Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1982 SN Water In Oil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
82NautiqueTN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82NautiqueTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1982 SN Water In Oil
    Posted: June-13-2017 at 5:46pm
I just bought my first SN last year. Did some maintenance on it over the winter. Updated wiring, installed an electric ignition, new spark plugs, new water pump impeller, changed the oil / filter & a few other things.

So yesterday I took it out to check out everything & if was running a little rough & popping at higher rpms, but I thought maybe everything had to set its self w/ putting the electric ignition in & impeller. So I lifted up my hood & there was steam blowing out of the oil cap vent tube. When I saw that I turned it off right away & pulled the dipstick. It was a milking white, which I know means waters in my oil.

When I first started running it I notice my engine temp when up above normal. I thought maybe my thermostat wasn't opening up. I turned off the engine & let it cooled down. Once it got down to a safe level I started it up & tested it again. This time it didn't go above 165 to 170, but the engine was still popping so I lifted the hood & that's when I saw the steam from the oil vent tube.

My thought would be head gasket or crack in the head. Would a compression test tell me anything other then which cylinder it would be close to?

I could really use some guidance/wisdom on my next move.

Thanks,

Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82NautiqueTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 5:47pm
I meant to say that my engines a 351 W
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 6:01pm
Josh,
Running a compression test would be my first suggestion but, it won't tell you where the leak is just what cylinder or cylinders are the problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82NautiqueTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 6:09pm
Thanks Peter! I'll make that my first move.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 6:27pm
Before you move on to a compression test, check and see if you have water in your cylinders. If so, drain the block and manifolds and get the water out of the cylinders. Then do compression test. If it comes back ok, then intake or exhaust manifolds may be the culprit. Exhaust manifolds crack first when overheated per my experience.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82NautiqueTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 6:38pm
How would do I check to see if there's water in my cylinders? I assumed it was because when I pulled the dipstick it was milky? What's the best way to drain the block & manifolds?

Since you brought up the Exhaust manifolds having a crack. They were dripping some water, but I didn't think that would have anything to do w/water getting in the oil?

The water that pumps throw the engine exits out of the exhaust right?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 6:58pm
Pull your spark plugs and spin the engine over. If water comes out then you have your answer. Plenty of other ways for water to get into the oil besides the cylinders.

Cracked exhaust manifolds are not good. The external cracks aren't the large concern, it's the internal ones that you can't see. Nothing stopping water from seeping back into the cylinder(s) if cracked internally. Water is not supposed to mix with the exhaust gas until the aft part of the riser (where it cannot easily flow back uphill).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82NautiqueTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 7:05pm
Thanks!

I'll check that out. Really appreciate all your help! I'll let you know how it all works out.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 9:28pm
I know a timing cover failure on the 460 Ford can dump water in the oil, is that the case with a 351W? I don't know.
If your compression is good and the head gasket intact you can test the engine seal using Air Pressure. I set up a system on two engines this year and was able to pressurize the block by plugging all the water exit holes. I did not test the exhaust manifolds but I did rule out internal leaks with air.   Be careful not to exceed 35 PSI if you do this because more pressure can start blowing out good gaskets in your engine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic