Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No spark

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gerald1152 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald1152 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No spark
    Posted: June-19-2017 at 11:46pm
I have a 1987 ski nautique with the 351 ford. I have no spark at all. The things I have replaced so far are: distributor cap and rotor, electronic ignition pickup , and coil. I don't have the resistor nor did I prior to this. Lost right now to say the least. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 12:14am
test voltage at the coil?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald1152 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 12:45am
I have 12 volts with key on. And about 9.5 ish while cranking. The voltage drop is from the simple cranking of the the engine. Also have jumper cables on battery to assist while trying.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 1:34am
So, spark starts at the battery, as you noted, you need 12 volts at the coil when the key is on. the cranking voltage drop is common, and some people have run an additional 12 v from the start position of the key and bypassed the ballast resistor to increase the voltage during this starting procedure...   might be worth looking at. since you already have voltage though, you can go to the next step:

Test the coil.    there are a couple of ways to test a coil, you can put a spark plug wire in the center post of the coil , connect to a spark plug and ground the end of the spark plug.   Watch to see if there is a spark in the plug gap.    You can also measure the resistance of the coil primary to ground terminal... This will be different for each coil brand so you need to find out what the intended resistance should be for your coil.   

If your coil checks out, the next spot that the spark goes is into the points (if you have points).   poorly adjusted points or corroded point contacts can stop the spark from the coil travelling to the distributor cap. file/adjust/replace the points and set the dwell.      Setting points includes having a dwell meter, if you don't have one, you can buy one on a timing light, or an engine analyzer type meter.    If you have an electronic ignition module, this could happen too, i am not sure of the process to test an electronic ignition module though.

Try these steps and report back...   there are guys on this forum that are much better at this stuff than I am... but I think this will get you pointed in the right direction
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2017 at 7:05am
Gerry,
Did the engine run before you changed the parts? Why did you change the parts?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald1152 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 12:54am
I started changing parts due to not having any spark
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 9:43am
In OP you mentioned you changed the EI pickup. Can you elaborate? What brand was it? on some there is a gap setting.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald1152 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 10:30am
It's a petronix. And no gap adjustment. The other day I notices that the tach jumps around a lot while cranking. Is the whole boat grounded out somehow?
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 10:53am

I did a Google on "pertronix module test" and came up with this along with many others

Pertronix module test

edit above
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2017 at 12:48pm
disconnect the Tach and see if your problem goes away. A bad tach can ground out your coil.
Disconnect at the coil, could also be grounded wire.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic