NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM 351w Thermostat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
n7narcosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7narcosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM 351w Thermostat
    Posted: April-17-2017 at 10:30pm
Question on operating temperatures. What is a temperature to start to be concerned? I have always heard 160 is the most efficient target to hit. anything past 200 is real bad news correct?

Mines running 170-190 depending on conditions and how she's treated --- and is running with a F/W/C (Closed System). Looking on skidim their thermostat is a 170 F/W/C item that looks a lot different than the R/W/C 143/160 item.

I was thinking of picking up the 143 and running a bit cooler, but will the 143 thermostat even fit? They look like different parts all together...

As some background - The raw water to heat exchanger and risers Plumbing has all been rebuilt. New pump, impeller, all new hoses (no water or air leaks) --- as the boat is running the risers are ice cold and stay that way even with the boat at the 180-190 range...

Am I experiencing a problem or is the temperature range within a safe margin?
1989 Correct Craft Martinique CB --- 351W
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 1:06am
Think of it much like your car,many modern ones use a 195 stat and run over the boiling point due to the pressure cap. Your system is much the same,your heat exchanger is just a water to water radiator rather than a cars water to air one. Don't worry about it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
n7narcosis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7narcosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 12:57pm
Thanks for your input Gary. I guess I am just being a little OCD with it - since the temp gauge I've got maxes out at 220 (never come close to that though), at what temp/point does one start to become overly concerned?

I'm guessing I have a 170/180 thermostat in there, is it common for the temperature to sit 10-20 over the thermostats opening range?
1989 Correct Craft Martinique CB --- 351W
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic