Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dsquad13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsquad13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb issue
    Posted: June-11-2017 at 6:25pm
1989 SN 2001 with the 351 pcm and Holley carb. Had the carb rebuilt over the winter and put it in the water to test and tune, boat ran great but the float bowl pressed in plugs were leaking so I replaced the float bowls Memorial Day weekend and the boat ran awesome. Had it out on the water last night and it was stalling out when trying to holeshot, it could get up to skiing speed after it warmed up, and then ran good. Today I started it and it fired right up and idled very nicely....BUT when I put it in forward it kept dying out(reverse worked just fine). So I limped it over to the boat launch and now it's in the garage. Any ideas on what would cause it to flood in forward but not neutral?
dippin' hip, and throwin' walls
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 6:54pm
I have several thoughts...
- have you replaced your fuel filter?
- quality of gas in the tank (old or new?)
- have you checked your ignition timing? static and at RPM
- check your float levels
- Did you tune your idle to achieve the appropriate idle vacuum once you reset your carb?
- what is your idle speed (RPM)
- check for vacuum leaks, particularly around the base gasket (hopefully they are new, both of them)
- Cable adjustment plays a part in the transmission engagement/throttle response scenario, you may be bumping your throttle up in reverse before the transmission engages, that would explain the stalling one direction vs the other.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 8:52pm
Doesn't reverse spin 1/2 speed of fwd? That is what I remember, anyways. Would explain the difference.

Obviously something has changed if performance has dropped. Ignition or fuel or air (how clean is the spark arrestor?)
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
dsquad13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsquad13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 9:30pm
Fuel filter has not been replaced. Gas in the tank is a mostly new gas. Idle is about 600-700 rpm. Vacuum and timing were both checked at the initial startup of the season. I have not checked float levels since replacing them but it did run good the first weekend. And how do I check if the cable needs adjustment. Also there is some gas in the exhaust like it's got the same look as when you spill a little gas in the water.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 9:53pm
Accelerator pump working?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dsquad13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsquad13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 10:46pm
Would a faulty accelerator pump still idle in neutral perfectly? And how do I check the pump?
dgabler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgabler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 4:25am
Mine idled just fine without the accel pump linkage connected. On the carb, port/bow side there is an arm that runs to port. That arm is connected to the accel pump. Push it down (below the screw with the spring on it) and with the flame arrestor removed you should see fuel squirt into the bow side barrels on the carb, below the choke.

For reference the arm I am talking about is just below the spring on the bottom left of this picture. Not your carb I would guess but close enough for you to get the idea : http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/500/510/510-0-3310S.jpg
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 2:50pm
So with your response, I think you need to verify float levels, and check the base gaskets and accelerator pump like Pete suggested.   Accelerator pump would allow a good idle, it only adds fuel when accelerating.   We have also seen needle and seat valves be problematic at times before, if you are adjusting the float levels, I would check to make sure the needle/seat actually shuts off flow in the bowls.   you can do this with mouth pressure only, don't use compressed air.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic