NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

major issue with engine 351/tranny 1.23:1

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 12:03pm
Seems like a workable theory Joe, I'll defer to your expertise... perhaps i jumped to conclusions on the damper bein absolved of sin since it hadn't changed! Seems there should be obvious damage to the bellhousing ribs in this scenario, right?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 12:05pm
It was the smoking gun...
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

. I noticed some wear marks on the tranny where the damper is contacting the ribs. They look very fresh.]
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

It was the smoking gun...

WOW this is like a good old Hart to Hart mystery.
I think I have to go with Tim as Stephanie Powers, sorry Joe leaves you as Robert Wagner.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 1:32pm

The engine builder called and .............................commercial break!

I dont like my part in the show! :)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 5:15pm
Since the commercial break isn't over yet, I'll just throw out there that there must have been one helluva noise from the self machining process and a lot of friction when starting the engine too if the bell housing was tightened down on the damper plate/flywheel
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 5:28pm
Not one noise until it went south. Ran perfect for about 5 hours. Right before it quit, my wife said "it sounded funny when you accelerated". I brushed it off and kept going. She was right, I never heard it from the driver seat.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

Not one noise until it went south. Ran perfect for about 5 hours. Right before it quit, my wife said "it sounded funny when you accelerated". I brushed it off and kept going. She was right, I never heard it from the driver seat.

Why are wives so good at hearing funny noises?
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 5:37pm
Wonder if that is when the bearing went south and let the crank wander backward into the bellhousing???
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 5:39pm
Did the thrust bearing disintegrate? Did the crank shift forward blocking the oil passages on the mains?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 5:48pm
Obviously...............the commercial ain't over yet
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 5:56pm
Damn cliffhangers.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Damn cliffhangers.

I hope it's not the season finale with a 3 or 4 month wait for the next episode
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 6:34pm
Or worse- not picked up for next years season like Married with Children
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 2:24am
Preview for the next episode.....

I took the tranny, damper, and flywheel over to the mechanic tonight. We talked at length about everything. We have everything to rebuild the motor. New crank, pistons, rods, bearings, etc. No shortcuts. He is going back through every part. Including checking all valve springs from the rebuilt heads I supplied. He said a couple were out of spec and needed shims.

We are going to remove some metal on the ribs of the bell housing. Install the damper without the spacers (as recommended by some here and by Vince at SKIDIM), and install the tranny. Once it is all together, we are going to check crank end play to make sure it is in spec. Prime the oil pump and gets some oil pumping through it prior to starting.

Stay tuned.
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 9:33am
The mechanic said the bearings failed due to too much forward thrust. Obviously he could see the wear on the front side of the bearing, but never said anything about wear on the opposite side. The back side of the thrust bearing would have to be shot to let the rotating assembly side that far back. I think he may be on to it with the washers being in the wrong spot.. Pictures of the bearings would be nice. I know it is the pits doing and engine twice,   Been there done that. I try to be very methodical and check everything 10 times trying not to make a mistake.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 10:20am
Originally posted by fgroce fgroce wrote:

The mechanic said the bearings failed due to too much forward thrust. Obviously he could see the wear on the front side of the bearing, but never said anything about wear on the opposite side. The back side of the thrust bearing would have to be shot to let the rotating assembly side that far back. I think he may be on to it with the washers being in the wrong spot.. Pictures of the bearings would be nice. I know it is the pits doing and engine twice,   Been there done that. I try to be very methodical and check everything 10 times trying not to make a mistake.

I think you got that backwards Frank

If there was too much forward thrust, the front of the crank surface that rides on the rear surface of the thrust bearing is where the problem would have started.

But I figure every bearing is a mess right now and both sides of #3 (the thrust bearing) are messed up along with plenty of other parts.

Thrust bearing failures aren't pretty.

Look at the list of what he's replacing..

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 10:29am
I'm thinking an oil delivery issue is what started his problems, wiped out the bearings and then the "self machining" of the bellhousing happened.

Like I said earlier, strictly my guess from a long distance away and not seeing any of the parts
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 10:59am
I guess that is possible, but I had a new oil pump, good oil pressure, right up until failure. When we cut open the filter there were no shavings, or indication of bearing wear.

Still some unanswered questions for me.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 11:07am
Keno I think you are reaching a bit, thrust bearings dont typically fail without a good reason, certainly not likely the first thing to fail due to oil starvation.   A little bit of pressure on a trust bearing though will fail the oil film and start the trouble, Once you wear through the fancy coating on the bearing things go down hill fast- then you cant maintain oil pressure then its over. I see no reason to doubt the machinist based on the info at hand. Party on, youll be skiing soon.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 12:22pm
That all sounds good to me Joe

But it seems like if the damper was in contact with the bell housing from the beginning there would have been funny and loud noises to let him know something wasn't right based on the picture of the bell housing and the grooves cut into it.

And I can't get past the fact that his original engine had the same damper, spacer washers, flywheel, transmission with no issues of interference between the damper and the ribs in the bell housing.

Besides it makes for good conversation

emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2017 at 12:06am
todays episode:

Everything back together. We removed the damper washers and some metal on the ribs of the bell housing. Put it together and verified the proper end play for the crank. (.005). Right in spec. We took an old dizzy, removed the gear and chucked it up to a drill and primed the oil pump and made sure it had oil up into the rockers.

I finished putting everything back on the motor and got it into the boat tonight. This was the first time I used a carb mounted lifting ring. It is the way to go.

The next episode will be hooking some odds and ends up, alignment, and a test start. Should be ready to hit the water by the weekend. Fingers crossed.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 12:36pm
Time for the results of the next episode yet ?
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 5:29pm
Fingers are still crossed but it seems to be running very well.

Not so funny story.....I ran it for an hour or two on the hose. Everything was fine. I put it in the water, fired right up and temperature went straight past 160. Shut it down, Thank goodness I was watching the temp. Busted elbow on the raw water filter. Luckily I had an extra. Back in the water and I left it connected to the trailer just in case something went wrong. My son, who was driving the truck didnt really understand what I was doing, since I didnt tell him, and backed me in pretty deep. After i unhooked the bow he pulled out and the guide pole scratched the new paint on the port side!! I didnt have the covers on because I leave the trailer out in the weather in the summer and I take them off so they dont bake in the sun. Arrghhh. My own stupidity.

On the bright side. We ran the boat another hour or two with no issues. Good temps and oil pressure. Just easy cruising, trying to vary the rpms. I am going to run it another hour or two, change the oil, then its game on. Time to ski and enjoy my labor.

Next season's episode will include touch up painting!!

fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 8:56pm
Glad to hear you are back on the lake. Keep an eye on everything.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Shep72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shep72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 10:45pm
What oil are you running? Are you running a Zinc break in additive?
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 11:31pm
yes, running conventional oil 10W30 with break in lube. I am running it for 5 hours then swapping to VR1 40wt
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 9:37am
well let's hope for some boring episodes coming up with only oil changes etc. and some skiing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic