Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 Mustang 302 cam, intake, heads questions.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 79 Mustang 302 cam, intake, heads questions.
    Posted: April-25-2017 at 4:18pm
Anybody have any recommendations for a camshaft for a 79 Mustang 302? Block is in the shop right now getting work done and while it's all apart it's kinda like, eh, why not? Stock heads, stock intake manifold.

Actually, any recommendations on an intake manifold too?

Also, does anybody have any information on what the stock combustion chamber CC is on these heads?

Thanks a ton!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by KooK KooK wrote:

Anybody have any recommendations for a camshaft for a 79 Mustang 302? Block is in the shop right now getting work done and while it's all apart it's kinda like, eh, why not? Stock heads, stock intake manifold.

Actually, any recommendations on an intake manifold too?

Also, does anybody have any information on what the stock combustion chamber CC is on these heads?

Thanks a ton!

Since your engine is apart, you should be able to read the casting numbers easily on the heads, then you'll know what your heads are and you can look them up and then you'll know.everything you're wondering about

Just as an example they might be D7OE-A or D5TE-EB or some other combination of letters and numbers like that. Since they're from the 70's the first letter should be a D
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 6:52pm
How much do you want to spend?? That will answer most of the questions.
I just went thru all of what you are talking about.
Lots of choices.    Duane
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 7:37pm
Keno, I well check that out and google it, thanks for the help!

Duane, since the intake is easy to change out, I have no issue with buying one later. The heads I know are out of my budget at the moment with the rebuild that I'm currently undergoing, which leaves me with a cam. I see they typically range from $100-150, although I'm not sure if it's something I should look at with a stock intake and stock heads, but it wouldn't bother me spending just the money on a cam. Unless we're talking a $600 grind, in which case it's out of my price range. :)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 7:59pm
Where you finding a reverse cam for 100-150 ?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by KooK KooK wrote:

Keno, I well check that out and google it, thanks for the help!

Duane, since the intake is easy to change out, I have no issue with buying one later. The heads I know are out of my budget at the moment with the rebuild that I'm currently undergoing, which leaves me with a cam. I see they typically range from $100-150, although I'm not sure if it's something I should look at with a stock intake and stock heads, but it wouldn't bother me spending just the money on a cam. Unless we're talking a $600 grind, in which case it's out of my price range. :)

Put it back stock. Cams are around $250. Then lifters. The intake and carb can come later. You are looking at over $2K to do it halfway right.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Aaron,
Fill us in as many would love to get their hands on a RR cam for that price.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Aaron,
Fill us in as many would love to get their hands on a RR cam for that price.

Here's kind of the interesting thing about it,

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CC&Category_Code=SBHFTCMRINE

I'd call them up before I'd ever throw an order in for anything to verify that it's reverse rotation. But truthfully I'm not sure it would work at this point because I'm not positive it's reverse rotation. They just say SBF Marine applications.

Yeah, I'll probably just end up throwing it back together with all the stock parts for now. I was looking at redoing the interior, some electrical, among other things and was going to run the engine as it sat this season. The most important thing to me at the moment is that the bottom end is done right because the rest of this stuff I can do without pulling the enigne.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 11:20pm
If you go back to the page you linked to and then go to specifications and look at the gears they sell for that cam you'll figure out that they're NORMAL rotation

Here's a link to the gears

gears

so...............you're outta luck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic