Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition Issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
A2VeeDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A2VeeDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition Issues
    Posted: June-05-2017 at 12:06am
I recently purchased a 94 Nautique Excel with the 351 HO motor. it has had the coil pack ignition swapped for a distributor and coil. The dizzy is a YLM Mallory Breakerless Magnetic unit. The ignition module in the distributor overheats after the boat has been running for a short time. I can ice it down with dust-off and it recovers immediately. I have replaced the whole module and pick up assembly with new. I have replaced the coil and almost every other component possible. The dizzy is an automotive unit and i know it should have a marine unit in it, but this shouldn't have anything to do with the problem i am having, i wouldn't think. Has anyone ever heard of this? I want to just buy another distributor type and go with it, but i see on SKIDIM they pretty much recommend the mallory breakerless magnetic. I feel like this unit is the one that should work, but it doesn't.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

Bryan
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 2:15am
What coil?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 12:14pm
Like Hollywood asked what coil are you running. This is the coil recommend for those distributors.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-29219/overview/
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 3:27pm
You might want to add a ballast resistor, if it doesn't have one.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
A2VeeDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A2VeeDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 7:10pm
Thanks for the replies.

I have that same 29219 mallory coil. i have had many others on there as well. i bought that one as a last ditch effort since it was the specific one mallory recommended. There is a ballast resistor in line to the coil and not to the ignition as the ignitions wiring diagrams and info say to do it. So far i have replaced the coil, ignition module (in the distributor), the ballast resistor, spark plugs, plug wires cap, rotor. It is definitely the module that is overheating and not the coil. The coil was only just warm the last time it messed up. I would pull the cap and then ice down the module and it ran for several minutes until it heat soaked again. I am lost on this one. I am hesitant to buy a new distributor and/or ignition system without at least diagnosing why this one is messing up.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 7:38pm
How much voltage is your charging system putting out at higher RPM like about 3000 or so?

Not as measured at your dash voltmeter, but measured with a Volt-Ohmeter at the battery terminals and again at the red supply wire to the distributor

Do you have a good clean ground connection for the brown ground wire from the module?
A2VeeDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A2VeeDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 12:07am
I will try to get this info tomorrow if i have a chance. It is supposed to rain some. I called the Mallory tech line and he was concerned with the ground quality as well as the voltage at the coil. he recommended to run the ground back to the battery to be sure and to measure voltage at the coil positive. He said too much voltage at the coil can cause the ignition module to overheat. He also said it is important to check voltage at operating loads as you suggested. He said the voltage to the distributor positive is not that important.

Wish me luck.

Thanks for your help so far.
phrnjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phrnjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 11:23am
Some ignition modules need a heatsink k grease applied before mounting g. GM HEI units need it and will burn up if it's not used.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic