NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damper Plate - Run it or wait?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
joshjanae View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjanae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damper Plate - Run it or wait?
    Posted: June-10-2017 at 12:00pm
I just got my boat running after blowing a head gasket. Replaced the heads with GT40p heads. Had it at the lake and it ran great. There is a noise (sounds like the rocks in the tranny) when I put it into gear. The noise promptly goes away with the slightest acceleration. From what I have read, this is the damper plate and it needs replaces.

Can I run the boat anyway?

How likely is this to fail and what can I expect if it does?

My son wants to go wakeboarding today but I an hesitant, should I just go and bring some paddles - just in case?

I have already ordered a new damper plate. I got the sachs one that is already cut down for the smaller flywheel. Hope that was right!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 12:08pm
From the title it sounds like you aren't sure whether to change it, but since you say you ordered one I guess you decided to do it! Good choice, not hard to do and not something to be ignored.

Having said that, and others here might disagree, I'd run the boat and put a smile on the kids face today. The noise is likely weak or broken springs on the damper, but could be a tranny problem as well. If when above idle speed the sound goes away completely, and the boat accelerates without hesitation, I'd be ok running it for a day or two that way.

Again, if someone else disagrees with me by all means listen to them, I've been known to run stuff until it breaks at times.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 12:27pm
I'm with 63 skier on this.

How's your idle speed, if it's real low, bump it up some and maybe the noise will go away.

Shoot for say 600 to 650 rpm in gear.

It can be from too low an idle or also from an engine needing a tuneup, along with being a bad damper.

Did it rattle before the head replacement?

If not, maybe it's just the idle speed needing some adjustment.

Bring a paddle for each person in the boat
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 12:29pm
Mine is in need of replacement too. I plan to replace in the offseason. Were mine a direct drive I'd be inclined to do it now. Ive been told that the noise mine is making is just a nuisance and will not cause other components to wear or fail prematurely. I'm running the risk of having it fail during the season but that's easier than making the time to do it now.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 1:45pm
As to when a bad damper (dampner?) causes tranny failure or other issues, it's there to dampen the shock of engine torque being applied to the tranny suddenly. So a broken spring or other damper issue just causes more shock to the system, which isn't good. I'd have no issue running for a weekend like I said above, but I wouldn't run it that way for a season.
joshjanae View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjanae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2017 at 3:29pm
Thanks all. I plan on replacing next week. Plate gets here on the 16th. There may have been some noise prior to replacing the heads, Idle speed may be a bit low, I'm think the carburetor needs a tune and I probably need new plug wires. The plugs are brand new autolite 104s. I'm not too familiar with how to tune the carb, but I will read up on it. I have a lot of experience on 2 stroke dirt bike carbs so hopefully some of that will transfer over.

I did learn, while placing the heads, that the points have been replaces by a per lux electronic ignition. Good or bad, I don't know? I love the boat and with the repairs and the original purchase price I am very happy with it. Here's my daughter enjoying the boat this Wednessday. This is with the new heads, first day out, having fun with the kids.

First 360
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 11:37am
Love that video! How old is she, looks like a natural!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 12:12pm
My only experience with a bad dampner plate was a bad one. It put rearward thrust to the pump of the velvet drive and shelled not one but two pumps. It was a very expensive lesson. Not saying yours will do that just saying mine did.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
joshjanae View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshjanae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 2:16pm
Thanks, She is 7 years old. She tried skis, this last time out but we didn't have great success. I don't have trainers or anything, so that would probably help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic