Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please Help with tires!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please Help with tires!
    Posted: July-09-2006 at 11:57am
I have a 1982 cc trailer for a 1982 2001. My boat weighes 2350 dry minus gear. The current tires look original , but I'm not sure. I have 14s on the white wheels.How does the load limit work ? D o I split it in halph of max wieght or get tires rated oner 2240 lbs.I am asking cause a got a flat and they don't make 14s rated over 1700lb at most stores ( boaters world ) . Would I be safe using 205/75 x14 rated 1700lbs. Trying to get a spare & get on the water now !!!! Thanks everyone ! DAN
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2006 at 12:27pm
I bet your boat wet plus trailer and gear is close to 3400#. Tire loads are based per axle so you would split the gross weight by the number of tires on that axle and thats the load rating you need to have, in your case 1700#. If you're that close I would go up in rating. They may be a little stiffer riding but the boat won't know the difference.

You can also get your whole rig weighed at most any truck stop for $5 just so you're sure.

One more point, if you have original tires you got your moneys worth. No matter how many miles on a tire they should be replaced after a maximum of 7 years and thats if you keep them out of the sun. They dry out and become a blow out waiting to happen.
1970 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2006 at 5:59pm
How many axle trailer?
1 or 2?
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 12:00am
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 9:56am
get goodyear marathon radial trailer tires
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 1:25pm
Make sure you get trailer tires, they have stronger side walls than auto tires and will have alot more weight capacity than an auto tire the same size.
Tim D
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 11:32pm
what Tim D said! make sure you check load limits of each tire...

I just put new 13" tires on my trailer and found a "T" type tire will carry more weight than a "P" series
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 11:55pm
Yeah, I vote what Tim D said. Make sure you pay attention to the tire pressure of the tires you get. Trailer tires have a lot higher rated pressure than regular cars, don't be surprised if it says 60-80psig. Under-inflating trailer tires causes most of the blow outs you see on the freeway, people think 30-35# like your cars.

And BTW, the rated weight for tires is per tire not axle I believe.
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 12:16am
You also transfer 10-15% of the trailer weight to the tow hitch(generally a rule of thumb)so that helps carry some of the total weight. But as 81 said if you're close, bump to the next rating.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 8:19am
1970 mustang,

yes the rated weight is per tire but you put two on each axle so add them together for your axle load capacity.

Adding to what great78 said, you could also go to a scale and weight each corner of your trailer by placing one wheel on the scale at a time and get your per tire load as well as your tongue weight. We do this with our motorhome to make sure the corners are as equal as possible when fully loaded. Old motorhomes like we have are so close to being overweight it's very important to watch what you're doing when loading.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 1:23pm
That is a good recomendation for trailers, an unevenly loaded trailer will tow like crap and tend to sway more under high winds.
83_2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83_2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 2:16pm
Hey guys, I was looking to get the goodyears, however the local shops are out for almost 2 months! How important is it to get a Radial? I need ST 215 75 14's for my 1983 Ski Nautique 2001. Also, anything I should look for as far as bearing wear? Taking her on a 2 hour trip this weekend and I don't know the boats history, just picked her up a couple of months ago.   Thanks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 2:25pm
where are you located? you don't have to get radials but the ride will be much better than bias-ply's, the trailer will wounder a little were with the radials it will track straight and give a smoother ride while towing.

On the bearings makes sure they are adjusted properly and have plenty of grease. I would take them a part and repack them and inspect for wear on the rollers and races. Make sure there is no rust or pitting and when you rotate then in the race by hand they are smooth with no bumps or roughness when rotating them by hand.
83_2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83_2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 2:33pm
Columbus, Ohio. I just found a Discount Tire that carries a Radial in my size from Carlisle that is pretty reasonable, $74 a tire. People speak pretty highly of the Goodyears, but the Carlisle should be OK right? I'll see what I can do with my bearings, never messed with any before other than greasing 'em a couple of times during the season.
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 2:58pm
83-2001 - I just bought Carlisle tires for my trailer, Probably the same ones that you have. I can say that after 1 trip they are still great
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
83_2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83_2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 3:00pm
Now they are telling me they can't find the Carlisle Tires, however he might have the right size in GreenBall tires? I'll let you know when they can figure out what they actually stock!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 3:21pm
if you want to drive a coule hours i know a shop that can get you teh goodyears overnight.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 5:04pm
Greenball tires are very good trailer tires. Carlisle is junk. Goodyear Marathon's are excellent. This is based on my research and experience. My '77 Martinique on CC trailer ran Goodyears...never a problem. My '93 SN on X-brand trailer runs Greenball's and so far so good. I have heard horror stories with Carlisle trailer tires.

Go with the Greenball if that is what you can get, you will be happy.

Stay away from car tires as the more flexible sidewalls will cause the trailer to sway back and forth going down the road, like others have said.
83_2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83_2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 8:15pm
Went with the Greenball tires, looks good, the tires that were on there had quite a bit of cracking. Looking forward to a weekend trip!
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 11:21pm
If you are going on a couple hour trip and you dont know anything about the trailer , I would spend the extra money and get new bearings for 50$. I put new bearings in mine 10 years ago and kept them greased but they still needed replaced before I took it to GL. It will save you headaches out on the highway. It will also give you piece of mind so you are not wondering when your wheel is going to fall off. Just my 4 cents.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
83_2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83_2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 4:55pm
I was looking up the bearing assemblies on West Marine, do the SN 2001 Trailers have a standard size for the spindle? Little nervous about taking it all apart right before a trip even though it has trailered good for short distances.

Thanks for all the advice thus far guys!
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2006 at 8:09pm
Good and useful thread. If you're not comfortable taking them apart and inspecting the bearings and races, pay someone to do it...or to replace them. You'll drive with an easier mind.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 9:11am
I think the bearings are fairly common if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, the bearing information for my CC trailer went wit the boat when I sold it last year. However, I distinctly remember being able to take the races to an auto parts store and getting an exact match. Remember it is ok to use auto type bearings, but NOT ok to use auto type seals.

Another option is to use new hubs complete with the bearings and seals. But, you will need to ensure that the bearings and stud pattern are correct for your application. Your best bet would be to get the parts from a local trailer manufacturer or supply house, if one exists where you are located.

If time is short, which it sounds as if it is, then take 79Nuatiques' advice and just ensure the hub rotates smoothly (not notchy or gritty feel), check for excessive radial movement and if all seems ok, ensure that the bearings are well greased and cross your fingers.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2006 at 10:06pm
Dan How did your trip go ? I hope everything went fine . Just curious.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 3:30pm
Good information in this thread. I don't have anything to contribute other than to tell a related story. Just pulled my 76 Ski Tique 850 miles.    Last time I made this trip, a tire blew on I-95... it didn't just blow, it disintigrated. No spare. I did have a few tools. Took off tire. Exit one mile down road. Tire store at bottom of ramp. I was back on the road in under an hour, mostly because of dumb luck.

For this trip I greased up the bearing buddies and decided a spare was warranted. Hard to find one local. Found some at distant boat shops, rim and tire, $140. As I was running out of time, I went to local tire fix it shop. He had an old 14" rim laying around and a tire to put on it. So I got a spare and rim for $16. Wouldn't want to make long trips on it, but for a spare, I felt ok. Made the 850 mile trip with out a single problem. I was really fearing my bearings frying. Two new trailer tires are in order before making the trip again and the info on this thread helped a lot. (one tire is new and ok, the other one is older and showing signs of dry rot, my father in law was convinced it would never make the trip. I think originals were car tires from PO.) Also think I'll pick up a spare hub to carry. Many years ago I fried a hub a long way from home on a Sunday. No fun.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2006 at 11:50pm
Thought I would add to the post...

Total agreement on the Goodyear marathons! Another tire I really like and have on two rigs...Towmax "power king" radials...very nice tire and they run cool even on hot days.They also make the higher load 13's (1700 lbs).
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 11:13am
I've now run Carlisles on my dual axle DHM trailer for 3 years (4000#Gross from the scale) I bought the boat 600 miles away and have made the same drive 4 times with no problems. I think the secret is keep them out of the sun keep them properly inflated (incredibly thats at 35PSI)and keep the bearings packed and water free.
cisom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2006 at 5:04pm
I finally blew out the last Carlisle tire this summer. I will never buy Carlisle again. These were brand new tires, were properly inflated, etc. Junk, junk junk.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2006 at 9:09am
My father called me yesterday to ask my oppinions on new tires for his horse trailer. He currently has and wanted to go back with pa$$enger car tires. The sales rep at Discount Tire correctly advised him to go with trailer or utility tires. However, the sales rep was pushing the Carlisle tires. Then he called me. I strongly advised him to go with either the Greenball (Tow Master) or Goodyear Marathons and stay away from the Carlisle. The $100 or so more for the better tires (4) is well worth the peace of mind and safety.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic