Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sport Nautique Strut Damage

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
WayBow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WayBow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sport Nautique Strut Damage
    Posted: June-05-2017 at 12:34am
Hi
I am thinking of purchasing a 1997 Sport Nautique. The boat has had Strut and Strut Mount damage which has been poorly repaired. I would like to know, if the repair that has been done and what we can see from the inside of the boat is OK for use, or does a proper repair need to be undertaken. The boat / repair does not leak and the shaft runs true without vibration.
Photos

Any advice on this would be appreciated as other than the strut damage the boat is in very goo condition
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 6:16am
Wayne,
Did the seller make the "repair"? From the pictures of the bilge, I can make out some cracking that looks like it went all the way through so, I would suggest a better repair. Personally, I would not use the boat until the repair is made. You state the shaft runs "true". Was a full strut forward alignment done? Keep in mind a misaligned shaft will not vibrate since it's being bound.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 8:31pm
I agree on repairing the boat before you run it. But if you check the alignment and it is straight then it is up to you.

FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 11:25pm
If you haven't bought the boat yet, this should qualify for a big markdown.

It definitely needs to be reinforced, but that is something you could do yourself. About 20 hours of time & $100 of materials needed.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
WayBow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WayBow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 9:58am
Hi
Thanks fr all the replies. I have decided t fix the damage before use. My question now is what weight and what type of fibreglass is used for the strut support ? Is it mat or cloth ? Any special resin type ?
Tis
Wayne
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 11:09am
Definitely use epoxy resin, I have had good luck with US Composites, but there are many similar products. I would use cloth. Your resin supplier can probably help you select the right weight.

I would grind the whole area down to get to raw glass fibers. Make each layer about 1 inch bigger than the previous one. Rounded corners are better. You can lay multiple layers wet-on-wet. Just get all of the air out before the next layer.

Morfoot is our resident glass expert, I am sure he had more tips to help you.

Good luck.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic