NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hardwood Floor install Experience?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hardwood Floor install Experience?
    Posted: May-10-2017 at 3:19pm
So when we bought our project house a couple of years ago, there were lots of things to fix and replace, clean up, maintain, etc...   One of those things is hardwood flooring in the main areas.    Anyone experienced in this area?     I laid 600 SF of Brazilian Koa in my last house and was really happy with the result.   This house should be a bit more challenging as we are putting in 1700 sf, with a set of stairs included.    I had a question I thought you guys might have an opinion on... underlayment:    The wood product is 3/4x3-5/8 short leaf Acacia. it's a nail down install over plywood sub floor.   I used 15# felt the last time I installed flooring, and have used Aquabar B in the past under tile sub floors but I have been reading about felt pads and cork pad to help dampen floor noise.    Since my install is nail down, I am worried that the felt/cork will compress when walked on, and will cause the cleats to work their way out, and the floor will squeak.    Is there any advantage to the thicker underlay pads?   

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2017 at 4:40pm
I just finished 1900 SF. of White Oak but went engineered floating primarily because of the Infloor heat but also the stability of engineered. It is laid on a thin sponge rubber pad. It does dampen the sound. In your case with nail down, all that's needed is a vapor barrier which you did with the 15# felt.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2017 at 1:58pm
Thanks Pete - easier than I thought then.   I won't over engineer this, just straight up felt and I'll be good to go.

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2017 at 5:19pm
Pete - one more question,    I own a powernail 445 nailer which shoots 16Ga Nails, but I was told last night that I needed to use 18Ga.   Is there a reason that I should drop the size of cleat down?   or is the 16 OK as long as I am not splitting the tongues... I wasn't planning on buying another nailer...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2017 at 5:26pm
Kris,
As long as you aren't splitting the tongues, I see no reason to go with 18ga. Was the concern splitting or something else?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic