Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

97 GM PCM EFI Key will not engage starter

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GolferMoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GolferMoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 97 GM PCM EFI Key will not engage starter
    Posted: June-13-2017 at 8:49pm
All lights and fuel pump comes on when I push ignition switch and turn the key.

But when I turn it to start the engine does nothing no battery draw no clicking of the starter nothing at all.

Batt is good.

Bad ignition switch or maybe loose wire or bad solenoid?

97 PCM EFI GM motor.

Thanks! Moss
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2017 at 12:01pm
Get out the VOM! as Pete would say.

I prefer a simple test light for stuff like this. But yeah, you have to ground your test light on your battery, engine block or other known good ground.

Then, probe the input side of the key. You should have constant voltage there. Well, if you have an ignition breaker, make sure that is on first,

Then, probe the ignition post on the key. You should be getting voltage to that post when the key is in the run position. Sounds like you are since the fuel pump comes on etc. But, double check.

Finally, probe the start post of they key. If you aren't, well then it's the key. If you are getting voltage at the start post with the key in the start position, it's something else.

Oh yeah, something else like the neutral safety switch. The start voltage has to go through that switch.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GolferMoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2017 at 12:09pm
Thanks very much!

I can wrench but electrics are not my forte. So thanks for the details on what I am looking for when checking the posts! headed out to check it now.
Thanks! Moss
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2017 at 12:15pm
Glad to help. Remember that the key switch and neutral safety switch are only switching positive current.

Just leave your test light ground or VOM ground, grounded in one spot on your battery negative or engine block, while you poke around with your positive probe.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2017 at 12:51pm
Step 1: Jiggle throttle

(Slightly misadjusted shift cable will trip NSS even when the control is in neutral.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GolferMoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2017 at 8:56pm
The ignition switch works.all 3 post and positions. I started the engine by using a screw driver touching the post on the solenoid with the batt cable and the small post with the white wire. doing the same thing from batt cable to starter post and starter spins but does not engage to the motor.

I think power is not getting from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid?

And thanks for telling me the check that it was in neutral. I could have totally missed that!!
Thanks! Moss
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2017 at 9:21pm
Scott,
By shunting the start relay (solenoid) with the screw driver, you simply bypassed the relay. You say you got power from the ignition switch in all 3 positions which is good. Now as Brian and Tim mentioned, you need to check the NSS on the trans. With someone turning the ignition key switch to the start/crank position, check for power into and out of the NSS.. If you get power out, move to the start relay and check for power going to it's coil. It will be a small terminal typically tagged with a "S". Report back to what you find.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GolferMoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2017 at 10:45am
I checked the kill switch on and off in both the start and run positions and got voltage in and out with it on. And in only with it out or off.

Is the NSS at the throttle position? Headed out to check those and then the coil now.

Couldn't I just run a new wire directly from the start position on key switch to the start post on the solenoid???

reaching just trying to get on the water. My boat guy is swamped I got responses from him yesterday at 10;30pm when he finally got of the water.

Thanks so much for the help you guys have been great!!!!!

I can't express enough gratitude you guys really know your stuff!!!
Thanks! Moss
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2017 at 11:21am
The Neutral Safety Switch is on the transmission itself. It should be the only thing with electrical wires on the actual transmission. One wire in and one wire out.

If you did any kind of a shortcut, you'd be able to accidentally start the boat in gear. If you find you need a new NSS and were trying to save your weekend, you could tie those two wires together, going around the switch. But, you'd want to really be careful, really not recommended.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GolferMoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2017 at 1:20pm
I am an idiot. The throttle was straight up and down but I jiggled it anyway and heard the click.

very angry and very happy at the same time!

I did find the NSS and it tested fine after I put the boat totally in neutral.

Problem solved!

Thanks for all of your time and concern. I would still be out in the heat working on it if it were not for you guys!
Thanks! Moss
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2017 at 2:43pm
Glad you found the solution!

At least now you know how it all works.
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2017 at 9:28am
Happens to the best of us, glad it was an easy fix!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic