Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TSC ski nautique rudder packing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jeclarke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeclarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TSC ski nautique rudder packing
    Posted: June-11-2017 at 6:13pm
I have a model year 2001 ski and am looking for some advice as to how to get to the packing gland for the rudder. How much of the boat do I need to disassemble in order to see it and possibly change the packing.

Does the fuel tank need to be removed?
Goldcup101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 6:37pm
I'm under there doing jobs at the moment on my 97 TSC. Tank needs to come out I'm afraid. That isn't a huge job mind you.
jeclarke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeclarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 4:29pm
I was afraid of that. Thanks for the information.

How is one supposed to know if the rudder packing needs to be adjusted or replaced.? If the tank is out that means the boat isn't in the water so you can't tell if it's leaking or not.

My 2001 TSC only has 200 hours on it and I'm trying to track down where water is coming into the bilge. It's maybe a half gallon when I drive the boat for 20 minutes. It doesn't seem to come in when the boat is at the dock, with the engine off or on. The boat needs to be moving. for the water to accumulate.

Goldcup101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 4:35pm
You should be able to see if the rudder port is leaking by removing the rear floor section and looking aft under the tank. There is enough toom to see, just not enough room to work on the rudder without removing the tank.

No ide how to tell if it needs replacing or not but an expert will probably be along shortly!
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 4:56pm
Have you checked the prop shaft stuffing box?
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 7:00pm
John,
If you do find that the rudder port needs attention, don't remove the fuel tank yet. You should be able to reach under the tank with a couple wrenches to tighten up the packing gland. Unlike the prop shaft packing that needs careful tightening due to the high RPM rotation, the rudder packing can be tightened fairly tight. Try it before repacking.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jeclarke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeclarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 11:14pm
The prop shaft packing seems good with just a few drops per minute. Thanks.
jeclarke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeclarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 4:49pm
Thanks for the advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic