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 6:41pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 7:35pm
Clint,
The bent blade is an easy straightening. Seek out a prop shop or a machine shop that may be interested in straightening the rudder shaft (and blade). I feel it can be fixed. Once the shaft is straight, I'll say the port will be fine. Take the port with you so they can use it as a guide. The rudder doesn't need to be perfect.

Thanks for the pictures. What are you plans for the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by clint351mx clint351mx wrote:

Did the previous owner tell you what brand of marinization that engine is?

The engine sure looks like it is an Indmar marinized 351w going by the raw water pump being crankshaft mounted and the shape/design of the thermostat housing, alternator location and a few other small details.

The exhaust manifolds look like they are from Barr Marine

All this will lead to somebody asking that big Correct Craft question of "which way does it rotate?"

If you don't know, look at the distributor cap and working your way around it Counter Clockwise you should have either 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8 if it's normal automotive rotation or if it's reverse rotation it will be 1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3. Make sure you go counter clockwise.

Only reason I mention this is because it's looking pretty obvious that it's a newer replacement engine and manifolds and it'll be good for you to know what you have there.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 8:13pm
Just saw your post in your other thread where I could read 351 Sport Pac on the flame arrestor cover.

That means it's a Marine Power Inc. marinization.

Good engines
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 8:34pm
I wondered that too and saw the Reverse Rotation decal on the valve cover
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I wondered that too and saw the Reverse Rotation decal on the valve cover

Good eyes Gary

I saw the decal, just didn't know what it said till you pointed that out and I enlarged it and used a magnifying glass.

So Clint.... your engine rotates the Correct Craft way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clint351mx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 9:27pm
Good to know, the guy i got it from said he paid a pretty penny for it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clint351mx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 11:09am
I was able to purchase a rudder on this forum for a way better price that nautique parts wanted, i need to lnow how much of the packing material i need to buy tho?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2017 at 3:33pm
3 wraps of 3/16" will get the job done but I like having extra around.

5' for $28 at McMaster
9466K5
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic