Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Timing question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BoardsOnTheWater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoardsOnTheWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing question
    Posted: April-25-2017 at 7:36pm
I have a 94 Sport Nautique with the Ford 351 and a PCM PROTEC ignition and throttle body fuel injection. The PROTEC has started to give me a lot of angst of late primarily with wanting to come up in a mode with a very high idle that never comes down. Then randomly on a different day it will act just fine, idling and running normally.

I have checked wiring and such, but my suspicion is I will have to finally do the conversion back to carbureted with electronic spark. I am pretty comfortable in doing this with one big question, timing. About ten years ago the balancing ring broke and fell off the motor and I think the timing marks were on that as I cannot seem to find any other marks on the flywheel to go by.

Any good ideas about this? Is there a replacement ring I can get? Some other way of putting timing marks?

Thanks to all.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2017 at 8:39pm
The timing marks are on the harmonic balancer on the front of the engine. If that's what broke off you will need to replace it in order to accurately set the engine timing.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 11:43am
So do i read this correct you have been running 10 years with a compromised harmonic balancer?

If so, best begin by replacing the balancer
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 2:11pm
I was just thinking the same thing. That is one way to get a cracked crankshaft. I would replace the harmonic balancer ASAP.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 4:03pm
Fantastic way to prematurely wear main bearings and timing sets too.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 4:08pm
Bet chicks dug rides in his boat, the SS Spin Cycle
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2017 at 10:53am
As long as the TBI ithrottle plate is closing fully, this doesn't yet sound like the typical protec failure modes.

Verify the throttle linkage is adjusted so it applies positive pressure to close the throttle against its stop.

Alternatively, perhaps something is causing the protec to go to full advance, or stuck at a higher advance. I'm not privy how the protec advances, if its entirely electronic or if there still a mechanical component to it.
That would raise the idle similarly.

I suspect the bulk of the 50oz corrective unbalance is cast into the core of the balancer that remains, then the ring is fine tuned, you can see some drilling on the inside edge that faces the engine.

But as been said, reinforced and reiterated, replace the fractured balancer, its not there just to look sexy, it suppresses harmonics that lead to catastrophic crankshaft failure.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic