Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Misfire at low rpm - GT40

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Misfire at low rpm - GT40
    Posted: April-11-2017 at 4:56pm
Hi all,

Got the boat back in the water last week. All good except for a misfire at low rpms. Here's the story:

- Boat winterised last year (drained then antifreezed) and was running 100% at the time
- 3/4 tank of fuel treated and engine ran for 15 mins or so
- Cylinders fogged through spark plug holes

I changed the leads two years ago along with the cap/rotor, plugs changed last year but not this year. I'm hoping that its just a fouled or cracked plug. I had a quick look at the ceramic on each plug and checked leads were on properly but couldn't see any cracks. However, I was in a hurry and didn't get much time to do any real troubleshooting or remove them for a proper look.

If not a plug or lead what else should I look at. The misfire seems to disappear at high rpm after a bit of vibration coming out of the hole. Does this sound like a vacuum leak, coil or anything else?

About 150hrs on remanufactured long block and all was well before putting it away for the winter.

Needless to say, being in Ireland I'm an ocean away form PCM parts but i'm heading down on Thursday for a closer look.

I'd appreciate y'alls thoughts before I hit the road.

D.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 5:09pm
I'd pull the plugs and see if they're oil fouled from fogging. I'd also check each plug for solid connection at the plug end. Lots of folks suffer the first start of the season with aged fuel and moisture issues and so forth
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2017 at 6:10pm
I had this problem last year. I took a IR thermometer and found a plug that was cooler. Changed it and was good to go,must have damaged it when I removed it to fog.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 7:43am
Bad plug - easy fix and back in business!

D.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 6:54pm
Just got around to updating the GT-40 Spreadsheet with this fix:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584&PID=531736
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic