NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

under-floor foam

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: under-floor foam
    Posted: June-09-2017 at 1:27pm
Contemplating an early SN requiring stringer/floor job. Have read much here.
Question: Why replace the foam? If it is such a problematic issue, why not delete it?
Could flotation be achieved by packing the underside of deck and gunnels?
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 1:47pm
that's been a hot debate in the past, you might try searching using the Google feature but several guys have opted out of foam for exactly the reason you describe.   the USCG does require a specific amount of floatation from the factory, and changing the amount of flotation and the location may affect an insurance outcome should your boat ever find itself under the water, so definitely proceed with caution.   
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 3:39pm
I would like to see how much flotation water soaked foam actually adds.
I for one did not put foam back in, I'm not really concerned about how much the insurance company is going to pay off on a 30+ year old boat.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 5:03pm
Paul - Certainly not trying to throw stones at anyone who has opted out of the foam discussion, just trying to make the point that it might affect how the insurance company would respond to a sinking/total loss situation.    I don't want to afford another boat, so it's a part of the equation for me, as was purchasing a fiberglass stringered boat so that I didn't have to do stringers. Your point about water soaked foam is certainly valid in my opinion, but adjusters don't work for me, or respond to logical arguments from my past experience with insurance companies.   I love the older boats too, and some day may bring one back, and would probably opt for no foam.    
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 5:39pm
I really doubt an insurance adjuster is going to pull up the floor to see how much foam is underneath of it.
They're going to pull it out check to see if all the parts are there motor/tranny etc. do a quick look for an obvious reason why it sunk then write you a big fat check for about $3,500 after they deduct for torn upholstery hours on the meter and what not. That's why I only have liability on my '85 it's not worth paying the extra insurance in case it sinks or you wreck it, you'll be upside down in a hurry compared to what they're going to give you. You'd be better off taking that money and putting it away somewhere and saving it for a down payment on the next one.

I just went through this for a '93 Honda that I had and some lady wrecked into me and totaled it. The car had 350,00 miles on it but it was mechanically sound, I drove it 100 miles round trip to work and home. I had just put a new head on it rotors brakes and drums all the way around and an exhaust and a few other things. I had to fight to try to recover 1/4th the money I just put into it. What they ended up paying me for it would barely cover a good set of tires for my F-250.

Enough of the off topic rant the reason I didn't put the foam back in is 1) I wanted the boat light as possible and 2) the obvious didn't want to trap water under the floor next to all new wood and glass.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 10:43am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

then write you a big fat check for about $3,500 after they deduct for torn upholstery hours on the meter and what not. That's why I only have liability on my '85 it's not worth paying the extra insurance in case it sinks or you wreck itEnough of the off topic rant the reason I didn't put the foam back in is 1) I wanted the boat light as possible and 2) the obvious didn't want to trap water under the floor next to all new wood and glass.

I added foam in the "dry areas" where I knew water would not waterlog the foam. None under the floor (or sole, sorry P)
As for insurance, I opted for agreed value. Same as my hot rods. That way you get a check for the "agreed value" and not some deflated book price. Not much per year.
Waterlogged foam won't float much weight. JMO
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 6:35pm
Duane gets it, well said.

I believe it was FrankT who had a (waterlogged) foamed boat end up on the bottom.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 9:58pm
I have an agreed value on my '95 Signature Edition, never bothered on the '85 may check into it now since it's been completely redone.
Like Kris said if the insurance company wants to get $hitty about it, adding foam to where you believe it will help may not fly. I really don't see them getting that into it unless they think you're trying to scam them.
After pulling the heavy wet foam out of mine I have to agree with what Tim said, I don't see wet foam doing much of anything in the way of flotation.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 11:07am
Yes, one can.
other boats put foam in the very bow, and under the gunnels, and a few strips below the floor strapped in with glass.
Its basically for recovery purposes.

CC chose to cavity fill like a ranger or whaler, to get the 'solid' feel and relative quietness in chop, and look at me, one can cut a hole with a chain saw and it still floats and drives effect, if you're into such things.. Might be handy in a log-ridden river.

my non cc, had to remove some bow foam to make bow storage that was absent in the early models. so, just threw some pool noodles under the new floor. still lets the air circulate, and water drain away, ensures the boat remains recoverable.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Yes, one can.
other boats put foam in the very bow, and under the gunnels, and a few strips below the floor strapped in with glass.
Its basically for recovery purposes.

"for recovery purposes" is a key consideration for anyone thinking about foam or none. I personally feel no foam is the way to go but, if you are doing a stringer job, it should be done better than the factory. With CPES and careful glassing with epoxy, wet foam should not create a moisture issue with the wood. I also feel that injecting foam into cavities is better than pouring. Injecting creates a skin on the foam outer surfaces that prevents water being absorbed. Pouring foam requires cutting the top surface off to level it and this opens up the cells.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic