Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Manifold drain

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Manifold drain
    Posted: April-14-2017 at 12:43pm
During winterization I noticed that one of my manifold drains has badly rusted threads.

The PO had put a bushing and a petcock on, but I prefer to remove the plug (bushing) and get some of the rusty bits out. So here I am, spring is here and I would like to fix this mess.

The bushing is brass and not hard enough to cut the rust, and now the 1st few threads of the bushing are flattening out.

I was thinking about chasing the threads on the manifold, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a single use tool like a 3/4" pipe thread chaser. Any ideas?
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 1:45pm

Well I should have known that I could find a cheap one online. With free shipping & Sunday Delivery too!

Amazon 3/4" x 14tpi tap
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 4:56pm
Clark,
You don't need a fancy or even new tap. You are just cleaning up existing threads and not really cutting new ones. I've had great results shopping ebay. I just got a 1&1/2" pipe tap for $6.00 and it was new!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 5:04pm
at lunch I went to the Home Depot and bought a pipe plug. No need for the petcock thingy, I only open it once a year and still need a pair of pliers to open it. So it is not tool-less now. If I like the way it all goes together, I'll go buy one for the other side.

malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2017 at 4:49pm

The inexpensive pipe thread tap did the trick. I slowly did both sides and then bought a couple $2.00, 3/4" pipe plugs from Home Depot and they threaded right in. No more petcock for me.   
3/4" pipe plug at Home Depot

Having the right tool always make work easy.

Should I consider some type of pipe dope on the threads? Something to slow down or eliminate the corrosion?

desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2017 at 5:14pm
Your link goes to a 1/2-14 tap. Isn't it a 3/4-14 for a 3/4 NPT plug?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2017 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Your link goes to a 1/2-14 tap. Isn't it a 3/4-14 for a 3/4 NPT plug?

It's a 3/4-14 just like you said
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2017 at 5:34pm
Thanks. Mine need cleaning up and I didn't want to order the wrong one.
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2017 at 5:36pm
not sure how I got the link screwed up, but yes NPT 3/4" with 14 TPI. I'll see if I can fix the link.

Link is FIXED.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2017 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by malcolm2 malcolm2 wrote:

Should I consider some type of pipe dope on the threads? Something to slow down or eliminate the corrosion?

I have always used teflon tape on all the plugs, they never leak and come off easily each fall.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 6:25pm
Clark,
Glad to hear you got the tap and chassed the threads fixing your problem but am disappointed you got rid of the stop cocks. You probably had the cheap radiator drain cocks that don't allow you to probe for sediment so it builds up at the manifold low point. I have these on all my boats, have recommended them to members who have installed them and are very happy.

They have a removable stem and are available up to 3/8" pipe size so there's plenty of room to get the crud out of the cooling passages. No threads to worry about anymore and no tools needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Clark,
Glad to hear you got the tap and chassed the threads fixing your problem but am disappointed you got rid of the stop cocks. You probably had the cheap radiator drain cocks that don't allow you to probe for sediment so it builds up at the manifold low point. I have these on all my boats, have recommended them to members who have installed them and are very happy.

They have a removable stem and are available up to 3/8" pipe size so there's plenty of room to get the crud out of the cooling passages. No threads to worry about anymore and no tools needed.

+1 Got 'em at McMaster-Carr.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 12:00am
As great as they are, they seem irrelevant on the topic of 3/4" exh manifold drains... since 3/8" is the largest offered?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 12:08am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

As great as they are, they seem irrelevant on the topic of 3/4" exh manifold drains... since 3/8" is the largest offered?

I guess you have never heard of a 3/8 x 3/4 pipe bushing!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 12:12am
Soitenly!

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 11:00am

Apparently you've never seen the size of the scale that can come out of a cast iron manifold! Sometimes you need all of that 3/4" hole to probe effectively. 3/8" ain't gonna cut it. Might not even fit with the 3" Ford or BBC risers anyways... space is tight. Sounds back yard hack to me!
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 12:54pm
Mine had nice 3/4 to 3/8 brass bushings then the petcock as pictured above, so I think they were decent quality.

But I found that even if I un thread the petcock the water flow was very slow, so I removed the big bushing and found a large amount of rusty crud. The bushing kinda acted as a dam so the material built up. That being said, I figured, $2.70 for a 3/4" pipe plug was worth it.

If anyone wants 2 3/8" petcocks, you pay the shipping and I'll send them to ya. The 3/4 bushings will be included, but the threads are boogered up a bit. I'll add a picture here if anyone wants them.

I wondered if the brass-to-steel petcock set up did that dis-similar metals thing and increased the corrosion at the opening. Anyway, I might add some steam rated pipe dope and go to the lake!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 1:07pm
Those petcocks are great for block drains but cast iron manifolds shed material the size of corn flakes and they ain't coming out of that little hole. If you're someone who skis late into the season and needs to drain after every day then they will suffice but they still need to be pulled once a year to get the crap out.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 1:12pm

Apparently you've never seen the size of the scale that can come out of a cast iron manifold! Sometimes you need all of that 3/4" hole to probe effectively. 3/8" ain't gonna cut it. Might not even fit with the 3" Ford or BBC risers anyways... space is tight. Sounds back yard hack to me!

Gotta say I agree with Tim 100% on this. Maybe if you live in a different rust free world necking it down with a bushing and using a petcock would work otherwise it's just plain "not to smart" Like you said Tim, plenty of scale to get out of there.

Edit   after seeing Alan's post above mine, good analogy to the corn flakes Alan
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 5:26pm
I just tighten the pipe plugs slightly past finger tight. They don't leak & come loose easily in the fall.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I just tighten the pipe plugs slightly past finger tight. They don't leak & come loose easily in the fall.

Me Too
mmasariu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmasariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 9:52pm
Put these on mine, along with a little copper anti-seize.
Anderson Metals Brass Pipe Fitting, Cored Hex Head Plug, 3/4" Male Pipe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006PKKVNK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QA.9ybMV0GHY0Anderson Metals Brass Pipe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006PKKVNK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QA.9ybMV0GHY0
Matt Masariu
Speedway, Indiana
1987 Dominique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2017 at 12:16am

Clark,

Thanks Pete. Damn it, I forgot about the j-tubes and only ordered 4 for the blocks. Oh well, another 8 bucks shipping. I have to agree that these baby's aren't going to pass many cornflakes. I think I'll stick to plugs in the exhaust.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic